SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Understood. Used this as an analogy (perhaps over-simple) to aid in putting the question. A simple, clear starting point often makes it easier to give an explanation.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Nik17

Nik17 Member

I'll definitely keep you posted. I was going to get them put on on Thursday, but the high for Monday this coming week is a brisk 30* which can't possibly be good for them
  4. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Personally, I will be in STX with coilovers and I did buy that extra pair of 5k springs for the rear on the assumption that I may need to induce more rotation.
  5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

6. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Yeah, I ordered mine this AM as I wanted to get in on the rebate and I saw they were on closeout.

I was hoping to roll them on the evo as well but I have to wait until next week.....hopefully I will still be able to get them otherwise it will be the rivals on that car.
  7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Ya I am leaning now towards the NEW Version2 RS3 Kooks. But then I am SIZE choice limited
  8. Mightymango

When are those bad boys suppose to arrive?
  9. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

April 14--allegedly. Has there been anyone who has tried 235/17's yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Mightymango

Being that a 225/17 doesn't fit I'm going to guess no.

edit : Just looked on the Tire and the RS-3 is being listed as new in various sizes so based on a search looks like those should be the Version 2 in some sizes

Example 245/40/17 shows NEW where other sizes (225/50/16)show discontinued/closeout.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Tire rack lists my size as 4/30 kinda like last year with the DZll's and Rivals where they released some sizes at different times ..
  12. wash

wash Active Member

What's the verdict on the ZII as a street tire?

I might get a set if they can last more than 15,000 miles on the street.
  13. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

I think the 225 17's were too tall. Were they too wide. The 235's have a smaller diameter.

14. Mightymango

I got almost 18k out of the old star specs and I've heard 15-20 out of a set. Now granted that depends on driving style and track/event days
  15. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I just finished my 2nd autox with the Direzza ZII and this time I pumped the rear tires up to 47. It made a world of difference! I don't have the results but I was consistently better each run and the car was very predictable and easy to rotate. I had the fronts at 41 and the tires did quite well considering it was overcast and only in the low 40's so they were still pretty cold.I am very happy with this setup.
    Slowclimb and spangenb like this.
  16. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Scribble scribble <taking notes for my first event ... still over a month away>
  17. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Good info.
    How far west in CT do you live? Have you ever considered going to an NER event?

18. WScottCross

I'm right in the middle of CT, but I don't mind driving a bit. I'm going to the NNJR Test & Tune on Apr 6th. I'd be in for some new venues within about a 3 hour drive.
  19. Nik17

Nik17 Member

I have no idea how far the NER events are from you, but they're in Ayer, MA. Take a peek at if you get a chance. There's also another FiST registered for the first event next Sunday
  20. WScottCross

I know right where that is, I did alot of work in Boxborough about a year ago and stayed in Devens. It's a little over 2 hours from me. I won't make it this weekend, but I'll keep it on my list.
  21. EBinVA

EBinVA Member

I had the pleasure of doing a test and tune with the BRR-SCCA this past weekend (didn't get to do the actual race on Sunday due to a family emergency unfortunately), they're awesome guys to run with and anyone is ever in their area look them up to see if they have a race. I got to do quite a bit of work dialing in tire pressures, which turned out to be much more of a pain that expected. It was actually nice out at around 75* and sunny, so substantially different from the 45* and overcast of my last race. The course was great, walking it I thought it would be extremely fast but in practice there were quite a few deceptive and pretty technical spots. I started the day with the same setup as my first event at 42f/47r and the car wouldn't rotate. It plowed everything and I had to absolutely manhandle the thing to make it turn. I guess the warmer temperature made a massive difference as in the first race when it was cold out I felt like I could really toss the car around easily. I went up to 52psi and nothing changed, so eventually I backed the rear pressure WAY off and ended up most comfortable at 32psi after going as low as 28psi at one point. The car still didn't rotate well at all but it was something of an improvement. Front pressure seemed fine, I was using the entire tread. As I got more aggressive trying to manhandle the car into ever turning I noticed a a very small bit of rollover onto the top of the sidewalls (and I'm pretty sure I know exactly which corner it was happening in), but didn't really try to deal with that as I was so focused on the back of the car.

I guess I should specify the problem I was having a little bit: The car feels pretty good through quick transitions when you can lighten the rear up quickly with a quick lift or stab at the brakes and when (if) you're able to get it pointed the right way it feels alright through faster sweepers and such, it doesn't squirm or fight. The problem didn't feel like it was in keeping the car going the right way nearly so much as it was making the car point the right way in the first place. For slower, tighter corners where you don't have much to work with to force the back end around it just sits there pretty much no matter what. I tried a few different ways of approaching those corners and trying to tell the car what to do but nothing seemed to help. I wasn't sure if it was me driving poorly or what so I had a couple of other pretty quick FWD guys take a run or two in the car and they all had the same issue with it.

I'm pretty unhappy with the car at the moment, I wasn't expecting to be at war with it all weekend trying to get it to turn. I'm not sure what the options are for a rear sway bar yet as I haven't really looked into it but I will be snapping one up (or figuring out how to make one) ASAP. The difference in the car from driving in cold weather to driving in warmer weather was just incredible. I know ambient temp and track temp make a big difference, but I didn't think it would be night and day.

There was a GS Focus ST there as well (Jackie Heaton, used to run the New Orleans region SCCA events) and I just couldn't catch him. He ended up 3/4 second faster than me comparing our best runs (64.44 to my 65.12). I rode along with him a couple of times and was amazed at how easily he could get the Focus to move. He was legitimately tail happy through a number of sections on the course compared to my straight line forever coneplow. He's a super nice guy and happily jumped in the passenger seat of my Fiesta for a couple of runs when I asked him for some feedback but he was pretty quick to point out that I was doing everything I could and the car just wouldn't rotate. If I can get enough into the rear of the car to make it come around for me then I think I can run him pretty close but at the moment I have my doubts that it'll be possible to loosen up the rear of the car enough and stay within the rules limitations of GS. Other than the rear bar what kind of options do we have available? Do we have any alignment options/is there any GS legal way to get a little bit of toe in on the rear?

I have video of a bunch of my runs but haven't had a chance to go through it yet. I'll post up a couple of the quicker/cleaner ones this evening. Sorry for the long and somewhat ranty post, I'm a little discouraged at the moment.