SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Nik17

Nik17 Member

I didn't install mine myself (thanks HMS Motorsport!) but they did tell me to get at the bolt near the center console you need to unbolt the seat but not remove it entirely. Apparently to get to the one closest to the door, you can just slide the seat to access it.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Right now, the Dunlop Z2s are the easy button for a 225/45R16 autocross tire. They are scarce (or sold out) but the new upgraded version should be hitting late fall.

moff3tt and spangenb like this.
  4. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

It all makes sense now.

5. eRic

eRic Active Member

ah OK. if you don't mind can you post a photo of where the shoulder harnesses are attached to the rear seat belt bolts? Thanks!

6. Nik17

Nik17 Member

Sure thing. The bolts are easily accessible by pulling up the bottom of the seat. Here are some pictures.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

It was a little difficult to hold the seat up while taking a picture.

Cligedy likes this.
  7. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

Do they make harnesses that utilizes the car seat anchors? I feel like those have to be pretty sturdy. They also seem easier to get to.

8. Nik17

Nik17 Member

I'm honestly not sure. I know this harness (schroth rallye 4) does have 'quick fit kits' for cars such as subarus and some vw/audis although I don't know where those connect. I also know that if you wanted a street legal harness, there aren't many choices outside of the Schroths.

9. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

Ah ok. I was thinking out loud mostly.

10. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

So, I ordered some Feds from onlinetires.com. Turns out that their website does not reflect their true inventory. For now I am going with 215/40/17 zii's on the front. Going ghetto by keeping my rivals in the back. I am hoping the combo of lighter wheels and the gearing change from the shorter tire helps acceleration. Maybe I will actually be able to bump into the rev limiter on our small local courses. Sorta bummed about the Feds. They are supposed to be in stock in a few weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

So Couldahadav8, this weekend I installed one of the Beetle shocks using drilled-out stock brackets like you did. And it makes a pretty good rattle. Did you ever find the source of your rattle?

Did you ever take them back off and inspect where the hole you drilled out in the bracket rests on the shoulder of the shock? There's not much of a shoulder there. In fact, it seemed like you'd want to let it drop to the little C-ring (the next shoulder down), and put some washers above the bracket to let you tighten it down.

let me know what your long-term experience has been. I'm thinking about finding whatever mount point was available in the Beetle and using some portion of that to get a positive bearing surface.

Thanks!

12. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

I'm not convinced that the Dunlop Direzza Z2 225/45-16's are such a good tire for the car.

At two events now, in fairly mild temps (high 80's), I would hit the brakes HARD approaching a dig turn, and the front tires felt like they just collapsed. They had visible scuffing WAY down on the sidewall, and if I turned in while it was collapsed, you could hear the FWAP-FWAP-FWAP of gnarly-sounding rubber being ground into the ground. Another guy had noticed this behavior, but I hadn't had the problem until recently.

I'm running 38 in front, and if I go to 40 or higher to try to prevent this collapse, I just don't get any traction, especially on straight acceleration. I get WAY more wheelspin at 40 psi than at 38 psi, and my times reflect it pretty dramatically.

I can't use these at Nationals the way they're behaving.

The only tire available to us this year looks like the Dunlop Direzza Z2 215/40-17's. But I'm hesitant to purchase another set of Dunlops, even though the sidewall should be shorter and therefore possibly stiffer. Can anyone weigh in on how their 17's are doing?

13. Couldahadav8

The rattle comes from the nut on the top of the shock being wider and coming into contact with the body. The hole in the chassis is about the same size as the nut. The best fix would be to find a nut that fits the shaft but has a smaller diameter.

I haven't done that yet. My short-term solution has been to put some leather on top between the nut and the body, which is cheesy and effective. Essentially no rattle now. My next task is to find nuts that fit.

Aside from the racket what do you think of the shocks?

14. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

This would be an unproven option, but what about the 225/50R16 Hankook RS3 v2? In spite of my experience with the Rivals, I am considering this for my next set. Now that the Rivals are worn in, the rubbing is much better (though not eliminated.) The Kooks are narrower and they have a deeper starting tread depth than the Rivals. I think that having tire rack shave 1/16" or so off (still leaves almost 7/32" tread depth) would be a reasonable answer.

Edit to add: I think that the Hankook has softer sidewalls than the Dunlop. I tend towards tires that that still work with big heat in them. The RS3 has some fans out there, plus Hankook pays contingencies.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  15. limbo

limbo Active Member

I'm also seriously considering the RS3's for my next tire. I used the old compound on my S2000 and they are great tires. As far as overall grip goes, I think the RS3's are better and have a more forgiveable range of slip angle than the z2's. My only reservation is that I don't often have a codriver and the RS3's are a little tough to get/retain heat.

16. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Almost everyone in this area are going to Hankooks. I haven't tried them yet but always loved the Z214 r-comps. If they could only do some 45s that would be great.

17. limbo

limbo Active Member

In reply to your edit, if you want a tire that is good in the heat the RS3's are the best street tire out there right now. My $.02

Smokin likes this.
  18. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

How many people are going to try the 235 federal on the front? I've already decided to run the stock rims at nats (my 16 inch rims are too wide turns out) Either that or the 215/45/17 in the kooks.

19. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Will Federal be releasing a 200tw version? The 140tw will only be legal through the end of the year.

20. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

That is all I need them for this year. I'm planning on Star Specs for next season. The federals are stupid cheap so I'm willing to try it.

21. Couldahadav8

I tried to get Feds and they were sold out. But should be back in stock soon. Zii's come in that size but are expensive.