ST in LA/West LA.

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Meet and Greet' started by koozy, Mar 30, 2014.

1. koozy

koozy Active Member

2014 Fiesta ST (March build/delivery 2014)
    - Oxford White
    - Recaro Seats
    - NAV

Current Mods (Feb. 2015)
    - AIRTEC Intercooler
    - COBB Accessport V3
    - COBB RMM
    - COBB Catted Downpipe
    - FORD Locking Fuel Filler Plug
    - no-pistons dead Pedal
    - McGard - Wheel Locks (24196 Chrome)
    - Zeitronix Ethanol Content Analyzer
    - Radium -6AN PTFE plumbing w/ GM ethanol sensor
    - Suspension Techniques (ST) Lowering Springs

Virtual dyno results for Cobb stage 0 base map and Cobb Stage 3 91 octane base map configured for E40, as such focus on the deltas and not so much the peak numbers.

Mods: Airtec Intercooler, Cobb Downpipe, and of course the Accessport.

Stage 0

Stage 3 base w/E40

Having fun on Mulholland Highway.

May 2014
    FORD Locking Fuel Filler Plug

COBB Accessport V3

McGard - Wheel Locks (24196 Chrome)

The RMM was swapped out for something more sturdier.

The stock exhaust was cut to install a 55mm coupler on it, to make it a reasonable bolt-on affair. This will make my exhaust swap easier in the future and also keep the stock exhaust reasonably intact in the event I need to put the car back to stock.

Oct. 2014
    Next up was an Airtec intercooler and Cobb downpipe. 13lbs. for the intercooler and 7lbs. for the downpipe.

The Cobb downpipe is so pretty, too bad it won't be seen.

The intercooler swap was painless. I changed 2 factory bolts for some plastic supports for peace of mind. Here's a shot of the OEM bolt and the clearance with the Airtec intercooler. It fits fine and I don't think there would ever be an issue, as everything is solid and does not move.

Here's the bolt, there's one on each side.

Here's what I replaced them with, they offer a tiny bit more clearance and not abrasive should contact ever occur. Bolts are from Home Depot.

Here's the clearance with the pan head bolt.

And here a shot of the center cradle mount that is removed due to the interference with the intercooler as depicted. Ideally the intercooler would be on top of the mount. It is possible to trim the mount to accommodate the intercooler if one chooses. This mount is not for the intercooler, it's for the plastic tray underneath. There's 2 other mounts that still support it fine.

the intercooler fitted and finished.

From the get go I was determined to pull the stock down pipe from the bottom. I knew it could be done from others who had done it, but no one really showed how. After spending about 15 minutes trying to figure out how to squeeze the down pipe out, bingo it comes out. It literally fell out with ease. I found the issue to be the 2 studs for the bracket that attached to the rear torque mount. The studs take up space. Several aftermarket down pipes have done away with these studs altogether making it easier to remove and install from the the bottom.

Here's a tip for anyone looking to remove the OEM down pipe from the bottom, drop the cat-back to get it out of the way and make sure the heat shield is off the converter, once the studs are over the power steering and front sway bar, position the 2 studs towards the driver side and pull the down pipe out.

Here's a shot of the 2 studs and the position the down pipe is in that allow it to come out from the bottom. It will fall right out without much effort, easy enough for me to put it back in and snap a shot of it.

Down the tunnel with the down pipe removed.

The Cobb down pipe bolted in. Installing it was a breeze, since it's a lighter slimmer package sans studs compared to the stock unit. Installation is much easier without the bracket provisions. The bracket is on the OEM down pipe to help support it's weight. It's heavy compared to the Cobb unit, which does away with the bracket. Stock down pipe is 11lbs. Cobb is 7lbs. Also note that the OEM down pipe has notches on down pipe flange to turbo. This is to allow you to hang it on to the bolts during installation because of it's weight, making it a one man job and not two to thread the bolts in.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Sharp looking Car :)
  4. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Agreed! I love the white, but I can't have one because I'm far too anal about keeping it clean. Black and white are awesome when they are clean and shiny!
  5. bryramos

bryramos Member

Congrats! Where in So Cal are you?
  6. koozy

koozy Active Member

Thanks guys here's a couple more.
    I'm in the LA/West LA area.

bryramos likes this.
  7. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Nice photos! Welcome aboard! :)
  8. koozy

koozy Active Member

Had a lot fun in the canyons. I only had time for 1 photo op, spent most of it driving. :)

Last edited: May 18, 2014
    bryramos likes this.
  9. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

I think I saw your car last Friday in El Segundo. I say this because I've only seen two STs in the wild and one of them was white.
  10. koozy

koozy Active Member

hmm.. must have been someone else. I was nowhere near El Segundo last Friday. I rarely make it south of the 105fwy. Last time was to South Bay Ford a month or so ago. Now if you catch a white one near Marina Del Ray, that might be me.
  11. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

Weird coincidence. Anyway, very nice car sir.
  12. Randy@mountune

Randy@mountune Active Member

Lookin good!
  13. koozy

koozy Active Member

Mulholland Highway.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    BlueBomber likes this.
  14. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Great write up Koozy. Just bought my 2015 ST. I too am in West LA. If you see a black ST in the Marina with no paper plates, it is me.
  15. koozy

koozy Active Member

Thanks and congratulations with your recent acquisition, it's a fun car.
  16. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Thanks. Best handling car Ive owned. Thats not saying much though. 1300 miles on it, currently. Bought it Oct 19th from Galpin. Plan on doing similar mods as yourself. Already purchased cp-e engine mount. Thought i'd try someone elses mount. Will install it next weekend. Also an intake and exhaust.
  17. koozy

koozy Active Member

cool, hopefully an Accessport or similar tool is on your list as well.
  18. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Yes indeed.
  19. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Koozy, did you ever think to wrap the down pipe before installation?

Mounted my intake, exhaust, and cp-e engine mount. The Injen intake is loud. Love it! The MBRP exhaust is loud. Love it, for now. The cp-e mount feels like the engine is rigid mounted. Absolutely no wheel hop.
  20. koozy

koozy Active Member

nah. I'm not trying to squeeze out every little hp, nor do if feel anything around there is in jeopardy of being toasted. Ford has done a good job of protecting and sheathing the important things in the area.
  21. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Thanks for your opinion.