SCCA Autocross setup thread

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by AlanBDahl, Oct 21, 2013.

1. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

I've never seen an autox course that doesn't require braking and without sharp turns. It is impossible not to use brakes, what do you do at the end of a straight portion heading into a turn if not brake? Coast?

Racing pads would make a huge difference.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. wash

wash Active Member

Despite our fantastic pads, our brakes are on the small side and the e-diff/torque vectoring doesn't help.

Our tires limit us more but the brakes are not too far behind.

4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Speaking of brake pads anyone have a line on track pads yet ??

5. wash

wash Active Member

Its a PBR type caliper, there should be pads available from many manufacturers unless the pad thickness is weird.

Ours have extra dust and smell a bit but they stop the car pretty good for the size of our rotors. You might not find anything that works better unless you sacrifice cold stopping, noise, rotor wear or something.

6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

OK thanks I am not too worried as I would just get a set of track pads and rotors for track days then swap as I have done in the past if it gets too annoying .. Agreed the pads that come stock do a good job as they sit. Just wondering if you folks in the warm track happy climates had any personal feedback after the events you have run.. ;)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  7. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

For track days I can see the need for a set of good pads and rotors...for autocross maybe just something with more bite (maybe), but I would be surprised if this car has any brake issues during an autocross event. If my stock golf didn't have issues I can't see the Fiesta having any, and I used to have two drivers on the golf with R comps.

Yes you use the brakes, but you are not trying to stop from really high speed anywhere...so it is just really quick shots to slow or help rotate the car...for the most part 40 to 80 second runs with a number of minutes to cool down between.

8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Agreed with the AutoX these should be good pads there ..

9. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

The event last weekend was a test-and-tune with a lot of people bailing out early around 3pm. Several cars were running constantly (including me) so by the end of round 3 the brakes were cooked. Runs were just over 1 minute long. They were fine after a few minutes of rest though.

As a comparison, a buddy in a BRZ with race pads and fluid was running over and over for probably 7 runs without any problem.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  10. k757

k757 Active Member

hmmm.... ok, will add Hawk HPS or HP+ pads and synthetic fluid change to my to do list

11. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Keith, are you running STX or GS? I can't remember what mods you have so far.

12. k757

k757 Active Member

GS
    I have legal downsized wheels and legal tires (205/50-16). I felt it best for me to get a bunch of runs in (get used to the car/FWD) before I do anything.

I worry about you in STX, I just don't know if it can be competitive. We'll find out at NNJR as you are against the NNJR club champion 2 years ago. :D He's in an STX BRZ

13. WScottCross

I'll get some practice this Sunday too! I'm going to Virgina for a week and they have an AutoX event in Virginia Beach and I'm up against an FR-S in STX and there's another FiST running GS. I got my 225/45R16 Direzza ZII's mounted today and my AccessPort is being delivered tomorrow. Getting really stoked!

14. k757

k757 Active Member

I'll have to put some good driving in to beat you. challenge accepted

15. WScottCross

That's what PAX indexes are for. Should be fun. While my car may be more capable, I may not be!

16. k757

k757 Active Member

true... but I aim high... raw time :D

17. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

Good luck. :D Drive well. :happy:

18. EBinVA

EBinVA Member

That other FiST is me! :D I'll see you there mate!

First race of the year down here, I'm so pumped for it. My wheels/tires just showed up today and they're sitting in my office right behind me.

19. k757

k757 Active Member

Pics or you're lying :D

20. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I'm glad to see all the positive reaction the car is having on the auto-x courses so far. My season doesn't start for another 7 weeks.......

21. EBinVA

EBinVA Member

Well here's the wheels/tires: [​IMG]

Pics from the event, along with goPro footage will be coming after Sunday too :D