Skip 5th gear

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by MLKN, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

Anyone else find fifth gear unnecessary and skip it all the time?
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

Yes all the time, my normal driving is 1-2-3-4-6 then 6-4-3-2-1. The only time I use 5th is when I'm driving at about 60km/hr, I will usually be in 6th gear 65-70km/hr or higher.
  4. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Thanks to local traffic congestion, and limits...(depending on hwy or cty) I am in 5th a lot actually. More often than 6th.
    LuvfiestaST likes this.
  5. MOFiST

MOFiST Member

Yeah that's me as well. If I'm doing 60km/ph to me the car is almost lugging in 6th. Around town I'm in 5th for cruising in traffic.
    Firesail and k757 like this.
  6. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I agree the car just feels better in 5th.

7. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I quite frequently skip 5th as well, especially downshifting.
  8. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

Because I'm still new to manual i always 1-2-3-4-5-6 and always down shift in reverse order. I'm too afraid to ruin anything.
  9. marc89gti

marc89gti Active Member

You won't ruin anything, you can skip gears when down shifting but have to be aware of your rpm's so that you don't redline or anything. When down shifting into 1st you have to below 15mph or 24kmhr other you will have the 1st gear synchro grind. But down shifting from 6th to 4th won't hurt anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I skip gears all of time...getting on the highway is 1,2,3 (over 60 by now) to 6...then cruise at 85 or so down the highway.
    Back roads is usually 3,4,5 depending on the road, turn, hill, whatever.
    Third is definitely my go to gear getting on the highway or when I am accelerating from about 30 to ?
    Off ramps is usually 6 brake to 40ish and downshift to 3...
    scooby2 likes this.
  11. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

That is actually very helpful. I'll try it out on my drive home today

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  12. WScottCross

6th gear at 60mph is around 2300RPM and dropping all the way to 3rd, would put you 4300. Totally fine, and it sounds good too! Maybe even a little burble and pop if you're running good gas.
  13. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

Always 93 Octane, usually from BP.
  14. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

I didn't really have much training when it comes to downshifting/sporty driving. So I've just been going through the gears, which does lead to some awkward shifting for corners .
  15. crzyworm623

crzyworm623 Member

My first car was a manual which I had for two years and hadn't driven one in seven years until my test drive. Little rough around the edges but going through all the gears at first is good practice to learn the clutch catch point and rpms based on speed. First year I drove I'd try to downshift every gear except first except on occasion I'd hit first too just for the practice. Might not be the best for the transmission if done for years that way, but it's the best way to learn and get smooth. There are also an abundance of YouTube videos now that offer great tips and of course the info on what to never do.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk
  16. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

I just use reverse, is that wrong?
    Gpfarrell likes this.
  17. WScottCross

If you can pull it off, it's not wrong. In fact, downright impressive!
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  18. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

I love all my gears too much to skip any of them. Putem all into use thats what theyre there for....

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Gpfarrell likes this.
  19. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

I definitely use every gear, any given day I drive..... (If I hit the highway) which I do Monday to Friday.

Iin the city... I don't really reach 6th gear. Generally 5th is the highest, and in the city even that is a stretch sometimes. Given that city limits range between 30-60km/h depending on the area.... Pretty obvious why I don't reach 6th. Factor in traffic, and I'm no where near 65km/h which is around the point it doesn't lug in 6th for me.. ( For you down south, the city speed limit is 31 mph in most cases, - 37 mph in some of the suburbs here ). But you can expect to rarely reach that in traffic.

That said, I don't "always" shift in numerical order, either up or down... (necessarily). I may, if it's that consistent of a gradual change..... But just as often, I'll bypass a gear or a couple. Whether up or down.

As far as 6th goes, yeah... I don't really use it until at least 65kmph.. Can feel the lugging noticeably at 60. (note - that is not miles per hour.)

I don't really watch RPM anymore either to be honest... I shift based on feel/sound and a sense of speed.... You get used to the sound & feel and eventually based on your senses... can generally pick out the right gear for the job.
  20. MOFiST

MOFiST Member

Am I the only one that finds the little arrow on the dash annoying? I wish I could turn it off. Always telling me to put the car into 6th when I'd be doing 1500rpm in 5th. No way baby.
    Gpfarrell likes this.
  21. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

Is that what the arrow is? To up shift? Insulting.
    LuvfiestaST likes this.