SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I ran the rivals on my 335 last year. They were great in the dry but a little lacking in the wet/cold. Granted that was on an awd/heavy sedan but that is my experience with them.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

For me, the Rivals were faster than the Z2s (by ~0.2 on a 40 second course). It's a shame it rubbed a hole in the fender liner :(

4. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Was it the diameter or width that was too much?

5. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Diameter is the real problem at auto-x , but they rub at full lock too.

6. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I wonder if the apparent .2 inches difference between the 225 50 16 and the 215 45 17 is enough keep the tire from rubbing....

7. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I hope so, I am looking to have the Rivals shaved so that I can use them.

8. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Trust me, I hope so too.

If not maybe I can get them shaved so they do fit. Unfortunately my season doesn't start until 3/30 so I'm not sure when I'll get them fitted especially with 10" of snow or so coming Monday.

9. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

My season starts the 29th, but I will probably do the first couple events with the car Stock until I can figure out what the best options are.

10. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Got a call from Tire Rack today, just confirming that I meant to order bigger than OEM tires.

The customer service rep said he thinks they should fit, but to test fit them and turn them lock to lock before driving on them so they could be returned if they are rubbing at all.

11. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

The issue for me is that the tire will contact on top - hitting the fender liner...I am pretty sure they will fit width wise since they are 1/2 an inch narrower than the Dunlop 225 45 16, which we know fits. The 24.7 inch Diameter is what I am curious about.

12. Nik17

Nik17 Member

The funny thing I found with the Rivals is that diameter.

Tire rack lists the Z2 as 24.7
    Tire rack also lists the Rivals at 24.7

BFG lists the Rivals as 24.6

I believe Tire rack rounded up, and BFG rounded down in their measurements.

The only difference I can find is the revs per mile. With the Z2s at 846 and the Rivals at 844, meaning there must be some minute difference in diameter

13. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

The BFGs revs per mile (if accurate) indicate a taller tire...which I would expect since the rivals seem to run larger than the dunlops even though specs show them being the same. EDIT: Tried to figure out the Diameter based on the number of revs to go a mile....they seem to be VERY close in size if anything being shown is accurate...so I would be surprised if you have any issues that the Dunlops don't.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  14. wash

wash Active Member

This sounds like a bump stop issue.

If you go too far and lower the car, that might leave you with very little bump travel which could make for a bumpy ride on rough pavement.

I'm starting to think the ultimate performance solution that bumps you in to an ST class is Mazda 2 hubs in front and re-drilled rear hubs for 4*100 lug pattern and a set of 949 racing Miata wheels in 15*7.5 or 15*8 with BFG rivals in 225-45r15 (I think) and the biggest brakes that we can fit inside a 15" wheel.

That will be nice and light weight, maybe 10lbs lighter per corner than stock, plenty of room for bump travel and not terribly expensive for tires and wheels.

15. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Autoxing on the z2's tomorrow. Any pressure recommendations?
    I need to come out swinging-my brother is in my class with his FoST on 245 rivals.
    Wish me luck!

16. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I'd suggest you bring your brother down to about 26psi on all 4 corners;)

spangenb, k757, Mr UFO and 1 other person like this.
  17. Mightymango

Run 41-42 in the fronts, low 30s in the rear.

18. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

I like your pic of the Evo. I had two X's before this.
    Those pressures seem unconventional. Wouldn't that induce under steer?

19. Mightymango

I'm going off what others have done for settings on them so far and others with fwd cars.

And thanks! I dont have any fiesta shots in action yet.

20. Mightymango

See post 121 from des. He really had to mess with the rear pressure to get it to rotate. He is running a rear bar though. I'll probably run 42/36 to start

21. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Thanks Mango!