st vs 300c

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by 14st, Mar 15, 2014.

1. 14st

14st Member

Today I got a feel for how fast the car really is. I raced a 300c 5.7 and BARELY lost! I can't wait to upgrade it more when parts are available. It just has a milltek cat back system on it now

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. k757

k757 Active Member

4. 14st

14st Member

Is that bad?

5. k757

k757 Active Member

the ST has Civic Si speed (~15 sec 1/4 mi), which I think is not particularly fast when compared to all cars. Against small cars it'll surely dominate. The car's sweet spot is the handling.

[​IMG]

6. wash

wash Active Member

A few weeks ago I was driving on the freeway with my cruise control on and I hit a slow section of traffic. Not wanting to slow down I changed lanes trying to thread the needle. In the process it looked like I was trying to pass a Ferarri 458 and the driver didn't like that.

He hit the gas and I hit the gas thinking "this will be fun". I didn't shift down from sixth gear. The Ferrari pulled on me but not as much as you would think.

If I had another 100hp, I think the Ferrari would have had a hard time pulling anything.

The Ferrari is fast in a straight line and fast in the corners but it costs about 10x a Fiesta ST. A 300C is kind of fast in a straight line if it has the hemi but that's all it is, a ~luxury car that's fast in a straight line.

We have gotten to a point where nearly every newish car on the road has acceleration as fast as a 1980s "sports car" but at the same time most cars are heavy, bloated and tuned for comfort more than handling.

The Fiesta ST is a nice exception, its acceleration is sporty, its handling is sports car and its not bloated except compared to a Miata, Lotus or some other exotic with very limited practicality.

A 300c can beat you in a straight line but a Fiesta ST would destroy it on an autocross and any race track with more turns than a banked oval.

7. Gpfarrell

Gpfarrell Member

My ST is more fun than my faster cars. Straight line speed has become a cheap commodity. We're living in good times! To me, involvement is much more valuable than surplus acceleration... That's why I bought this "puppy with a turbo"!

stuntdoogie likes this.