SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

A harness won't re-class me though...

I ask because I used to racing modified classes in my old car (1988 Toyota Supra) which I ran for a few years, running a stock car is foreign to me.

Attached Files:

• 109.JPG
      109.JPG
      File size:
      99 KB
      Views:
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

I think you can add a harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

djdennehy likes this.
  4. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

About shift knobs... how 'bout I managed to break the Cobb knob I had last Sunday... broke in half when I changed from 1st to 2nd...

5. Couldahadav8

Don't know if I'd hobnob about a broken Cobb knob.

djdennehy likes this.
  6. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Not an issue. However, I would say that I would not be concerned about power... there's plenty of that. The exhaust between the engine and the cat looks pretty restrictive anyway. I don't know if FSWerks has provided dyno numbers on their cat back, but I can't imagine it would help all that much.

What I would be (am) concerned about is getting as much of the power I've got onto the pavement at the right time in the right places. For me, that's going to mean tires, shocks, brake pads, and oh, yeah, not least of which, driving well. That's the hardest part.

Oh, you can also change brake pad material. No braided lines.

djdennehy likes this.
  7. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

hahahahahaha... well played sir!

Couldahadav8 likes this.
  8. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

My goal this year is to get back into the routine of racing, win my class (small autoX community here), and get deeply into autoX next year, so that is when I will invest on more serious rubber and so on.

Cligedy likes this.
  9. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I have a 4 point harness and it's a very easy install. Clip the shoulder harness to the child safety point in the middle of the back seat.
    Drilled a 3/8" hole in the back of each seat rail and used a pinned u-bolt to attach the lap belts to. Works great. but you can't alter the interior for lightening the chassis. Unless you want to move to the modified classes...

10. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

If you have a Cobb knob it would be assumed you have the Cobb tune too?

Like the guy at the Novice school this weekend with a Focus ST, Cobb hat and Cobb sweatshirt. Said he didn't have the Cobb tune though.....

jimclark likes this.
  11. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

12. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

I do not have the Cobb tune... belittle me all you like (until I cry)

I actually went with a 5 point set up from G-Force, they were on clearance on Amazon, I have used them before and to be honest will only use them on the Fiesta for Autocross and Open Track days (They don't look particularly good)

Attached Files:

13. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Thank you, Smokin-san! I'm actually kinda pleased with that last run--58 seconds in the rain I don't think was too shabby.

14. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

If you do the seats(or anything else for that matter ) that has a multiple configuration within an options package, you have to do the entire option package conversion. I know the seats were available as a ingle line item, but some of the 200/300 package things have to be done as the complete package. ( fog light add/delete, spoiler add delete things like that).

Although most other cosmetic interior add ons, which do not provide a performance advantage, can be added as a comfort and convenience item ( shift knob, scuff plates, gauge face colors etc).

15. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Anything not worn out will work. I got mine from an SCCA club racer who couldn't use it anymore d/t being a Y shoulder harness. Check Summit Racing or that race shop out of Lincoln, NE. Can't remember the name. They just sent me a big catalog of stuff I don't need.

16. Couldahadav8

Speedway is in Lincoln.

17. Couldahadav8

Corksport has adjustable struts and shocks for Mazda2. First off, anyone heard anything about them. 2nd, would they fit? 3rd, where do we find the specifications to make sure they would be stock legal (assuming the first 2 answers make it worth checking).

18. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I had heard they would not fit.

19. Couldahadav8

Thanks.

20. Couldahadav8

Corksport Mazda2 Adjustable shocks measurements:
    Strut: Max length: 20 inches compressed 12.9 inches.
    Shock: Max length: 26.3 inches compressed 17.55 inches.

I think the shocks might actually work. I need to take one of mine off and measure the length. I have heard that the struts fit on the regular fiesta and that struts for the regular fiesta end up working on the FIesta ST. Fitting and being the right fit are 2 different things. The rear is less complex and might work.

You can't buy the rears separately.

Brent

21. Joshesh

Joshesh New Member

I have the rears off right now. I will measure and let you know.

Fronts you need to do yourself or wait until later this week when I get the Koni STR fronts and install them.