SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

As much as I tried I could not paste the diagram sent to me by Doug Gill SCCA Solo Technical Manager but he did confirm that the adjustable stabilizer link similar to the one in the picture below, which attaches to one end of the stabilizer (sway) bar and the strut, can be replaced with the adjustable rods in Street Class.
    A big thank you to Doug and his rapid response!

Attached Files:

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

4. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Cool. Wow half the price of Koni yellow adjustables. Curious to see how they improve handing...
  5. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

Here's the pics of the stock Mazda2 struts. The bodies are stamped Fomoco, but the number does not look like it interchanges. [​IMG]
  6. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Josesh, please keep us informed about your struts performance this weekend. Since the Koni STRs are for the stock Fiesta I'm curious whether they perform equal to the OEM ST struts or better. Hope you can tell the difference objectively.

A lot of times we feel what we want to feel. When I put the Koni Yellow adjustables on the GTI the mechanic set them at soft saying that would be better than stock. Not even close. They were so soft almost bounced off the road. OEM was equal to mid point setting on Konis and competition-wise I screwed them up to full stiff in back and +1.5 -2.0 in front...since these STRs are valved for the street they may be no stiffer than OEM ST.
  7. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Couldahadav8

Here are pictures of the koni rear shock installation. These are koni sports designed for the 2000 era gti, golf, beetle, etc. lengthwise, the similarity is uncanny. Unfortunately, the bushing and sleeve are a different size. The hole in the upper bracket assembly is also a different size. I transferred the bushing from the stock shock to the koni. The fit is not perfect, so I will be looking for an alternative bushing. Getting the bushings out is a pain. The mount bracket needs to be drilled out to about 3/8th of an inch. The bracket was tougher to drill than I had expected.
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  9. Couldahadav8

I set the shock to full stiff. Ran out of time tonight but will finish it up tomorrow and hopefully run on them Sunday at an autocross. We will see how it goes.
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
    Joshesh likes this.
  10. Couldahadav8

Finished the install. Full stiff wAs stiff. Virgin going to prom with Kate Upton stiff. So, I went to 1/2 turn from full stiff. I am chasing a rattle. Not sure if it is related to the shock or not. Won't know the real benefit until tomorrow.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    djdennehy likes this.
  11. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I remember when I tried my Koni yellows on full stiff on the Mustang ... once LOL. Yeah that was very stiff.
  12. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I’m not yet convinced that it is legal. I want to talk to Doug Gill about it and perhaps write a letter to the SEB. I would hate to find out at Nationals that this isn’t the case.

Also for those folks running modified shocks make sure that the replacements meet the Solo street class stock rules. It’s very easy to make a mistake with spring perch shape or location or shock free travel which violates the rules. Measure multiple times and don’t rely on the manufacturor to get it right as they simply don’t care about autocross legality.
  13. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Yeah it would be good to know 100% if it is as it does mount a bit differently then a normal rear sway bar, no doubt because of how the rear suspension is on these cars. It is easy enough to remove on a lift but it would suck a little to do the removal on the pavement in Lincoln.
  14. conevadr

conevadr New Member

I worked impound this weekend at the NJ Tour and could have easily talked to Doug about it. But I didn't realize that it was still an open issue... oops.

George M
  15. Couldahadav8

What is the rule regarding free travel?

16. Couldahadav8

The koni shocks I am using and the stock shocks are the same length. The stock shock compresses more fully, but the travel of both shocks is the same given the same size bump stop. Is this to what you refer?

17. Des

Des Active Member

235/40/17s on a 42 offset wheel fit, at least so far. They actually rub less than the 215/45 in street driving. On stock wheels they were up against strut.

18. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Wow. Is that still a 7"wheel? What tire is that, Toyo?
  19. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Have you autocrossed those yet....or just street driving...where are they rubbing?
  20. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

By the way, watch out for damage to the outside edge/ shoulder of the tread if you hit a bump or fully compress the suspension at about half lock steering input. There is an exposed bolt/ bracket that will gouge the hell out of the rubber.
  21. Des

Des Active Member

Yes, it's 17x7, and the rubber is a Federal 595, a tire I was interested in trying that happens to be very, very cheap :).

So far it does not rub at all, but I put less than 20 miles on it. I did take it on a couple of off ramps, bumpy roads, etc. The 215 would rub at full lock. The 235 is about a quarter-inch shorter.

Cligedy, thanks for the tip. Weirdest thing about this car is trying to figure out where tires might rub!

I'll try a few runs on these this weekend, but we also got a new set of V2 Hankooks (in 215 size). Hope to be able to sample both.