SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Joshesh

Joshesh New Member

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=BFR66XZ

The whiteline site lists the Mk6 and the Mk7 build date through 7/13. After looking at the two models I can not see a large enough difference to discourage me from trying this out. I can always return it and get an eibach if my idea doesn't pan out. And I'm not overseas, California. I race with des.

4. sholzer

sholzer New Member

I would love to take you up on that! The 5.0 is a lot of fun to throw around out there, but after driving it on hoosiers all last year it just isn't the same lol. The RSX is a ton of fun and it is quite quick. It's got a brand new setup this year and I'm helping the owner dial it in and I'm pretty sure it's going to be really fast once we can get it setup. I'm trying to convince him to bring it to Nationals or at least make the trip down to ATL with me so I can drive it too lol

5. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

It's okay if you say "yes dumbass, I did", but curious if you disengaged the stability control completely?

Also, I converted my GTI back to stock and was looking at the rear Koni Sports shocks I have and think they may fit. I will try them on the ST someday when the weather improves and let you all know......

6. sholzer

sholzer New Member

I've seen some differing things about the traction/stability control in these. Can you in fact turn it all the way off? I know in my car theres traction off, sport mode, and advance trac off. Advance trac being the mode you need to hold the brake and button for 8 seconds to disengage. Is the setup similar on the FiST? I've seen some people say there is still some correction with it off (which leads me to believe that they are smart enough to turn it all the way off and not just turn traction control off).

7. Nik17

Nik17 Member

The FiST has three modes.

Normal - where everything is on.

Sport - where it allows some play/slippage but should still save you if it all goes badly.

Off (requires holding the button for 5 seconds) - turns traction and stability control off, but does keep the torque vectoring on
    [​IMG]

Smokin likes this.
  8. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

But the MK6 Fiesta was never sold in the USA, we went straight from the 1980 Mk1 to the 2011 Mk7. Or are you comparing Mk6 photos with the Mk7?

9. Joshesh

Joshesh New Member

The link directly from the Whiteline website says:
    FORD FIESTA WP, WQ MK 5 INCL XR4[​IMG](4/04-12/08)
    FORD FIESTA WS, WT MK 6, MK 7[​IMG](1/09-7/13)
    MAZDA MAZDA 2 DY (DEMIO)[​IMG](4/04-12/08)

I am comparing the MK7 (with build dates from 1/09-7/13) to the MK7 ST - very similar, almost identical - one extra stiffening support on the ST on the twist beam. But this maybe a mute discussion, called up to try to get this part ordered, factory didn't have info on stock. 4-8 weeks could be my wait time, as bad as the eibach bar wait time.

I can post pics I took of a new MK7 vs my ST rear twist beam and suspension if you want to see for yourself.

10. EBinVA

EBinVA Member

Yep, traction control was all the way off :)

11. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

It would be interesting to compare the Mk6 to our ST Mk7 but beyond that I’ll take your word on it :).

12. Joshesh

Joshesh New Member

Order placed, not sure exactly when I will have it but sounds like 5-6 weeks from now. Might have to check the availability of the eibach bar again, since this will take a while longer than I hoped.

13. Des

Des Active Member

Josh, are you going to try the rear tire swap at Lotus club? (I won't be there, unfortunately).

14. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Our T&T is 4/5 on a course with concrete to asphalt transitions (octagons=concrete; strips=asphalt). This is a police driver training facility.

The guys have set up a fairly simple course with short and long, on and off camber corners, two sweepers and a long slalom. I have had hundreds of runs on this site with the GTI and other cars so have an excellent feel for car control and capabilities here so I am curious about the turn-in complaints of the ST. In hooning around town I can feel the rear end loosen up more than the GTI ever did. So it will be interesting and I'll report.

BTW my motivation for getting the FiST was I expect it to be 1-1.5 secs faster than the GTI. I have lots of deltas to compare it against. I will be disappointed if it is not. Also I think it will be quicker than a non-tuned Focus ST, but I have only run against one with a competitive driver and beat him in the GTI. BTW, I will be instructing one in a Focus ST the following week in our Novice School, so should have some good notes!

In 2012 I was 4.4 secs from 1st in GS (2-day total) at the National Championships and I know who my midwest competitors are. Didn't get to go last year because my wife was sick. Hope to get it dialed in for the Lincoln Nationals May 25th.

[​IMG]

Cligedy likes this.
  15. Nik17

Nik17 Member

So incapable hands, do you think the FiST is faster than the GTI?

I'm up against one this weekend, but it looks like we're in for a bunch of rain.

16. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Full disclosure, I just turned 60 last Sunday and had a mild stroke one month ago so if I'm a total wonk in the ST don't blame the car....

17. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

That's my $22,000 bet................

Nik17 likes this.
  18. Joshesh

Joshesh New Member

Depends on rain, I was planning on taking my DM lotus 7 clone... But I might be forced to take the fiesta, and if that happens I will definitely be trying out the smaller rear tire idea.

19. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

So have we established yet what can be achieved yet with alignment settings on the FiST?

I'm very unclear about what can be accomplished with the twist-beam. Is there any adjustment to be had, or is the rear assembly just along for the ride? I have read about shimming the rear for toe, but I haven't seen anything that makes that sound like a legal option.

It is my understanding that camber/ crash bolts aren't class legal right now (until Ford details their use in the fsm). Is there any way to adjust the front end that would make the rear end livelier?

I'm not strong when it comes to car setup and this is my 1st fwd, so I'm trying to figure this out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

20. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I'm hoping the change from front toe-in to toe-out will help. Also, until I get a few runs in I am not making a judgement on the rear end tossability.
    When the car came out all of the media commented favorably on how easy it was to get the tail out and so far only one autocross'r has reported difficulty.
    The track day guys apparently didn't have problems.

So....you're results may vary....
    BTW, the guys at the speed shop loosened both the two strut bolts and the top housing nuts and used a wooden wedge to force additional camber without any significant improvement. I really don't think shims in the rear would make any difference in Ax.

21. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Looks like I'll have to wait a while to find out if you were right as the GTI dropped from this weekend.