SCCA Autocross results thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by CrookedRacer, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

You think the rear bar helped? Any chance running with it and with out it?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Given it was our season opener "Boondoggle" event (i.e. crazy turnout, so don't even think about fun runs or screwing around much between runs) AND I was one of the event chairs, I was lucky to just make my runs period ;)

FWIW, on the street there doesn't seem to be a lot of cornering difference between with and without the rear bar. It did make the street ride a little rougher.

I'll be interested in Des' results with the bigger front bar. I have an Eibach ready to go in, but have been hesitant due to my ST Civic experience (i.e. very noticable degradation in corner exit power down as you went up in front bar size...we ended up just using appropriate springs and NO front bar on that car!).

4. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I get that...I am looking forward to front bar feedback too. Out of curiosity how do you usually do against Josh?

5. First time I've run in same class as Josh. As Des can attest, Josh is really (really) good, so being within a second on basically my first concrete event in the car I'm fine with that :)

6. Des

Des Active Member

Josh has probably 50 or 60 runs between his car and mine. You'll close that up a bunch just with more seat time and wider rubber up front. And you were ahead of Navid, who's not too shabby. It's a good start!

My feeling on the rear bar was that it did help a tiny bit at low speeds but really sabotaged the loaded tire in sweepers. I didn't miss it once we took it off.

7. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I will be driving one with a front bar in 2 1/2 weeks now if all goes as planned, can't wait to compare.

8. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I thought there was only one set of Konis for our cars. What's crappier about Josh's Konis? My observations on the rear bar match Des and Impala, little help on-course and worse ride on the street. If someone wants to try it if be happy to sell them my bar though :).

9. Mightymango

There is only one set of Konis available.

10. Josh has the STR.T Konis , which is all that was available for a while I believe ;)

11. JLWSN

JLWSN Member

Managed to take first yesterday at the Dixie Championship Tour. Car (completely stock) felt great with just 205/45/16 RS3s on Sparco Assettos. Hope to find out if there is a faster tire and size available

12. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Nice work. We run into size issues with so many of the tires. I think 205 is on the thin side, but maybe you are onto something. Great job!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. k757

k757 Active Member

First run of year..... ugh

I was on brand new Dunlop Z2 SS (225/45-16) tires and was in the first session. Ground was damp and cold as were the tires

KKaWing likes this.
  14. Des

Des Active Member

Porsche club again (PNW SCCA doesn't start for a few weeks yet ...), on Star Specs, Konis, 22mm FSB.
    11th fastest overall of ~80, second behind Ron Bauer's DP Miata if they paxed. It was dry when he ran and damp, at best, for mine.
    http://scorekeeper.wwscc.org/results/pca2015/2/all

What a beast this car is in the wet! I really like the ZIIs, and Sport mode is generous enough to allow a lot of aggression. On the drier, final run, I tightened up the front shocks a turn off soft and raised pressures from 34/32 to 38/44, all nannies off. More wheelspin, but I think probably 38 was too high for this surface. The car's tail stepped out beautifully through a series of linked sweepers -- go wide, turn early, floor it -- and the bar took the floppiness out of transitions.

If I hadn't overshot the final pin cone, I'd have had a deep 46-second time. Even so, 47.4 was third fastest of the run group.

Mike Leuty drove the FiST as well in fun runs; he's a supremely smooth and sure-handed driver I love to watch. After two runs, he matched his time in his own Porsche and beat it on the third. I was watching; the rear wheel lifted just once, and only a few inches at that. He had it dancing through a slalom, ticking every single cone with the rear tire. If I could drive like that -- only more aggressively than Mike, who's well into senior citizen status -- I would win a lot more.

FWIW, Ron and I both drove Mike's Porsche in fun runs: 45.7 for me, 45.1 for Ron, though he had a faster but very dirty run. He is an order of magnitude more confident and aggressive. One day ...

15. Mightymango

Is that the base Fiesta front bar Des?: ( I'm forgetting what is what anymore)

16. Des

Des Active Member

No, I am using the Corksport but I imagine the effect is the same ...

17. Couldahadav8

Des and others with the Koni's, have you noticed increased amount of torque steer with the koni's versus the stock struts. I am wondering whether the weights were there partly to quell this. It might just be my crappy tires and alignment, but wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this. The Koni's feel much more "settled" than the stock struts, but on acceleration, the wheels seem like they are going everywhere except straight ahead.

18. Mightymango

I have not noticed it anymore then I did before. I get more with my 15 inch tires anyway, so I will have to compare when I get my 225s back on

19. Couldahadav8

Guessing its alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Des

Des Active Member

I suppose if I didn't get so much wheelspin it might actually turn into torque steer :) But so far not an issue.

21. I've noticed a little more with the 16s/Hankooks than with other setups, but not a ton either way. Of course, last FWD car I autocrossed was an ST Civic from when equal length halfshafts were a pipe dream so... :D