So my original tires are almost used up...

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by wash, Apr 26, 2014.

1. wash

wash Active Member

They had a pretty hard life, about 15,000 miles, they might last a few thousand more in these dry summer months but I have to look for new street rubber.

I intend to get some nice 15-16" race rubber and I might quit using my stock wheels soon so I'm looking for something on a budget.

I think the 40 series sidewalls are a bit short for the potholes around here so I've been looking at 45 series tires and the most interesting cheap tire I see is the 215-45r17 Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 which hasn't quite been released yet (due 4-27) but work out to $86 each after rebate.

I asked the tire rack to measure the diameter and tread width so I could compare with the 215-45r17 BFG Rival that can rub a little:

[​IMG]

I hope its a bit shorter and that my stock wheels tuck them in a little better than those 17+7et42 wheels.

I hope they will be a 25,000+ mile tire without losing too much grip and decent when there is a little water on the ground because it does rain occasionally in California.

I'll post what I hear from the tire rack but if anyone knows a good budget alternative that is sticky and lasts pretty well, tell us.

SpaceFish and djdennehy like this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Let me just say, I love everything about this photo...

4. wash

wash Active Member

Yeah, its pretty cool, not mine though, just another forum member with the Rivals.

5. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Yeah, great photo. It looks like the left front tire is rubbing the fender and the air dam is nearly rubbing the pavement.

6. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

The Michelin A/S 3 in 205/45/17 is a suberb high performance all season so it makes a great all around tire and I intend to use them as my rain and too cold for track tire days at the track....check the reviews on TireRack.com

7. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

Well, they aren't cheap per se but the Michelin Pilot SuperSports are fantastic. I also really enjoyed the Continental ExtremeContact DWs that I had on my Mini. Cheap from TireRack too if I recall.

8. SAR-73

SAR-73 New Member

I second the continental, i thought it was a great road tire, especially for the money. Good wet weather track tire too.

9. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Gotta 3rd the Pilot Sports as I have a set and LOVE them in the rain and almost as much as my DZll's in the dry. Very good DD choice... Loved our Conti's too though ...

10. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I suggest P215/40 17 on the ST. I like the extra width and sidewall over the stock tire size. I run 215/40 17 on my Fiesta and had them on the ST for a week. The RE050A's don't last too long if you are having fun! :)

11. wash

wash Active Member

I got an email from the tire rack, they got the tires and they are now in "Quality control" where they will be measured.

I'm still leaning toward the V12 Evo2 pending the measurements.

I'm not interested in all season tires, I just know if my tires are totally bald in winter I will have some trouble with rain.

I want a summer tire that will still have some tread after 25,000 miles and hopefully a little more sidewall.

moff3tt likes this.
  12. Redlinez

Redlinez Member

The Nitto Neogen is another inexpensive but great all around tire.

13. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

I'll keep an eye on this post since I am after the same kind of thing. Though I'll likely go with 215/40/17 which is only marginally larger than the stock tire.

14. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

The car in the pic looks like it is about to roll to me....time for some stiffer springs, sways, etc.........75% of the weight on one tire, not so great, estimate of course, it could be a bit better or worse.