SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Des

Des Active Member

I already compared them to a 225/45 mounted Dunlop -- they're almost exactly the same width. Only difference is taller.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Are we talking about the 235/40 or 235/45 that fits? Under hard braking and turning I would think it would rub pretty good on the 45? Are you using the 45 or 40 des?

4. Des

Des Active Member

Sorry, the 40. Typing on a phone without glasses, and you're right, the 45 would be a rub-fest.

5. Mightymango

That is what I thought you meant. I wanted to ask as if a 235/40/17 on the stock rim is an option....even with pinching......that would be another tire option.

6. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Des. So are the Feds working as well as the zii's?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Des

Des Active Member

For me, yes. They launch better than the Dunlops, and they resist heat better.

But they are wearing quicker than a Z2 would. They're not as crisp on turn-in and don't transmit as much feel.

8. Couldahadav8

Thanks!

9. Mightymango

Is that in the 235 that you are running?

10. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

I just finished my second autox event. My car is completely stock, original tires, wheels etc. It was hosted at a local drag strip's pit/racer area. The surface was asphalt covered in oil spills, gravel and was uneven. While I was working the first heat it began to rain hard on us near the end before becoming a drizzle. My tires have about 9000 miles on them and have been rotated once around 7800 so the fronts now have much more tread than the rear. I ran 46psi in the front and 45psi in the rear since I over inflated the tires so while I was working and the tires cooled down (it was about a 45 minute drive there) they would be close to what I would want or I could bleed off the extra. I didn't know how to set up for a wet track so I just ran it like that to see what would happen. The people who rode with me and gave me tips all remarked at how much grip my car had in the wet! I had no problems with rotation and oversteered great. My first run I was nervous because I haven't even driven my car hard in the rain on the street before. I left ESC in sport mode but after getting some confidence I turned it completely off for the last 4 of my runs. I managed a 48.590 as my best lap and my adjusted time was 39.155 placing me 14th in the novice class out of about 50 (not bad for my second autox ever! [ESC completely off]). It felt just like my first event in terms of grip. My first even was pre-rotation and the tires were underinflated. So just thought I would report and let you guys take that as you wish since I'm still noob at this stuff.

For now I think for the sake of learning to drive better I am going to keep my grip fairly limited and stick to the OEM tire size when it comes time to buy new tires. I wish I could turn ABS off as well for the sake of teaching me better braking control.

Smokin likes this.
  11. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I wouldn't worry about tires as an upgrade at this point either. You will need several more events to really start getting the most out of the car. That said, if you plan on doing several more events then having a separate set of wheels and tires will keep you from wearing out your daily tires too soon. The sooner you auto-x the car with the stability control all the way off, the sooner you will truly learn the car. Either way, I'm glad you are having fun, enjoy the car!

12. Couldahadav8

Des. Where did you get your Feds?

13. Des

Des Active Member

OnlineTires.com, but you can get them many different places. Shipments don't arrive very often; they told me mid-July when I asked.

14. Mightymango

Des,

How bad are the 235s rubbing?

15. Des

Des Active Member

A little on extreme bumps, on the outside edge, and on the inside at full lock. It didn't bother me, but if you're particular it may bother you.

It hasn't happened in quite a while now, so ongoing wear must have taken it into the non-rubbing range.

16. Mightymango

And sorry to ask SO many questions, are those are 17s on the stock rims correct?

17. Des

Des Active Member

yes, and no problem.

18. Mightymango

Yeah, just trying to work in plans for more grip. Trying the 235/40/17 on the front with the stock rears will probably be in my future.

19. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Since I've been sliding around way too much in the base seats, I decided it was time for something new. Enter the Schroth Racing Rallye 4

[​IMG]

20. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

I'd really like a 225 on a 16 inch wheel but I am finding the tire selection to be limited and expensive... Since I can't seem to keep my wheels away from curbs or potholes I want more side wall and more width to protect my future wheels as well as the fact that 16s will be lighter. Anyone have any suggestions?

21. eRic

eRic Active Member

Nice! I'm considering the Rallye 3 after talking to Schroth. They said the Rallye 3 worked in a Fiesta.
    Did you have to unbolt the front seat to reach the bolt for the lap buckle?