SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

FYI if I decide to skip Nats or do a fly-n-drive I will have a new set of 225/45-16 ZIIs for sale. I'm on the fence at the moment, how I do at the Packwood Pro will be the big decider barring any new shock options before August.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. jasyatz

jasyatz Member

I found similar results with the ZII, crazy high pressures to get turn in feel, at the loss of steady state grip. I switched over to the Rivals, but I also have 15" wheels so options are a plenty. The RS3s are a great tire, I've heard nothing but positive things from those who have tried them.I took 2 runs in an RS3 Miata and was impressed. As for sizing with the Rs3 and the Rivals, wider isn't always better. if they offer a slightly more narrow option, take it otherwise If they fit without shaving and slightly rub, just run the hell out of them until they don't rub.. The rivals and RS3 seem to like being stretched slightly as opposed to pinched. They also feel great with lower pressures so you can get the win win of grip and turn in. They take a couple hundred miles and a dozen or so runs to get "set" anyway. Keep the sprayer handy though in the summer, they don't mind the heat, but after a few runs, they will overheat especially with a co driver.

the 205/45/16 RS3 looks like it could be a winner for you. If it doesn't kill 2nd gear top end speed. Not sure what the FiST has for speed at the top of 2nd on stock tires, the 205/45 is quite a bit shorter.

There's always the 215/45/17s also...A bit taller than the ZII 215/40 so might be tight on fitment if the Dunlop's rubbed.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  4. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

Second gear top speed is roughly 55mph. I am yet to hit that though at my local courses.

5. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I have hit the limiter at almost all of our local events (that I have driven the car at) on a really long section of the course. It wasn't long enough to justify another shift though.

6. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

So far all the courses at my local events have been short. The fastest guys running <45 seconds on the longer course and at the last one I went to due to a sort of double booking of the same venue we had an especially short course with the fastest car doing something like 29 seconds but the dude with a 600cc motorcycle motor powered go kart did a 20.0 hah. I have gotten close to the rev limiter in second I'm too inexperienced to have that not slow my down for other reasons.

7. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I have hit 58 according to my GPS on the data logger. I am on the limiter on almost every course.

Smokin, limbo and Cligedy like this.
  8. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

9. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

Good point on the shoulder of the shock. I need to adjust to full stiff, so I will have to inspect the mounts. Nice write up. :thumbsup:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. CrookedRacer

I kind of felt like the stock eye bushing fit in there perfectly. I won't be changing it out.

Couldahadav8 likes this.
  11. CrookedRacer

Thanks! Tell me about your experience and why you are going to go full stiff. I am full soft right now and it feels just like stock.

Smokin likes this.
  12. Couldahadav8

I don't know. Maybe I should go full soft. I want to try to stiffen the front a bit. I have some end links I am going to try. I was going to go full stiff in back to balance it. I might take my stock rear tires next event to see what they do. Koni struts can't come fast enough.

13. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Curious question....how do front end links stiffen the front end?

14. Couldahadav8

Probably not at all or very little. The effective rate of the swaybar will not change. I was thinking that the stock links might be flexing, which would not happen with the ones I am putting on. The more I think about it, the more I think I won't do it. Good point. :)

15. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

Are you allowed to change the sway bar bushings to polyurethane? If so that would probably stiffen the front some.

16. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

The stock links seem to be pretty solid, some cars have rubber or other materials to isolate the road shock from the chassis. It would seem the only advantage to aftermarket links, vendor, manf, or DIY, would be to adjustable links to take out any preload, driver needs to be in the car to do this right.

That said, I am going to have adjustable links one way or another, just have not decided yet.

------------

The stock bushings are the hardest I have ever seen on a production car so you will not get much harder in the aftermarket unless get the race version PowerFlex ones and it will be a percentage of not great magnitude, I have them on the way though.

------------

What these cars really need is stiffer springs and proper shock valving, spring rates are the best way, besides roll center, etc..to correct the tall body of this car causing so much lean in corners.

Unfortunately some class rules limit such changes or allow one or another or....and some manf tuned there cars differently thus have an advantage that is harder to overcome.

You guys will figure it out for each class you choose to run in, please share it and not hide it, winning with secrets is a sign of not being a very evolved being;)

17. limbo

limbo Active Member

In street class solo you can change bushings but only on the one bar you choose to modify. Ie you can't add a rear bar and change the front sway bar bushings.

AlanBDahl likes this.
  18. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

Ah thanks and it's cool to hear that the stock bushings are pretty hard.

19. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Some stiffer bump stops wouldn't be as good as stiffer springs, but it would likely be an improvement. According to the Solo rules, it looks like bump stops are free to change, but only if you change the shocks. Am I reading that right?

20. CrookedRacer

I finished my double-adjustable Koni RACE inserts for the fronts...

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...d-fiesta-st-g-street-autocrosser/85752/page2/

I didn't get it done in time for sunday's autocross, and unfortunately my car was undriveable at the start of the event. Fortunately I was able to catch a ride in a totally-stock Focus ST. (Thanks Stephen!)

But it's done now! I hope I don't spend the rest of the car's life (or mine) chasing rattles.

Have Loc-Tite Will Travel!

21. Couldahadav8

Did you have a chance to get my set done yet?