Supercooled water demonstration

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by spangenb, Jan 7, 2014.

1. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Minimal FiST content, but I got to do a science experiment this morning:
    jimlau likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Max Archer

Max Archer Member

Wow, that's actually really cool.

It's been endless spring/summer weather here in SoCal, nothing even close to that. Nice for the moment but it's gonna suck when we can't wash our cars or water our lawns next summer...
  4. wash

wash Active Member

What brand of water is that?

It must be very pure.
  5. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

That's not just cool.
    It's cold.

Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.

6. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Giant Eagle water ... a local grocery chain. Yeah I have had this happen a few times in my lifetime. It takes quite a prefect storm of conditions. This particular bottle has thawed and re-flash-frozen several times. I finally managed to get it on video :)
  7. wash

wash Active Member

This reminds me of a story I heard about making clear ice for ice sculptors, they freeze a block from the outside in and they replace the center water while it is freezing because when water freezes it pushes the impurities out of the crystal in to the remaining liquid and when that liquid is replaced the impurities go away with the old water.

That might be a good way to make water that displays the supercooled fluid effects.
  8. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I had that happen with a bottle of iced tea. It doesn't have to be pure water, just has to be at the exact temperature necessary to freeze depending on the specific gravity of the liquid. The iced tea froze in the bottle just as I took the cap off, probably due to the jostling that occurred when I broke the safety seal on the cap. I thought at the time that the bottle was somehow pressurized and that kept it from freezing, but I'm sure now it was temperature based, just like these experiments demonstrate.