So now that the ZII is out of stock....what tires are people going with?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Mightymango, May 21, 2014.

1. k757

k757 Active Member

Did you rotate?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Nik17

Nik17 Member

I did not. I honestly wouldn't think to in that short period of time.

4. k757

k757 Active Member

AutoX is not friendly to tires, especially if you are experimenting with pressures and/or rough autox surfaces. It's best to try to keep aware of wear and rotate accordingly

5. Nik17

Nik17 Member

I was just expecting longer life, as I ran Star Specs for a whole season last year although that was on a different car.

6. I'm guilty of not rotating on fwd cars also. I would rather buy half the tires twice as often.
    MH

7. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Yeah Rodmoe, they were all in love with the Hankooks in STX. Including some hardcore BFG fans...

8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I saw that and what I was told is Hankook is paying more money for a win compared to Hoosier and the rest in the pro's i guess money talks .. well just bout anywhere it is that way :)

Smokin likes this.
  9. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

With our local Mini STX guy, it's not the money, it's the inability to win with the BFGs. He had a sponsorship deal with BFG but had Hankooks and Toyos on at Lincoln.

BTW, my buddy in the Genesis just switched out his admittedly worn BFGs for Hankooks. Our rivalry is pretty close so we will see in the nexct month which works.

I loved my kook Z214s on the GTI. Will not hesitate to switch if I find a workable size...Not convinced a 215/40/17 is the way yet...

10. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I was reading opinions somewhere that said the Hankooks come on better in later runs while the dunlops are good for the first few and the rivals did not live up to expectations. I have only used Dunlops and the stock tires on the Fiesta. I was leaning toward dunlops, but if there is any validity to the Hankooks coming on stronger in the last runs I may rethink that as it matches what I normally do. Which up until the Fiesta, has been to lay down my fastest run on my last run.

11. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Aside from the Rivals rubbing badly, they are fast and can take a lot of heat without getting greasy. I don't like how they drive though , they seem squirmy and weird at the limit, even during hard acceleration.

I would love to try the Hankooks if they came in a good 16" size. Heat management is a big deal for me because of our typical courses and summer temperatures.

It would be great if Dunlop would go ahead and confirm the Star Spec info and get tires onto market.

12. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

k757 and Firesail like this.
  13. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

14. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Where are you guys getting Hankooks, and in what size? I'm getting worried that I'll go through my Dunlops before nationals, should I decide to go.

And I can't even find ANY tires for our beloved Fiesta, let alone more Dunlops which are gone gone.

Where will I find moar tire?

15. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

16. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

That was the size I was going to go with when my Z2s give up the ghost...unless more RS-3 sizes become available.

17. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

The dunlops are a 50...so they are 24.1 inches in diameter. The hankooks are 23.2...as it is I run out of second gear on most courses, so the more diameter the better (to a point)
    Funny - tire rack still shows dunlops available...

18. Mightymango

Not in the 225/45/16

19. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Misunderstood...thought you said you were going with that size in the Dunlop....

20. Mightymango

I was considering it but I know they will rub on hard turn in. If it was just for street use...different story.

21. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Thanks - I might have to buy ANOTHER set of wheels wrapped in those Hankooks to compare with my Dunlops, and save the best-performing set for Nationals. Ugh. This is getting expensive already!