Suspension Vibration Damper box.. What is it?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chassis Upgrades' started by chalituna, May 21, 2014.

1. chalituna

chalituna Member

Anyone know what this grey box is? I'm installing the Bilstein coilovers right now but there aren't any mounting bracket for that box to bolt on to. I did some research and it seems to be missing on the BC Coilovers as well.

It's called 'suspension vibration damper' with part number 3c156 & 3c157. Wonder if it's really important to have that on...

Thanks in advance.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. How much does it weigh? I'm guessing it's there to lower the frequency of some sort of suspension resonance. I wonder if they couldn't find a more expensive vendor to make it, other than one in Sweden.
  4. chalituna

chalituna Member

It's only about 2 lbs max. I don't think it does much and probably only work with the stock shocks anyway. I installed my coilovers without those and I don't see any problems
  5. I would like to hear how it works out down the road. I know that my stock suspension will get a little spooky on a certain section of local new interstate. It feels like the tires are chattering even when going straight down this section of highway. Fortunately this is only about an 1/8 of mile out of 70 or 80 miles of Interstate.
  6. The Duke

The Duke Member

All it takes is a simple mass change to adjust the resonance frequency. You'd be surprised what little changes are needed to make a big affect, especially when you take into account moments, etc.

If it's a dead weight I'd guess Methane Herder is correct. Hell, for all I know it could be there to absorb some vibrations to clean up the signals for the ABS/Torque sensors.
  7. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

A number of people on this site have changed to coilovers and these dampers have been removed.
    I have seen nothing posted about any ill effects.

8. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

If it's anything like the vibration dampeners on my Corvair convertible it's probably full of oil and lead weights.
  9. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

If you really had a Corvair, you'd have been killed by it. Everybody knows that. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  10. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I've driven it at speeds up to 115 and haven't found an unsafe one yet!
  11. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I do believe that the dampers may be to isolate tire noise.
    After removing mine, tire noise is the only thing I notice more of now.

iLiptiKal likes this.