Skip 5th gear

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by MLKN, Mar 3, 2014.

1. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Man my dad's escape has some weird thing like that with leaves on his gauge cluster screen (13 SE 2.0T AWD btw - we got the good package), but we couldn'[t figure out how the hell it works or how to use it.

On the actual subject of this thread, I often go 1-3-4-6 on city streets just nursing it and highway entries are 1-2-3-6, backroads are 1-2-3 3-2-1 as needed
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Yeah those leaves are the EcoMode system, it essentially rewards you with a positive score for driving the car in a economic fashion.
  4. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Well in reading the manual online, it sounds like the shift arrow on our cars is actually a derivative version of the EcoMode... its trying to tell you when to shift up to save on gas. Reason why it shows up is that the system thinks by default that you are trying to drive conservatively, so if you mash the throttle it will disappear since its obvious that you are hooning.
  5. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

yeah, we were never able to figure that out or how to enable some sort of guide mode to help you get a better score. it was really cryptic
  6. Adamgil27

Adamgil27 New Member

Yea, I skip 4 to 6 unless I'm hauling a$$.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
  7. Ronbo

Ronbo Member

Those idiotic upshift arrows have been around for a long time. My '88 911 had one and it also wanted me to up shift at an absurdly low engine speed.
  8. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I skip 5th frequently in the name of both economy and less rowing gears when I am in cruise frame of mind. I have to say traveling to the UK twice last year gave me some global perspective. Their regular gas was over $7/gallon (yes I calculated for US gallons not Imperial). Everyone short shifts ... at or below 2k RPM. Nearly all cars are manual transmissions and probably 75% of the cars I saw were diesels. We all need to enjoy what we have here in the USA!
    Gpfarrell likes this.
  9. MOFiST

MOFiST Member

I didn't say before but in normal city driving at our speed limits I normally go 1-2-3-5 and cruise at 60kph. If it was an 80kph speed limit then ya I'd probably go 1-2-3-4-6
  10. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

The Fiesta ST Supplement says that you should shift to 5th at 66 Km and then shift to 6th at 67 Km.

So not much use for 5th gear.
  11. ST-in-Mich

ST-in-Mich Member

Thats way to low for either of those gears honestly. I don't hit 5th til like 80kmh then 6th at like 100kmh.
  12. Ca5p3r

Ca5p3r Member

I tend to do a lot of 1-2-6. drive around in 6th at 40mph. Come up to a red stoplight and just go to N, then if it turns green before I stop, shift to 2 or 3 depending on if I got slower than 20mph. I spent to much time in my dodge neon and doing stupid shifts. The FiST is so much smoother.

I'll usually start cruising in 6th from bout 35mph. Downshift to 5th or 4th if I need to accelerate.
  13. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

This is what Page 11 of the Fiesta ST Supplement recommends for shifting:

19 Km (from First to Second)
    37 Km
    51 Km
    66 Km
    67 Km

Now keep in mind that is their recommendation "to achieve the best fuel economy for your vehicle".
  14. MasterPooBaa

MasterPooBaa Member

Had the same issue when I rented a Fiesta Diesel over in Europe.
    The motor in that produced its best work between 2000 and 3000, yet I was getting the shift light as low as 1800rpm.
    Bugger that! I want some useable torque!
  15. MasterPooBaa

MasterPooBaa Member

Im glad 5th gear is good for that 1km/h ;)
    Neely2005 likes this.