Skip 5th gear

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by MLKN, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Nik17

Nik17 Member

I was always under the impression those lights were there for the car to get better fuel economy ratings. As in, whoever tests the car for the ratings is supposed to shift up when the arrow shows, which would definitely increase MPGs as it tells you to shift up at pretty much any rpm as long as you're on the throttle.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

aha, I'll be honest.. I had no idea what the arrow was. My first thought was.... "Seriously...? Please don't let that be an arrow indicating which way I'm going."

Another blonde Fiesta moment brought to you by yours truly.

At least my second thought was... something to do with shifting.

Thought it was more of an indicator of something I had done though, rather than an instruction to do something. Never bothered to look it up/ask about it.
  4. MOFiST

MOFiST Member

I don't know why but it niggles me and I spend too much time looking at it. More dumb tech. Oh well at least the car is awesome to drive so I'll live with it :D
  5. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Guys be glad its not a bright yellow shift light lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  6. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

What's wrong with a bright yellow shift light?
    Although mine is set to bright blue.

7. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Well....if its bright yellow and tells you to shift at 2k and cannot be adjusted or removed dont you think it would get annoying?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  8. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

This is something that I have seen only on my Jeeps and the Ford...I don't remember it on any other car. It is to tell you when to shift for best fuel economy.
  9. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

It is there so everyone know when to shift for best fuel economy...not just people testing the car.
  10. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

OK in that case I guess you're right.

11. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

The Focus has a feature called 'EcoMode' which gives you a scoring system based on how well you shift, in relation to your fuel economy. One measure was 'Speed', as in how fast you drive the vehicle... Guess which one was always 5 out of 5?
  12. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

I can't keep my eyes off that light.. And for this Newfie it is distracting when driving and of course I follow it..;))
  13. LuvfiestaST

Btw I tried skipping 5th when downshifting but the car jerks.. I figured I'm doing something wrong...
  14. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

Try bringing up the revs and easing in the clutch.
  15. LuvfiestaST

So faster on the right foot and slower on the left?
  16. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

Right! er...Correct!
    LuvfiestaST likes this.
  17. Gpfarrell

Gpfarrell Member

Oh, I thought the arrow meant I should speed up. Whenever it comes on I give the car more gas until it goes out. Then it comes back on and I speed up again. This thing is really fun!
    Neely2005, stuntdoogie and MOFiST like this.
  18. LuvfiestaST

Driving in dt Toronto one can't skip 5th either
  19. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

Look up "rev matching" on YouTube
  20. Kap

Kap Member

Yep. Just blip the throttle to get the revs up a bit before letting out the clutch and it'll be much smoother. When you get it just right and it's seamless, it's quite satisfying. :cool:

Love it! :rotfl:

I probably use 5th a bit more than you, but this is pretty close to my own driving habits. The gearing is so close that 5th seems like a pointless shift on the highway (unless there's some traffic). On the right side roads, though, it can be the perfect gear. :)
  21. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

Nailed a perfect 5th to 3rd around a corner yesterday, took off like a rocket on the exit and felt awesome.
    spangenb likes this.