SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

I've had good experience with 38 on the front with stock tires and 40s plus on the rear. I disagree with any higher inflation of the front. You want to have the rear swing around if necessary.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I would go 40ish front 50 rear to start. It is easy to drop pressure between runs...based on what others have posted the car is reluctant to rotate. A minimum 5 pound difference is what I have always run on fwd cars.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
  4. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Thanks for your input. There are 2 different camps on this topic so I guess I'll just have to try it.
    BFG says raising pressure increases grip for the R1's but I don't know if that is universal?! If it is lowering pressure in the rear makes sense.
  5. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

My experience is that lowering them too much end up with rolling the tire over. Higher inflation had always helped the car rotate, maybe it reduces the tire contact patch. Guessing I will end up 38 to 40 in least 5 lbs higher rear. I always start higher and then adjust the pressure as needed. Like I is always easier to drop pressure.

6. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Also all tires are different...I am used to how the star specs worked on the mini and miata.

7. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Yes it's very confusing. In my Evo X I ran 10 psi higher in the rear to get it to rotate. Once I got camber plates and a rear bar I was able to run almost equal front/rear.
    I'll be going off the roll over rule first and adjust from there.
  8. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Focus only has me by .1!!!
    1 run left.
  9. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Got him by .4:)
    Viva Fiesta!!
  10. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

What did you settle on for pressures?
  11. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Couldn't believe it. He came back and got me by a tenth. We were back and forth all morning.
    Got my quickest time running 36f 32r.
    The course was open and the car rotated great.
  12. EBinVA

EBinVA Member

Just got back from the event down in VA Beach. I wasn't really expecting the car to perform nearly as well as it did, thrilled with it. Very predictable and responsive even in stock form with just 225/45/16 Z2s on it. I have a ton of rust to shake off but did well enough to win my class and have a reasonable PAX time. I left before the final heat was done running because I was freezing cold (it was like 42* out by this point and about to rain) so I didn't get to see how the pax ended up but I was second overall through the first couple of heats.

I ran 42f/46r for tire pressures and it felt fine. The fronts are perfect at 42psi I think. There's no excessive roll onto the sidewalls and no tread being unused. I figured I'd start high on the rears and step my way down as people seem to be favoring much lower (low thirties?) pressures in the rear but I didn't have any problems getting the car to rotate and the only times it really pushed on me were ones where I was obviously making a mistake to cause it. Of course the extremely low temperature could have had a lot to do with this, so we'll see as I manage to get to some warmer events! I did notice that the car felt a little bouncy in longer sweepers and didn't quite want to settle down completely which was annoying. I don't think this was necessarily my doing as my inputs were pretty smooth through that section of the course.

Unfortunately no GoPro footage as the one I borrowed had broken mounting tabs and I didn't want it to fly off the car. I'm going to pick my own up before the next event I go to so I can get some footage up. Next weekend is a test and tune followed by the first race of the BRR-SCCA up near Charlottesville, VA that I think I'm going to be at :)

WScottCross looked great in his Fiesta as well. I didn't get a chance to ride with him but he looked smooth and fast. He also said the chip adds a ton of punch to the car, much more torque and I think it removes the TQ limiter in the low gears as well. The MO and RR looked great next to each other and we both got lots of compliments on our cars.
    Mr UFO, RodMoe, Firesail and 2 others like this.
  13. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Eric is a great driver and was winning the street class for most of the event. He did better than i did and he was stock and I had the tune. We had the same tires, but he was running much higher rear pressures so i'll try that next time. Like Eric said, we had lots of people checking the cars out and giving us compliments. It was pretty cold and it did start raining during the last run of the last heat, but that's early Spring for ya!

It was fun, we'll post the results once they are available.
  14. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

15. WScottCross

16. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Nice so they ended up putting the FiST in the STX class once GS is modded out ;)
  17. WScottCross

No, I put myself there based on wider than stock wheels, an aftermarket induction hose and the Cobb tune. I could have gotten away with running GS if I wanted to be dishonest. They don't check that closely, at least the smaller local clubs dont't
    Firesail and RodMoe like this.
  18. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Ya its is easy to do in the small club as I know but it really is good you went up there just for kicks and really you are only racing yourself this early getting a feel for the car and what not.... Fun to see when they post a results online .. Thanks for sharing..
  19. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Some good information...thanks...two more weeks for me. Still totally stock, wheels tires and all. Going to go with my original tire pressure plan and drop as needed.

20. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I had my first race in my Fiesta this weekend. It was the season opening WWSCC race at Emerald Downs, site we rarely use. The weather was wet and drizzling all day with many large but not deep puddles. The NWR PAX class is always difficult and today the competition included Ron Bauer, Glen Hernandez, Kevin Dietz, Fast Mike Lilliord and local Cobalt SS hotshot Dieter Beldi. Ron had ditched his Miata because of weather for a very fast ST Civic and Kevin and Fast Mike were driving Mike’s surprisingly fast Volt.

My ST is totally stock except for brand-new ZIIs. I broke in the tires a bit with 15 miles of street driving but it was obvious on the first run that wasn’t enough as I almost spun on the wet and very dirty track. About half-way through the run it started feeling better but the result was a disappointing 57.5, good for 4/11 in PAX but only because of some coneage by the other drivers. My second run time dropped to a 54.4 but a cone pushed me back to 7th. The car still felt very, very loose so I decided to try a run in Sport mode and this time I got a 53.1 which was good for the lead but Ron quickly topped that on his 4th run. My last run was half a second faster and I managed to take the win by just 0.003. All in all the car felt very good and I think the potential is excellent but obviously there is a lot more I need to learn.

Observations: I am not sure that the car needs a rear bar, I think it would have been undrivable in the rain if the back end had been any looser. Perhaps I’ll feel differently after some dry events but all in all I am pretty pleased. Hopefully it will be drier at the first NWRSCCA event in two weeks and I can get some more data on what the car needs.
  21. EBinVA

EBinVA Member

Congrats on your finish, that's a heck of a thin margin!

I've been quite pleased with how easy it is to get the car to rotate in the dry just based on my one race so far. I was expecting to have to do a lot more work and really fight with the car to get the rear to come around but it's very predictable and easy to induce rotation in. I'm interested in your feedback after you get some runs in the dry with it. Rear tire pressures are still a mystery to me but could have a pretty big impact on just how much you get the car to come around. I went in on the high side but I seem to be doing it differently than everyone else at the moment and I'm not sure if the cold temps at our event is what made it work out for me so far. Thankfully I've got a test and tune this coming weekend to get things sorted out before spring finally starts.

As a side note after not running for so long I forgot what it feels like to wait on the final PAX to get posted after a race: [​IMG]
    spangenb and Cligedy like this.