Sparco Assetto Gara vs. Motegi MR125 vs. O.Z. Ultraleggara on Dunlop Direzza DZII

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by McRib 1s Back, Dec 20, 2013.

1. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I would expect coilovers to improve inboard clearance. Looking at your pics it's the outboard clearance I am concerned about. Surely some negative camber in the front will address things. Don't think there's any adjustment in the rear.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Right, I agree. I think the natural negative camber curve handles things up front. No adjustment out back.

4. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Unrelated post, but when I lowered my '08 Mustang I was shocked that the front gained about 1.5 degrees of negative camber :) After the Fox cars I had, that was a welcome improvement!

5. McRib 1s Back

Yep! My target is -1.5.

6. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

FYI BC struts for the front have a slotted top knuckle mount hole for adjustment .. Nothing on the rear as spring is separate from shock as it mounts on the twist beam and the shock mounts at a different point on the beam. I can toss up pics of the BC kit unmounted if you like .. To busy and too cold to wrench on car this week lol

7. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Thanks for that info Rod. Sounds like just what I need. STX allows camber plates up top, but I would rather not take that step just yet.

8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

It would be a real tight fit for camber plates on the ST as working room is limited ..

Also for scca don't they limit shock adjustment to two clicks where the BC have 30 . And they do I can say that for a fact

9. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Here is a clip from the rulebook for STX. This is for Street Touring, mind you, not Stock/Street class:

14.5 SHOCK ABSORBERS
    A. Shock absorber bump stops may be altered or removed.
    B. Any shock absorbers may be used. Shock absorber mounting brack-
    ets which serve no other purpose may be altered, added, or replaced,
    provided that the attachment points on the body/ frame/subframe/
    chassis/suspension member are not altered. This installation may
    incorporate an alternate upper spring perch/seat and/or mounting
    block (bearing mount). The system of attachment may be changed.
    The number of shock absorbers shall be the same as Stock. No
    shock absorber may be capable of adjustment while the car is in mo-
    tion, unless fitted as original equipment. MacPherson strut equipped
    cars may substitute struts and/or may use any insert. This does not
    allow unauthorized changes in suspension geometry or changes in
    attachment points (e.g., affecting the position of the lower ball joint
    or spindle). It is intended to allow the strut length changes needed to
    accommodate permitted modifications which affect ride height and
    suspension travel.

RodMoe likes this.
  10. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Mmmm I love the smell of tires in the morning ;-) Ok maybe it's too cold to smell them LOL

Attached Files:

pelotonracer2 and Cligedy like this.
  11. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Mine showed up a day early. Don't ask for em' if you don't want em':)

12. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Some comparison pics of the factory tires and the 225/45-16 Direzzas on Sparcos. The factory unit weighs 42.4 lbs and the new unit weighs 41.2. A ton more grip AND lighter. Cool :)

Attached Files:

McRib 1s Back likes this.
  13. pelotonracer2

pelotonracer2 Active Member

I did the exact same thing today lol

14. pelotonracer2

So where are your pictures of wheels/tires mounted on the car? heh ;)

15. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Ha ha very funny peloton ;-)

pelotonracer2 likes this.
  16. McRib 1s Back

This is great, thank you. I was hoping the combo would be even lighter, but this works! Other "performance" wheels have actually turned out to be heavier than stock, thank goodness we don't have that situation! :)

17. McRib 1s Back

...and the grip improvement is enormous! It really is just a win all around in terms of performance. They don't squeal as much, and the sound is "better" when they do (like most R-compound type tires). Breakaway is good, and I'm very happy with them.

I meant to say something about ride quality earlier. This is one place it's not a clear improvement over stock -- in fact, it is probably a little stiffer now! I don't mind, but for all of the people enjoying their cushy floppy sidewall 16s out there (I'm looking at you, "winter tire people"), this isn't a setup that will do that for you. :)

pelotonracer2 and Smokin like this.
  18. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Me likey!!!!

19. pelotonracer2

I love mine but they make a really strange droning sound at about 70 mph... at first I thought it was my music and muted it but it's definitely the tires. They are very noisy in comparison to the stockers.

20. McRib 1s Back

That is weird! Maybe they only do that in the smaller sizes?

:)

Just kidding! I suppose they do have a resonance about them. See if it passes below and above that -- I occasionally hear it. It makes sense that a (slightly) different width and mass would create a different harmonic resonance.

21. McRib 1s Back

While driving around yesterday, I found at least one place where this setup can rub a tiny bit.

There's a high traction, but bumpy segment of road in an industrial park that I was checking out for this very thing. Coming in hot, around 35 MPH, and sliding through the turn, I hit a rough patch and bottomed out, crashed on the front left bump stop and heard the telltale sound of rubbing.

I couldn't reproduce it, and it hasn't done this anywhere else. Moreover, there aren't obvious signs of rubbing on the tire or liner. I'll keep an eye on it.

This might be an issue for a car that's lowered with an otherwise stock suspension. Food for thought.