Stage 1 1/2

Discussion in 'COBB Tuning' started by Bahkaboy, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Bahkaboy

Bahkaboy Member

Thanks razorlab. I went back to stage one. I don't know what the deal was yesterday with my sensors. I'm guessing that after I ran stage 2 and the ecu went back into learn mode I wasn't getting either accurate readings or something. I really appreciate your help. After feeling the gains from stage 2 I guess it's time to buy an intercooler. I wish cobb would hurry up with the release of their cai because the injen intake I have sounds really bad and it feels like I lose power on the butt dyno. I'm new at this so please excuse my ignorance.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Bahkaboy

Bahkaboy Member

Thanks as well BRGT350

4. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

CAI doesn't do much on stock turbo. Put the money towards a FMIC if you are worried about consistent performance.

Dyn085 and Bahkaboy like this.
  5. Bahkaboy

Bahkaboy Member

Going to order one this week. My only worry is that a bigger FMIC would tell the dealership to dig a little deeper if I had a drive train problem. I guess I could always take it off and go back to a factory tune if there was a serious problem. Your thoughts?

6. Bahkaboy

Bahkaboy Member

Do you think stage 2 could be run with the larger FMIC and panel filter or would I need a custom tune? I've heard that the stock cai is capable of much greater hp than the stock motor produces.

7. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

The intercooler would have to be the cause of the problem for their to be a warranty problem. I would be way more afraid of running a stage 2 map with nothing more than an Injen intake. The more research I do, the less and less I like the open element filters in the engine compartments of turbocharged engines. I would put the stock airbox in place with a drop in filter.

8. Bahkaboy

Bahkaboy Member

I went back to stage 1 and removed the injen cai. I can't stand how loud that thing is. Wouldn't the dealership assume there was a tune if they saw the larger intercooler?

9. bobjob

bobjob Active Member

doubt they would even notice unless they were looking really hard

10. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

considering my 2011 Fiesta was mistaken a few times at a dealer for being an ST, I would give them props for noticing the intercooler swapped.

Mr UFO likes this.
  11. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

Yes you should see no issues with Stage 2 tune and just a FMIC. I run more power than even Stage 3 and all my FiST has is a FMIC upgrade.

12. Bahkaboy

Bahkaboy Member

I uninstalled my app and reinstalled with the stage one to see if maybe something was fishy like how some people are showing massive boost gains that aren't really there and now I'm getting those high temperature readings. 75 degrees ambient here with heavy rain and running through a drive through my temp went up to 109. I've never had that happen. I'm confused. Accessport issue? Sensor issue? Or is it now reading correctly?

13. Bahkaboy

Bahkaboy Member

I sold cars for years and have seen similar things. 4x2 traded in and was given the value of a 4x4. Wrx traded in as an sti. Good point.

14. Bahkaboy

Bahkaboy Member

I miss the old days! Adjusting carbs, changing cams, and tuning by ear.

15. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

Ha, BRGt350, a newer tech at my dealer thought my ST was an SE/SES!

Mr UFO likes this.
  16. Bahkaboy

Bahkaboy Member

I'm going to order the FMIC on monday. Is the stock plumbing decent or is the upgrade a must in your opinion?

17. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

Works just fine.

18. Bahkaboy

Bahkaboy Member

Do you do custom tunes for others or just your rides?

19. bobjob

bobjob Active Member

From what most of the more experienced modders in the forums have said (not gonna name names), it seems unless you upgrade the turbo, the stock plumbing is fine. Most people who get it its for looks or just because.

20. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I did a dyno run when I first got the E40 tune from Randy and my charge temp hit 143' on the 4th gear pull. It went from 88' to 143' in the 13 second 4th gear pull. And yes, we had a blower pushing LOTS of air at the FMIC. An upgraded FMIC is definitely on my wishlist now.

21. Bahkaboy

Bahkaboy Member

Cobb? Or another fmic?