ST in LA/West LA.

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Meet and Greet' started by koozy, Mar 30, 2014.

1. koozy

koozy Active Member

any reason why you went with that muffler? i think if you went with a long bullet type resonator it would have "scrubbed" more of the exhaust flowing out. good luck!
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

I went with it because: I had a Amazon gift card, it was $60, well known brand, and made in the USA.

It was Flowmaster part # 843015: Super 10. Made of 409S. Came painted black.

From my second day of driving it, does seem much quieter. Maybe you'll hear it someday when you attend SCS.

1/9/2015 update: This morning during high rev down shifts, I heard music to my ears... popping and and hint of crackling... and this is on OEM tune. My hybrid recipe is turning out pretty good. You should try my tri-tip.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  4. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

This is what I get for living in a communist state (don't get me started on the firearms bullsh_t here):

Inspection: Passed!

Penal Code: 27156(B): Modified Emissions: State Referee Certificate Required: Passed: Price: $8.25

Penal Code: 27150(A): Modified Exhaust: Passed: 94.9 decibels at 4500 RPM (legal limit is 95 decibels +/- 1); Price: $108.00

Shooting the sh_t with Jreisat, the referee... priceless!

If any of you numbnuts get a violation in the LA area, I suggest going to the Downtown referee. Jreisat is cool.
    bryramos likes this.
  5. koozy

koozy Active Member

eek: I'm reminded why I find comfort with my stock exhaust.
  6. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

FYI: I will keep all documentation in my car for future pull overs.

Did you know? Any modification to a vehicle is a federal offense (from the mouth of the referee). Of course, they don't enforce it.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  7. koozy

koozy Active Member

I don't believe he knows the truth of the matter regarding mods. he should visit SEMA :D
    though I think he may have been referencing emissions related mods, in that case yes he's probably right.
    Cligedy likes this.
  8. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

He has been refereeing for 15 years. He is not a rookie. The law isn't enforced because the automotive industry (aftermarket too) has its say in Washington, not to mention the $$$ behind it.
  9. koozy

koozy Active Member

I'd like to see this law. Is there a link?
  10. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Let the research begin!
  11. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

I know I've turn this thread into a LA Superior Court information thread, but here is the latest...

Went to court yesterday to bring the 'fix it' documentation and pay the $25 per violation fee. After waiting 1 1/2 hours in line, I got up to a desk. Well, since the officer checked the little box that says "not correctable" next to the emissions violation [27156(B)], I would have to pay the $515 bail amount to wipe my hands clean of it... or get a court date. So my court date is in August... and the Kommifornia saga continues.
  12. koozy

koozy Active Member

sucks, after 15yrs. he couldn't check the right box. good luck with the saga, hopefully it'll be smooth from here on out for you.
  13. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

No, it was not the state referee, it was the police officer who checked the box on the ticket. I have the feeling that the cop did it just to be an ass_ole... even though I was respectful.
  14. koozy

koozy Active Member

i see and no one noticed that, not even the referee?
  15. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

I did ask the referee, but he said somethings could not be 'checked' correctable. I asked him what happens after I go back to pay for it, he did not know. After he does his thing, he has no idea.
  16. koozy

koozy Active Member

frustrating. makes you wonder what's the point if it's "not correctable" and what circumstances warrants a "not correctable" instance.
  17. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

I think it is at the discretion of the officer writing the citation.
  18. koozy

koozy Active Member

e85 content analyzer installation.
    Part #1 - Plumbing

Plumbing parts referenced here are from Radium Engineering. I recommend getting all of the plumbing hardware from them, they were a pleasure doing business with. The ethanol content sensor GM #13577429 was sourced elsewhere.

Here are the parts from Radium.
    2 - #14-0144 3/8" SAE Female to -6AN Male fittings
    2 - #14-0144 5/16" SAE Female to -6AN Male fittings
    1 - 6.0 - ST - ST
    1 - 11.4 - ST - 90

I began by removing the fuel pump relay #13, located in the engine compartment fuse box. I then start the motor and let it run for approximately 40 seconds, until it died. This was to release the pressure and get most of the fuel out of the fuel line that will be removed. Not much pressure or fuel came out when the hose was removed.

Next, I removed the engine cover #1, the battery, battery box with ECU #2, and air inlet pipe #3.

The parts mentioned above removed.

The OEM fuel injection feed hose.

The OEM fuel injection feed hose removed using a fuel injection hose removal tool.

I assembled the Radium #14-0144 3/8" SAE Female to -6AN Male fittings onto each end of the ethanol content sensor, then assemble the straight ends of the Radium hoses to each end. Here's the OEM hose next to the Radium hose assembly. The Radium hose assembly with sensor attached is approximately 3" longer from end to end.

Next was to install the Radium #14-0144 5/16" SAE Female to -6AN Male to the factory hard lines.

At the top.

And at the bottom by the firewall.

The new hose assembly installed.

I re-used the OEM hose clip from the factory hose on the new assembly.

I replaced the parts removed earlier, the engine cover #1, the battery, battery box with ECU #2, and air inlet pipe #3. Then primed the fuel pump several times before actually allowing the car to start. Looked and smelled around for any possible fuel leaks. None found, so I started the car and let it run and checked some more before signing off on it.

To be continued... Part #2 - Wiring

Sneak peak of where the wiring will be going through the firewall.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
    Applejack likes this.
  19. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Well done, Koozy. Very clean install.

Now, I understand knowing what your ethanol % is when you fill up because of our crappy CA fuel. But what's the point?
    You physically have to sit there and change the tune when your sensor figures out what the % is of that tank fill.

When someone comes out with a tuner where it monitors the % and automatically adjusts, then I'm in.

Koozy, you once made the point that "your time is too valuable" or something along those lines. Would you or would you not say this statement is hypocritical of this type of tuning method based on your ethanol % (meaning, every time you fill your tank, you possibly would have to re-tune)? No dissing here. Just a conversation between to guys that like horsepower.

Again, very nice post above. Always have liked your work.
  20. koozy

koozy Active Member

Believe me, if I felt it was a pain in the ass I would not be doing it, but this to me is not once it's set up. I will have 5 maps through the Access Tuner Race software via the Accessport. I think this is what you may be missing in your equation? The scenario is I go fill up whatever mixture of e85/gas, look at the analyzer to tell me what the % is, switch to the appropriate map right there "on the fly" within seconds and be on my merry way until the next time I fill up. I don't and won't be constantly looking at the analyzer, as I don't expect it to constantly change.

Another reason is Cobb may in the future be able to take the signal from the ethanol sensor and use it with the Accessport making the car "flex fuel" like they currently have for the Skyline GTR and Subaru WRX. Then the Accessport maps will self tune with the maps that take into account for the ethanol content available and the end user won't have to manually switch maps anymore.

Please review the following links for a better understanding than I can try to explain.

razorlab's how-to configure multiple maps for ethanol, based on % in the tank

Cobb Overview on 5 - Way Map Switching
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    Applejack likes this.
  21. Applejack

Applejack Active Member

Koozy, thanks for the education. Did not know you could flash our vehicles on the fly while driving. I will watch if Cobb or some other manufacturer releases an ethanol sensing system for their tuner. I think this a far better / automatic solution to our piss poor fuel and HP wanting needs.

I have read razorlab's work before posting my first response to you. Great read and information. If I am going to put that much time / money into it, I want it to be automatic.

Anyways, thanks again for the great post / photos.