Sound symposer delete

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Engine Upgrades' started by RDgolfer, Nov 8, 2014.

1. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

I don't. I don't even... Wait, what the heck is happening here...

Firesail, Dyn085 and ghostwhite like this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

this conversation reminds me why I am getting so tired of automotive forums. I guess when I have information to share or to clarify, I should keep it to myself. Being closely tied to the Fiesta and Fiesta ST program since 2009 has put me into a position where I know so much less than people who just bought the car.

Firesail, timboslice and Dyn085 like this.
  4. Dyn085

Dyn085 Active Member

A few people have been golfered recently. We should all strive to excellence and such clear thought.

Somewhere along the lines of evolution somebody installed a tube in our ear canals that take real noise and transfer it to our bone receptors. This bone receptor then magics sound into an electrical signal for our brain to hear.

Note that we have been golfered we know that all sounds are fake.

FORZDA 2 likes this.
  5. FORZDA 2

FORZDA 2 Member

I understand the jist of what you're saying, but I'm not sure the exact details you're referring to. Please enlighten me...

I've had people doing some specific work for me say "I've been doing this for 20 years" as an attempt to discredit that I'm showing them where they just screwed it up. Just because you have lots of time on a topic or item doesn't mean you are "good" at it.

That also applies to me, so just because I've been driving, building and modifying cars and bikes for more than 50 years doesn't mean I know a damn thing about them...

Firesail likes this.
  6. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

referring to the "fake sound" discussion. It 100% isn't fake sound, it is actual intake sound being directed to the cockpit. There are many conversations online from people installing "x" part and getting "y" results with no data to back up the claim and totally backwards from what engineering would tell you.

I do agree that time based experience isn't always a good excuse for why something is right or wrong. In this case, the OP has provided zero proof that the sound is indeed fake or the car produced more power with the symposer removed. By this discussion, one could argue that any musical instrument produces a fake sound. A speaker is the worst offender since it is taking electrical signals to vibrate a medium to produce sound. A phone? Yeah, that is totally fake. I would bet your voice is also fake since it is produced by vibration of chords. To suggest air being forced into an engine is fake because a seperate tube sends the sound into the cockpit is just wrong.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  7. ghostwhite

ghostwhite Active Member

Symposer delete won't make more power but will tighten throttle response

8. FORZDA 2

FORZDA 2 Member

You guys make me laugh...

9. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

All right...things can be taken the wrong way on the internet...we all know that...it's a kazoo

10. aar0n

aar0n Member

I took out the symposer and put a freeze plug in the intake tube with a clamp on it. I am mad now that the freeze plug is rusting since i have it where it is concave and water puddles on it. I am going to get a different freeze plug and put it upside down then clamp it. This should prevent the water collecting and rust.

Taking it out = weight reduction lol

11. RDgolfer

RDgolfer Active Member

Dorman 1-1.125" rubber expansion plug..Autozone...cheap...I am using this stop gap measure until I install the mountune charge pipes and eliminate the symposer completely

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  12. aar0n

aar0n Member

I believe a freeze plug is like 50 cents or something. cant get much cheaper than that. :)

13. FORZDA 2

FORZDA 2 Member

a paper towel is much cheaper...

14. aar0n

aar0n Member

True but I removed the whole symposer. A Paper towel cannot seal your intake.......

15. FORZDA 2

FORZDA 2 Member

LOL Yep, you went for the "tighten throttle response" option. I haven't followed the hose all the way to the firewall. How does it attach there?

16. ZREXER

ZREXER Member

Lets get back to discussing something less controversial like the best oil to use...

reddog99 and Firesail like this.
  17. aar0n

aar0n Member

Honestly I tucked back the hose, didnt plug the one going to the firewall lol. It is on my todo list to remove that tube going to the firewall.

I dont see it being controversial, either you like the sound or you dont. I guess i see the controversial part being whether it is beneficial performance wise or not but to me it seems the amount would be negligible if at all.