SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Nik17

Nik17 Member

40psi front and rear?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Cligedy, is it primarily experience that tells you +2# of deltaP will be enough? Or is a fair chunk of trial and error necessary with any setup?
  4. limbo

limbo Active Member

You want a little tire rollover to the sidewall. I'm running lower than you all in the front on my Z2's at about 36 cold and I haven't noticed any excessive rollover.
    Mr UFO likes this.
  5. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Same here. I'll be doing my first-ever autox event this weekend, running pure stock. (The wheels I suspect will be a significant weak spot, seeing that they're heavy, but not nearly so weak as the novice driver!)

I'll be at the same event with Smokin, and hope to learn a lot from him and maybe others. Could be very informative, comparing my car's performance with his. I hope to have him drive both. This could give some very direct comparison data. That all said, if I see a pic of myself in my car with the front tire thinking about rolling over like a well-trained circus dog--well, that's just not where I wanna be!
  6. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

A little I can see. There's such a thing as too much, though, too, right?
  7. limbo

limbo Active Member

Yes if it is flexing too much you will have less grip. You want it to wear just onto the shoulder, not much onto the sidewall.

You all are making me rethink pressures. I've got a practice event coming up end of the month and I think I will play with them again.
  8. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Well yes a little is ok, but a lot of rollover, which both those pictures seem to have that happening is not ideal.
    Smokin likes this.
  9. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

42 pounds in front. 48 in back. They rubbed. I'll check the fender liners when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Would not expect that much roll with those pressures..
  11. Couldahadav8

I saw no evidence of running on the sidewalls. The pictures are more dramatic than I expected.

12. Couldahadav8

Nor did I. Of course, I was running the car like a mother fucker on concrete that is essentially the same as LAP.

13. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Yeah, your times show that it was running very well. I'm now curious to see how the 225/16s look under load.
  14. Couldahadav8

Passenger side

Driver side.

Good news: fender liners are fine

Bad news: driver side fender has a minor bend.

Good news: I like the way the wheels look.

Bad news: they won't work with these tires because of the offset.

Ok news: I think (pray) the stock wheels will work ok.

Pressures are what I said--cold.

Next time: I would buy 215/40/17 zii's. Or go with the 16's.

15. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Do you mean with less rubbing?
    Were these audibly rubbing while autocrossing?
  16. Couldahadav8

Of course I could hear it. I knew the tires were rubbing. I wouldn't care if the fender liners were damaged. The fact that the fender became involved bothered me. There is a 5.5 mm difference in offset. I think they will still rub, but the driver tire is now clearanced and the rubbing should be minimal.

How bad are yours rubbing? Can you see any damage to the tires?

17. Nik17

Nik17 Member

I won't care too much if mine rub on the liners, but if the fender becomes in involved I won't be too happy.

I haven't autocrossed on mine yet. I was supposed to have an event on 3/30 but it was cancelled. This Sunday I will know for sure how bad they rub. So far my only experience with them rubbing is while making a sharp u-turn at speed, and doing donuts in a parking lot (of which there's a video of a few pages back). As far as I can tell they don't rub on the street, and should only rub when the suspension is fully compressed. I should have more input after this weekend though
  18. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

2lbs is enough to tell a difference, but I don't think 1lb is. That said, after your first run, you may need to bleed 4-6psi off to get back to the starting pressure, since the pressure jumps when the tires heat up. When you find a pressure that works, consistency is what you are after.

Nik, I was running 48psi in the rear, but take that with a grain of salt since I have a kind of wonky setup.

When I was at 38psi, I wasn't using up all of the tread shoulder blocks for my first couple events. After this last one though, I wore off most of the triangle (pic just for reference, not my tire) so I will be sticking with 40psi. That should still have me using some shoulder, but not even threatening the sidewall.
    Smokin likes this.
  19. Couldahadav8

I am hopeful they will work well. I will be switching my wheels and running Sunday too. We will see what happens.

20. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

This may be blasphemy but does anyone else get annoyed by the torque vectoring kicking in mid turn? I occasionally feel the need to jerk the wheel in the other direction.

I may be completely wrong but does it only work under power? Example... Coast into turn, apply gas mid turn as straightening the wheel and "Pow", sudden jolt which kindof throws the balance off.

Maybe just me.
  21. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I did not feel any of the nannies with everything turned off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk