Sparcos and Direzz Z IIs

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by Smokin, Jan 24, 2014.

1. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Post up when you locate some SS lines plz :)

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

For the front, regular Fiesta ones are fine.

http://www.helperformance.us

I held off since, I'm thinking about a more complete kit before tearing this apart.

Dave likes his SS lines. Lots of colors too. OJ helps you stop faster. ;)

4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

OJ = Orange Julius ??

Ya i want to do it all at once too so waiting on the rears

5. McRib 1s Back

Dave is all about orange! Naturally, I assume it will give him an advantage. Really, wait until you meet him.

Yeah, I want to do front/rear and "fix" the brake pedal feel. I've gotten used to heel/toe with this so I'm sure I'll have to learn it again! ;)

6. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Are there any track pads out yet?
    When is your track day Rib?
    I won't be able to track the new z2's until March 29th.

7. EvoNiner

EvoNiner Active Member

I've been debating what to get!! You have to tell me how you like the 16's and the 225's. I've been torn between that and 17's 215's with the ZII's. I really can't wait to hear about your impressions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. McRib 1s Back

There are alternate pads, but I'm not sure they're better! I'm willing to try. :)

2/2 -- Super Bowl Sunday! I set up this event because I knew it would be lighter in terms of traffic and participants!

This will be a nice test session. I'm sure the brakes will be big on my list after this, then my coilovers, followed by other goodies.

9. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

How was the track day?

10. McRib 1s Back

Fun! See the full thread in "Road Racing->Track Days".

We're going back on 2/15 and 3/8! Join us! :)

11. Fiat slayer

Fiat slayer Member

I have a question about the dunlop direzza z2 tires about them being able to fit on the factory 17" wheels in a. 215/40r17

12. wash

wash Active Member

That should fit fine.

The sidewall is still pretty short...

13. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Ok, mounted up the Direzza's Thursday and got a competition alignment Friday.
    opted for -0.2 total toe-out. Took away the dartiness. Handles fine but have not driven it hard yet.
    Best they could do with my weight in the driver's seat was -1.2 camber.
    tried to twist it up to -1.5 but still too tight tolerances.
    Once I have confirmation from Ford Service whether there is a service manual mention of eccentric camber bolts will try to go that way.

BTW on the street with 35# in the rear, still about 1 inch of rubber not hitting the road. Going down to 32# R.
    At the test&tune in two weeks plan on starting with 38F/30R.....will let you know what happens.

spangenb likes this.
  14. EBinVA

EBinVA Member

I think you're picking a good starting point to start dialing things in on. I've got around 20 runs in with the same wheel/tire setup as you and I've been at 42#F and after getting to grips with the car a bit I'm getting slight rollover onto the sidewall. It's from having to load up so much weight onto the front of the car to get it to rotate through particularly tight sections and not happening on every corner by any stretch and the tread contact is pretty much perfect otherwise.

I started high on my rear pressures initially with 48# and it felt great at a rather cold (45* and cloudy) event but at the much nicer second events (75* and sunny) it killed the car's ability to rotate completely. I went up as high as 51-52 with no joy before backing off. I went as low as 28# but ended up settling at 32# for now. When it's warm and dry it's quite tough to get the back of the car around on tight, low speed corners but it really feels wonderfully composed, predictable, and willing to fly through faster sweepers and quick transitions like boxes and slaloms.

The surfaces may potentially come into play as well, the cold event was on concrete and the warm event was on pavement.

15. k757

k757 Active Member

I have this config: 16x7, 205/50-16
    My first event is sunday in 50% rain conditions on a very good/smooth pavement surface. My on-street is 35/35 and I'm not scuffing the edges yet. I'm planning on starting at the same 35/35 and seeing what happens. I know the tires will be greasy still as maybe only 200 miles will be on them by then.

I'll keep in mind the pressures mentioned here. This is going to be fun

Smokin likes this.
  16. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

There are alternate pads? What kind? I've yet to even find options let alone something that's clearly an upgrade.

17. McRib 1s Back

We'll have Porterfield pads, soon. It was surprisingly hard to get my replacement OEM pads! The few local dealers commented that they hadn't sold a single pair, yet (naturally). It sounded like they all had the same set available at a regional warehouse.

As an interesting aside, my OEM front pads were 85% gone, while my rears had 80% remaining.

Anyhow, they're installed; my earlier reference was based on what I heard about the UK market. I didn't want to pay a big premium for them (the Hel UK SS lines were bad enough).

18. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

I see that they have a US site now with Free shipping from HEL that looks like the same place anyway
    HEL Brake Lines USA
    Cool color options too.
    thanks

19. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

Guess we can't place an order on the Porterfields yet, can we? Will it just be the R4S compound? Is that their race compound? I don't really know their line-up as I ran PFC on my M3.

For now I'll take a second set of OEM pads to the track because I could see cooking a set in a weekend especially with NT01's on the car.

20. McRib 1s Back

Not quite yet -- soon! :)

Yes, race compound. I don't know if they'll call it "R4S" or "R4", yet.

The OEM pads aren't bad. I'd say they're better stock pads than most cars I've had! The only "issue" I've encountered is fade. After switching to Motul 600 (and now SS lines), I'm okay. Even the twisty HTM didn't fade them.

Keeping the stock pads handy is a good idea. My new/2nd set of OEM pads will go in the backup bag.

21. McRib 1s Back

Right, same guys, in a way. I talked to them on the phone and they're very nice. It's actually a stateside arrangement with the Hel brand (these guys do related stuff with motorcycles).

These lines are actually made per-order. It's probably more accurate to say "similar quality with same label". I have no complaints.