Sparco Assetto Gara vs. Motegi MR125 vs. O.Z. Ultraleggara on Dunlop Direzza DZII

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by McRib 1s Back, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Ha! Oh wait, that might be my situation next week! Aren't you in the frozen north? Maybe I won't collect road grime here in LA? ;)

Maybe I'll try some wax on them...

4. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Its also because we had snow a few days ago and the ground is still wet.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

5. pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2 Active Member

The Dunlop Direzza DZ101s have VERY soft side walls. They also got very noisy. I used them on my Focus SVT w/18x7 OZ Ulteggeras. I will never buy them again. EDIT: I need to learn to read the entire thread before posting. lol

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  6. pelotonracer2

Damnit! Pictures... or it never happened! LOL :p Edit: NEVERMIND, I see you posted some. hahaha

7. pelotonracer2

I think you just sold me on a set of dark grey Sparcos. I really want the OZs, but just cannot get past the price difference.

8. pelotonracer2

I can't remember if you already answered this or not but is your car on stock ride height? It looks lowered. Looks great by the way. :)

9. stuntdoogie

Thanks Peloton...not lowered.

10. stuntdoogie

Added ST decals to the wheel caps today...also did the Ford emblems.

Attached Files:

bryramos and CarefreeAZ like this.
  11. McRib 1s Back

That's a very nice touch! Incidentally, I just talked to Tire Rack today -- actually, they called me to be sure I really wanted 225s in 16" diameter for my ST! Ahem, yes. :)

It turns out these will ship from Nevada later today and I'll have them Monday or Tuesday. I'm looking forward to getting them

On another note, I asked about the center cap. The rep said that sometimes they ship in blue, but I confirmed mine would ship as black. We'll see what actually arrives! If I get blue, I'll be doing a similar treatment to mine.

12. McRib 1s Back

I remember thinking the same thing, and it is a nice look.

For my setup, I think I'll net about 1.5% taller diameter, so it may have about the same clearance. I'll snap a couple shots when I get them on.

13. stuntdoogie

Lol mine werent blue all along, it was a tinted blue overlay protector. The caps are black background with silver sparco logo.

14. McRib 1s Back

LOL...seems they've heard this enough to be confused too! :)

15. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

The Motegi 125s have eight holes for lug nuts, being drilled for both 4x100 and 4x108 patterns. Is the same true for the Sparcos?. .. I had my son design some plugs for the extra holes to be run off on a 3D printer Fiesta Wheel Cap.jpg

This is just the first iteration of the idea... Fiesta Wheel Cap.jpg

16. McRib 1s Back

Excellent idea! I think your idea is very cool, but it doesn't appear to work for the Sparco wheels. I'll confirm shortly.

17. limbo

limbo Active Member

Nope, Sparco's are only drilled for 4x108.

18. McRib 1s Back

My wheels and tires listed a Nevada warehouse for fulfillment. Now that I'm tracking them, I see they're in Mesquite,TX! Apparently they switched to a Louisiana warewhouse. These won't arrive today after all. :/

The only thing I can think of is that these are discontinued wheels and may not be in stock in NV (or partially in-stock). Anyhow, it's something to keep in mind when choosing these. Speaking of which, I'm on the fence about buying one more spare wheel. I've been known to bend and crack a few wheels in my time! :)

P.S. I just figured out that you can edit the title. Another forum with the same engine disallowed that, so I didn't even try until now! These are still Dunlop Direzza DZ2 tires in 225/45/16.

19. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

I'm a little ignorant on this so please explain. One can put different widths of tires on the same rim? It sounds like a wider tire will give more of a contact patch and better handling? What is the trade off? Thanks for educating me.

20. pelotonracer2

The trade off of going to a wider tire on a skinny-ish rim is sidewall "bulge". I prefer a slight (emphasis on slight) sidewall "stretched" or rounded look, purely for aesthetics, nothing else.

21. pelotonracer2

If it was an O.Z. Ultraleggera, I'd definitely advise getting a spare. While they are very light, they are also VERY susceptible to being bent or cracking. I went through A LOT of 18x7s on my Focus SVT. Back then THAT wheel (when it was available) was $320 a pop. Then they discontinued them and I was SOL. After cracking another wheel in several places, it could not be repaired and could not be replaced so I had to buy all four new wheels AND tires. I went with the black euro SVT wheel and 17" tires... and then promptly traded it in on an '11 MS3. lol