Sparco Assetto Gara vs. Motegi MR125 vs. O.Z. Ultraleggara on Dunlop Direzza DZII

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by McRib 1s Back, Dec 20, 2013.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but for this car, I'm trying for an urban vehicle that can do track days. My setup will go the other way, slightly. On the plus side, the extra rubber should save the wheels from the various city scuffings. I hate when I scratch a wheel! Black should touch up pretty easily.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

Maybe my timing was off, but this wasn't the best Tire Rack experience so far. I guess the holiday crunch got in the way, and I just heard that UPS was hit especially hard (something like 230 million shipped packaged since Turkey Day!). My wheels won't arrive until the 30th, and even that is starting to look questionable. Factor in a storm and backlogs, and I may not see them until after the 1st.

4. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I ordered the Sparco terra with Dunlop Winter Maxx in 16x7 on Monday. Haven't checked the shipping route yet but see i did get an e-mail.

You guys don't buy up all of the Sparco Assetto Gara's, I'm planning on getting some in March.............

5. McRib 1s Back

Based on what I heard from TireRack, I would not count on there being wheels left in March! The rep said they're moving pretty fast, and they're aggressively marketing them. I saw the printed ads in the current MotorTrend...

6. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

So 5.63" backspacing Sparco vs 5.87" on Sport Edition SE-17s ($79).

So does 5.87" move the tire 1/4 inch out or in? (This is a backup plan and $30/wheel saving just in case the Sparco's sell out)
    Sparco doesn't pay contingency so I'm not married to them...

7. McRib 1s Back

Less backspacing moves the wheel away from the vehicle. So your backup plan wheels are about 1/4" further in.

8. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

BTW, Tire Rack/UPS......Ordered the winter set 12/23/13; Shipped from Hodgkin, IL early 12/24/13. Delivered to my door in KC just now.....2PM CST....12/27/13. and I don't get the car until next week!!!

9. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Bazinga! I'm so happy I could shit!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  10. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM
    BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED
    Dec 23, 2013 at 10:28 PM
    ORIGIN SCAN
    HODGKINS, IL
    Dec 24, 2013 at 02:20 AM
    DEPARTURE SCAN
    HODGKINS, IL
    Dec 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    ARRIVAL SCAN
    LENEXA, KS
    Dec 27, 2013 at 04:44 AM
    OUT FOR DELIVERY
    LENEXA, KS

11. McRib 1s Back

Bah! I mean...nice! :) I'm *still* waiting for my wheels. UPS screwed the pooch, and I won't get the setup until the 30th (shipped on the 23rd with "two day delivery")!

Smokin likes this.
  12. McRib 1s Back

It looks like the wheels and tires are nearly here. They've been in LA since early last Friday. I really don't like UPS ! FedEx next time...

So, my stock ST wheels and tires have almost exactly 500 miles on them. They're for sale!

I'd prefer local pick-up. $700 seems fair, no? I'll post them on the For Sale forum. We have one of those, right?

13. McRib 1s Back

The wheels and tires arrived midday today! This is a good news, bad news story.

The bad news isn't all that bad, but it leaves me a little dissatisfied and I have the need to follow-up with them about it. One tire had a long tack in the tread block of one tire. Fortunately I could pull it out, and it doesn't appear to have penetrated all the way through. The fact that it was there behind the packaging suggests it was there while rolling around in the warehouse or the mounting area. It's a white plastic dome head tack with ~1/2" shank. I have a photo of this.

The other bit of bad news is that one wheel is slightly bent! I took a photo, and it was obviously that way when mounted. I think it was dropped on the floor and resulted in a slight flat spot on the lip. Yes, I'm being picky -- but I want to be the one to bend them! :) Okay, photo there too.

I don't think I'd want to return it, but I still want TireRack to hear about this. It suggests a problem with QA and my imagination runs wild about the folk in the LA distribution warehouse (most of my family is from Shreveport, so it's almost okay to suggest this!). ;)

Onto the good stuff:

The wheels and tires were packed very well. This is something I've come to expect and appreciate from TireRack with every order. Good stuff! They fit well and look great too.

I used a spray carnuba wax on the wheels before mounting them. With this, I was able to get into all the little nooks and hope this will payoff in easier to clean wheels down the road.

I took a few photos and I'll post them soon. Even with the mold-release compound it's obviously a huge improvement in traction (figure that will burn off in a few miles). This goes for hard acceleration in a straight line or aggressive cornering. They're quiet too, and the type of squeal that I normally associate with a race compound tire. So far it looks like less torque steer too! I'm still running the 93 octane map on 100 octane fuel, and it had some torque steer in aggressive acceleration, it's mostly gone now. I'm happy about that.

The combination is lighter than stock, but I can't say how much. After wrenching on my Jeep with 35" beadlocks (nearly 100lbs!), these feel like toy car wheels and tires! It was fun to swap them. I have a great dual piston jack 3 ton jack for my Jeep, and it makes short work of this on the FiST!

No problems with fitment! Thank you to everyone that suggested this tire and size. I'm happy, but need to follow-up with TIreRack to be completely satisfied.

Oh yeah, I'm running 34 PSI front, and 32 PSI rear, cold.

Edit: Added cold tire pressure values.

14. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Same amount of psi im running on my setup. If i were you of wouldve made tirerack replace the wheel and tire....you payed a good chunk of change for this and deserve a flawless product.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

15. McRib 1s Back

It's subtle damage, and I'll see if they can't make things right with a discount in the form of a partial refund.

16. McRib 1s Back

image.jpeg image-7.jpeg image-6.jpeg

Here's that tack that came factory pre-installed!

image-5.jpeg image-4.jpeg image-1.jpeg

You can see the flat spot on the lip here:
    image-2.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    Firesail and bryramos like this.
  17. JP6

JP6 Member

Those look great! Any shots from the side? How's the wheel gap?

18. stuntdoogie

They look awesome, enjoy!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

19. McRib 1s Back

Sure thing -- here's the front and rear. I'd say slightly less gap due to the overall diameter increasing about 1.5%

Rear:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388530359.217387.jpg

Front:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388530383.465734.jpg

kamakazee likes this.
  20. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Just ordered my set of the same with the matte graphite Sparco wheels. Won't need them for 4 months but the closeout wheel price was too good to pass up!

21. stuntdoogie

Mcrib, all you need is a nice drop and your ST will look killer!