SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. wash

wash Active Member

It seems that once you get tires figured out the Eibach rear bar is the thing you want to make the car rotate and if you need to balance it out, you can get a base Fiesta front bar to add a little stiffness at the front. The Steeda end links might be a good tuning aid.

Race wheels, shocks/struts, a big brake kit and weight reduction round out a comprehensive handling upgrade.

How much of that you can do is up to your class rules.

I just wish someone would actually stock the rear bar so we don't have to order and guess about when it will come.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

I would not be surprised if we ultimately find that a great set of shocks and struts mixed with a different front swaybar is the way to go. At this point, we are left looking for a great set of shocks and struts.
    Smokin likes this.
  4. wash

wash Active Member

One of these days I'm going to order ASTs which should be about as good as it gets but pricey at around $2,000.
  5. Couldahadav8

Do they have them yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. wash

wash Active Member

Mazda Demio (2) setup reportedly fits.

I think Andy Hollis raced on them in a Fiesta B-spec car last year and maybe the year before.
  7. Couldahadav8

8. Couldahadav8

I compared one of my rear shocks to that from a 2001 vw golf/Jetta today. They were almost exactly the same. Length was dead on. Width of the bottom mount was the same. I think I am going to get some yellows designed for the Jetta and see how they work. The front is still an issue.

Smokin likes this.
  9. Des

Des Active Member

Update: Josh's car, no rear bar, Koni STRs on the back, 225/16 Dunlops up front, 205/17 Bridgestones in back. Grippy concrete site, 60 degrees.

The shocks definitely made a difference -- not a huge difference, but there was tail-wagging in a long slalom and some very welcome tightening after mid-corner lifts. Still no reliable lift-throttle oversteer unless you are at the very top of second gear.

I have STRs some coming for my car, and I think the Eibach bar will probably enhance the changes more.

Josh may be driving his car today at a different event -- he'd have a better idea of how it compares, I 'm sure.
  10. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I was going to post this in the results area but being that it was not an "official" event and just a novice school I'll post it here.

Running with the 16inch 225 ZII setup with a rear bar, pressures were set lower 36front 34 rear because of the amazing conditions...........40 degrees, 30mph winds and pouring rain for almost the entire event (the last 90 mins were dry(ish)

Had two people drive the car and I drove it for about 6 instructor runs over lunch. In the super wet it actually hardly pushed and wanted to allow the rear to rotate. On my instructor runs which were SUPER wet it felt very composed and the rear had enough slip to react well.

Out of all the instructors I was one of only 3 to get below 30 seconds on the course, one of the others did it in the FiST. The course seemed to like less prepped cars.

As the conditions got better in the afternoon the FiST really likes to lift that inside rear tire, but it feels good. The only thing faster then it on the course was an Evo and a RX-8 driven by a former National Kart champ. The evo had a 29.1 , then the Fist with a 29.3 the RX-8 with a 29.4 and then the Fist again with a 29.5. All those runs were in the dry. In the wet they were all 2-3 seconds slower.
    Smokin likes this.
  11. Couldahadav8

Pretty amazing little car isn't it?

12. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

It really is. I had a couple former national champs ride in it and they all were impressed. I think there is a lot of potential with the cars.

In comparison there was a Focus ST there, my friends in the FiST had him beat by over 3 seconds.
  13. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I have some I'll be taking off the GTI someday soon and will put on the ST if they fit. If only my sched and weather would accommodate...

Also Joshesh, why did you go to all that trouble taking the struts off and bolting on the STRs only to take them off?

I am really looking forward to you guys verifying the stock Fiesta aftermarket struts fit and work well. Then I'll buy...

BTW, need part numbers!!
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  14. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

You cannot use adjustable sway-bar-to-strut links in G Street if that is the question...
  15. Couldahadav8

My understanding is that you can use adjustable links on the end that you decide to change. So, if I put end links up front then I can't put any sway bar in the back.

I ordered the vw konis. Hopefully have them this week. Will post pics.

16. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

It depends on what you are describing as adjustable end links.
    An adjustable heim joint at the end of the bar is legal.
    An adjustable link from the bar to the strut for pre-loading is not legal.
  17. Couldahadav8

Not sure where you see this? Most of the fs mustangs run Strano end links, which allow preloading. I was going to use the Strano pieces on the front of the fiesta if they fit.

18. wash

wash Active Member

So you could bend your anti-sway bar to get whatever preload you want but no adjustable link?

I know bending isn't legal but I know it happens.

Maybe they will let us adjust one end of each bar?
  19. wash

wash Active Member

Are bushings free?

You could do offset front bushings to preload it.

Just a thought.
  20. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

Sorry, have been away for a bit...I'll dig them out tomorrow and post them up.
  21. Joshesh

Joshesh New Member

Who said it was trouble? I wanted to see if they fit, and only real way to know was to mock it up and do a side by side comparison. The main reason I didn't finish installing the fronts was because I really want to get 1 event driving it the way it sits right now - then put the front STR Koni's on.

Rear's fit, work and are verified. Fronts I will update you on after this weekend.

Both are the STR.T Koni's that are supposed to only fit the Non-ST Fiesta's - Tire Rack sells them and so does Ebay. Koni is having the spring sale right now too so they are relatively cheap.