SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Got off the phone with a local tire installer, making an appointment to get the 215/45/R17 Rivals mounted today.
    'Have you checked with Ford to make sure these will fit? It could alter the alignment and cause a lot of problems. You wouldn't want any problems on a brand new car':rolleyes:

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Ok, pulled out my alignment sheet from last Friday.
    With my big ass 220 pounds of ballast in the drivers seat, the new alignment is -0.9 L camber/-1.3 r camber.
    That being said, at 1/4 steering wheel turn the camber increased to -1.8 and greater at 1/2 lock but can't remember the number.
    That is without body roll/bump steer.

Caster 4.0 L/4.1 R.
    Toe -0.10 L/-0.11 R; Total toe -0.21.
    Interestingly the factory total toe was +0.15 toe in which the form says is out of spec.
    That did away with the dartiness and should help get the tail out.

Rear toe is +0.16 L/+0.05 R; Total toe +0.21. So it looks like the extra weight in the driver's seat/cornering roll toes out the rear.
    Rear camber is -0.5 L/-0.7 R

My Ford Serv guy looked up in the factory service manual and there is no provision for alternate front camber bolts so eccentric/adjustable bolts are not allowed in Street/stock categories. He has sent a req to Ford for an addition but says the answer is usually "no".

4. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

BTW Des, that's degrees, not inches.

"0 plus/minus .2 inch. "

5. Nik17

Nik17 Member

So back from the installer, and the 215/45/R17 Rivals seem to fit!

No rub on full lock at all. I am a little concerned they may rub on the fender liners when the suspension is more compressed though. I'll post some pictures in a bit

EBinVA and RodMoe like this.
  6. Nik17

Nik17 Member

So I did a little poking around to see where they have the potential to rub.

On the fronts at full lock, there's only about a fingers worth of space between the tire and the shock. There top of the shock tower is also reasonably close, but nothing like the distance from the shock itself.

On the back, the closest thing is this bulge that sticks out, but it is covered with felt like material.

Here's a few quick pictures.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Those look good. Rubbing is racing taken in a different context. I might try the rivals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Joshesh

Joshesh New Member

I'm guessing the 215/45/17 will rub under hard braking and turning. I was on the 225/45/16 ZII at laguna and at the bottom of the corkscrew if I went full throttle just a little bit too early I would compress the outside front fully with decent turning input and I heard slight rubbing, but it happened every time I tried to drive hard out of the corkscrew.

As for swaybars, I am 99% sure this will fit and I am going to buy it (later tonight) and hope it gets here soon so I can confirm it fits/works (hopefully better than then eibach).http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/install_guides/Z5055.pdf
    http://store.zhapalang.com.my/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=186&products_id=3829

Smokin likes this.
  9. wash

wash Active Member

That photo makes it look like it will fit but reduce ground clearance a bit.

The photos of that sway bar I have seen are on Mazda 2s or a base Fiesta maybe with the twist beam channel facing the rear and the bar tucked right in.

Its good to see an alternative.

10. sholzer

sholzer New Member

Eric, I saw you running on Saturday, looked awesome! The car looked fast as hell through the slalom, but you can definitely tell in the video that you were having to fight the car to get it to rotate around the slower corners. I had some of the same issues in the STF RSX that I ran on sunday, but I think it was more of my driving since the owner of the car couldn't keep the thing straight through a turn lol. From the little research I did, it doesn't seem like there are many good damper options for you all yet. I think some more rear rebound will help with both putting the power down out of the corners and help the car rotate a bit.

After seeing you this weekend, I'm seriously looking into trading in the 5.0 for one of these to run in GS if it can do well. I can't justify prepping my 5.0 for ESP ($$$ and still has to be my DD), but I think one of these should do well in GS and it would cut down my car costs a ton (payments, gas, tires, arc budget, etc etc lol). I'll be keeping up with you all and see how this thing turns out.

spangenb, EBinVA and Cligedy like this.
  11. EBinVA

EBinVA Member

Thanks man! The 5.0 looked fun to drive on that course, you looked quite quick in it too. I'm bummed I missed out on Sunday but I saw your run in the RSX on the BRR forums and it looked really fast. I used to own one of those, they're fun cars and those K-series motors are a blast to wring out.

the Fiesta an insanely fun car to drive. I initially went to the dealer to buy a Focus ST but saw the Fiesta ST on the lot and after test driving both of them I ended up with the Fiesta. I think the nasty understeer issues we're having with the cars in GS right now will be solvable in the long run too. I've been looking at changing shocks actually, it's funny you mention that. You're right there aren't really any attractive options out there just yet but maybe someone like Ground Control can come to the rescue with some appropriately valved Konis.

I don't think it's even possible to compare the 5.0 and the Fiesta since they're such different cars. That said, you'll definitely be saving some gas with the 36-38mpg highway the Fiesta gets! Next time I'm up there for a BBR event, or if you make it to one of the ODR/TWSCC events you're more than welcome to drive the car. It's hard to say just where the Fiesta will fall in terms of keeping up with the Celica and Focus just yet but I think we can get in there with a shout.

12. EBinVA

EBinVA Member

I told him you said hi, he had a wonderful story about you running a CR-Z last time he saw you and mentioned how you had it pegged in the grid to try and recharge the battery between runs!

Jack's definitely a great character and super nice guy, not to mention a beast of a driver. I'm going to learn a lot from him this season for sure!

13. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

It would really surprise me if a sway be designed to fit a Mk6 Fiesta will fit a Mk7 but stranger things have happened I guess. At least this one looks like it will easily meet the “is it a sway bar?” test handily.

14. Couldahadav8

Can the shock bracket eibach mounted bar be made into a sway bar by tying it to the beam with bushings and clamps?

15. Couldahadav8

Would it be legal to do a hybrid bar that uses a racing beat beam-located bar that is then tied to a more traditional sway bar with bushings?

16. Couldahadav8

[​IMG]

17. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

These are all questions for Doug Gill and the SEB...

18. Couldahadav8

Alan. Do you know the stock rear shock specs?

19. Joshesh

Joshesh New Member

I have loooked at both setups side by side at the dealership, checked install instructions and pictures... If it won't fit perfectly I'm fairly certian I can get it to work with a little effort.

20. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I assume you live in overseas then? The Mk6 wasn't sold in America so we know nothing about its dimensions or suspension design. Sounds like it was carried over to the Mk7 pretty much intact?

21. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

No idea, sorry. You'll need to find someone with a shock dyno to test one and see.