Still no track pads for the FiST? WTF people!

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chassis Upgrades' started by CrookedRacer, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Pedro

Pedro Active Member

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. meFiSTo

meFiSTo Active Member

Got my Carbotech XP8s through Nick at KNS. Easy to work with. Carbotech builds to order, so there is a slight delay.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Cool I went with their AX pads and will see how they go spring of next year let us know how those XP8's work and feel :)
  5. meFiSTo

meFiSTo Active Member

I will. I ran XP10s and then XP8s on my Powerworks SC'd Focus SVT with good results. They are more "progressive" than some competition pads (at least that's what I hear). I did experience that "progressive" feeling in my prior application (ie., the initial bite was not as stout as you might expect). But they held up well over the course of multiple track days. They did not fade (coupled with Castrol SRF and teflon/SS sheathed brake lines). Hard to imagine they'll behave much different (with a similarly weighted and powered FWD car, having the same other mods, even with our slightly smaller front calipers/pads).

Because I only plan to do a handful of events per year, they probably will get swapped with street pads after/before each event, so I'll get a good look at the results. I've heard that the AX6 pads are better for autocross. I only do lapping days on the big courses, so I think the XPs are a better match for that.
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    RodMoe likes this.
  6. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

Does anyone have picture of the stock pads to compare with the Hawks?
  7. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Has anyone tried the Porterfield R4S yet? I’ve had good luck with this pad on both my ’99 Miata and ’07 Solstice, they stop great, have long life and most importantly don’t dust too much.
  8. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Yes I have a set of R4S on the fronts and am happy with them as for the rears well I liked them the week that they lasted .. One weekend at Road America and the rears were toast down to the backer kinda toasted.. My bad for taking a street pad to that track known to be hard on brakes anyways so not a Mfg issue just a end used issue lol
  9. TRev

TRev Member

Got the Hawk pads in last night. So far they are exactly what I was hoping for. Much better initial brake modulation vs that OEM grabby feeling.
  10. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Does anyone have experience with the ferodo ds2500 pads?

How important is it that front and rear pads be the same material?

I like the price of the hawk street race pads vs carbotech xp8. Unfortunately I dont see anyone offering a complete set of either. Would it be a big deal to run stock on the rears?
  11. TRev

TRev Member

I ran the Ferodo DS2500 on my BRZ. I liked them though I think the Hawk has a better bite when cold.

I plan to run stock rears on the FiST and have done so on other platforms successfully. So far, I haven't noticed any concerns.

The Hawk looks to be less expensive and they offer contingency which helped me get a free set of fronts for both the FiST and the FoST. That helped make my choice easier.
  12. Mightymango

What Trevor said, you can run different compounds on it, front to rear. I'll be running the stock rears as well.
  13. Golfguy11800

Golfguy11800 Member

I echo the points made on the CarboTech's

I have the RP2's F/R installed. Definitely more progressive than the stock pad. However, have not had a big chance yet to test them out.

I think it took about a month from "buy" to doorstep for the Carbotech's.
  14. CrookedRacer

Thanks, everyone! I'm going to get a set of the Hawk Street Race for the fronts, and see how they do in March at VIR. Plus I'll pick up a backup set of OEM's to have on hand from now on.

I just posted a writeup about my unfortunate experience at Summit Point Raceway Main Circuit last November. All I'm saying is it could have been way worse.

There are pictures of brake pad carnage and a video of my "off". It's not pretty, but I'm not too proud to share if it helps someone else avoid what happened to me.

WARNING: John.0 features videos from the internet and is intended for a gentle audience. John.0 does not condone the activities performed and discourages anyone from attempting and/or ridiculing them. Enjoy!
  15. Mightymango

Glad you didn't get hurt John.
  16. TRev

TRev Member

Yes, glad you had the off where it was exciting but not harmful!

In my FoST, I had the OEM pads smoking after a handful of practice autox runs with only a little cool down time in cool weather so I switched to the Hawk HPS. Those held up well until the Solo Trials the Saturday after Nationals. After three laps with almost no cool down, I pulled into the pits and was told to drive because my pads were on fire. After talking to Hawk they suggested their new Street Race pad. I decided to do this as a first step on the FiST to avoid any concerns. After seeing your post, it reaffirms that decision!
  17. CrookedRacer

Let me clarify, I don't blame this on my pads, I blame myself for driving them as long as I did.

Loud grinding is not a normal noise that hot brakes make. I must have convinced myself that it was.

Putting in my order today!
  18. TRev

TRev Member

This is what my OEM FoST pads looked like after a few events and a few thousand miles much of which was highway.

This was the worst but all the front pads were starting to do this.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  19. Golfguy11800

Golfguy11800 Member

I was so upset at the stock brake pads that Ford put in the FiST that I wrote a nasty letter to Ford and their engineering department.

Do yourself a favor and buy endurance race pads. All my cars that go fast have them. I used them for commuting, hard private street driving, and track driving. They are squeely AF, but the "annoying" noise lets me know I've got some tough brakes on the car.

Incredible that the piston went through the pad backing plate. Incredible.

Spend the extra money on CarboTech's, fluid, and ducting (if need be).
  20. CrookedRacer

So I have the following on order: a front set of hawk DTC-60's, a front set of the new "street race" compound (not HPS), a rear set of hawk blues, and an extra front set of OEMs just for insurance. I have two unopened bottles of motul from last year, and a spare set of front rotors. I think I'll make it through my first HPDE.

I think I will start with the street race in the fronts, oem in the rears. Then maybe make some changes halfway through the first weekend, just to get some experience with the different compounds.

Has anyone installed ducts? I have some ideas, but I'd actually rather buy a proven kit if anyone makes one.
  21. Golfguy11800

Golfguy11800 Member

I can list an article on how I went about installing. I need to redo them since my design will only work for track racing (those who don't drive on rough roads or get airbourne).
    CrookedRacer likes this.