SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I can feel it, really pulls the car into sweepers. I'm pretty sure it does only work under power though.

I haven't had a situation yet where I had to correct the steering because of it, but the circumstance you mention makes sense.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. limbo

limbo Active Member

I have felt this as well, on a couple larger sweepers. Not to the point of needing to jerk the wheel. Mid corner throttle maintenance (gentle) seems key if you want to get a nice arc.

What kind of courses are you seeing this? How aggressive are your inputs?

4. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I've only noticed it on hard throttle application, if I squeeze the throttle I can tell it is working but I don't have to fight against it.

5. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

i think somewhere he said he was running 38# up front.

6. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

:nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: :woot:

As a caveat, the KC course has large-grooved concrete pads in all corners and, like last weekend, we had two high speed sweepers that you bomb into (55-60 mph) entering these grooved areas so I need higher front pressures. The grip is incredible and you can blast into them, but the grooves are rough and can cause the side-wall to roll over. I will be in Lincoln on the 27th so might adjust pressures downward. They give lots of runs so I might experiment. As for the Dunlops, the wear was at the pointer tip of the sidewall markers. I don't chalk my tires...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  7. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Have you changed your toe? Mine did that with factory set toe-in but I adjusted to 0.2 degrees toe-out and don't have that problem.

Never mind. I thought you said torque steer. Mine only banged on one 1-2nd upshift. I try to eliminate spinning the inside tire on corners thru tail-out oversteer and unwinding the wheel...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  8. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

It hasn't been much of a problem on autox courses but I like to go fast into 90 degree turns everyday including some canyon roads. There is a light I always tr
    Mainly on road course and autox situations with a moderate speed segment going into a tight turn. If I find myself letting the turn naturally slow the car toward the apex and then get on the throttle it occurs. My input is probably too much but without TV it would just mean some wheel spin. With TV I get the jerk.

The right thing to do would be to stop having such a heavy foot.

9. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

TV cannot be turned off

10. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Was not saying that it could...but in "sport mode" you could feel the car working to keep control...holding it down for 5 seconds or what ever I did not feel anything at all. Not saying the TV was off, just saying I did not feel it.

11. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

I just ordered 225/45-16's on MSW rims, only because closeout sparcos weren't in the same place as closeout DZII's. I had to buy some non-closeout rims so they could be sent where the tires are. TireRack logistics, I guess.

Can't wait. In the mean time, more seat time. This Sunday is Autocrossers, Inc. in Waldorf, MD.

And I got myself a little compressor. Let's see what this baby can do!

spangenb likes this.
  12. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

No worries. Just making a statement. Some people are unclear about whether the EDiff or TV are disabled by holding the traction control to complete off.

Slowclimb likes this.
  13. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Is it possible that it would make sense to run a larger front sway bar? I'm thinking it tripods a bit too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Would that increase the tendency to understeer?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  15. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

It's certainly something I have considered but IMHO since the car appears to be under-dampened that working on the shocks first is the way to go.

Slowclimb likes this.
  16. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Shocks are what I think will make a big difference

jasyatz likes this.
  17. Couldahadav8

Yes. I am grabbing at straws. Dampers with compression adjustment would be nice.

jasyatz likes this.
  18. wash

wash Active Member

That just unloads the inside front wheel which leads to under steer unless you lower the cg, increase the track or do something else to reduce the rolling moment.

19. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

If I stay with stock wheels I am considering spacers on the front wheels...if I get the sparco wheels I think the 5mm spacers will push me post the 7mm allowed.

20. Couldahadav8

I know what the bar does. I almost spun twice on Sunday.

21. Couldahadav8

How wide of a tire are you planning to run?