Switching Gears

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by mcummings182, Oct 28, 2013.

1. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

Well, the reason it's geared short is for power. If you increase the ratio of the gear, it will pull to a higher speed, but it will put more load on the engine to do so. The end result may not be any faster, it will just let you shift later.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

(if you floor it in first, you'll see it gets you up to speed pretty quickly).

4. amathophobia

amathophobia Member

1st isn't any less powerful than second. It is just short. 2nd is more fun because it is still a low ratio but you get a longer amount of time to feel it pull. Performance oriented hondas are the geared the same way. 1st gear is just long enough to get you going so that you can start really moving with second.

5. totusPorcus

totusPorcus Member

interesting about the shifting. i used to own a honda CRX HF (high fuel). the car was geared ridiculously high. if the engine could have turned the 5th gear at redline it would have done 200mph. but it only had 65 hp. with a ground control suspension it was like a go-kart once it started to roll.

the crx had a 'shift-light' which advised one when to shift to achieve best fuel economy. and it would reach almost 50mpg sometimes. what i find interesting is the ST has the same sort of thing and if you use it you shift very early. while its fun to wind the car out and kick the turbo in, for me around town its been interesting to use this shift light and try to drive the car like my old HF. the car has a ton of torque down low and responds well to short shifting. i sometimes skip 2 and 3 gears around town.

6. mcummings182

mcummings182 Member

I've been skipping a gear or so here and there and noticed it is definitely making it faster and more fun for me to drive now.

7. drop360

drop360 New Member

If you are going faster by skipping gears, then your problem is with your driving and not the car. I would suggest you continue to learn how to drive standard. Don't create bad habits this early on, or you'll never get very good at it.

8. totusPorcus

totusPorcus Member

you skip gears (short shift) to keep revs down to save gas. its an interesting technique but has nothing to do with going fast. its a hyper-miling thing. sometimes its fun to hyper-mile around town. sometimes its fun to go fast. to go fast you need to work all of the gears. (go quick i should say).

9. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

I agree with this. Skipping gears doesn't hurt anything if you are accelerating quickly to the speed limit and reach it by 2nd or 3rd gear you can switch right over to 4th or 5th (if you don't want to go any faster than the speed you're at, there's no point in shifting into those other gears), but if you're accelerating faster while skipping gears you're doing it wrong somehow... You'd accelerate faster if you shifted in order. I'd be kinda curious to see how you actually are driving and shifting just because it's so hard to tell you what you're doing wrong when we have no idea what it is you're doing wrong.

I found this video on fast acceleration and quick shifting. I think it gives an idea of how to accelerate fast and shift. Although what he calls power shifting, I'd skip doing. I always let off the gas when pushing the clutch pedal. It only takes a split second if accelerating fast. You let off the gas as you're pushing in the clutch pedal, shift quickly, then let off the clutch as you go back on the gas. For fastest accelerations it's gas pedal to the floor. Notice he shifts 1-2-3-4.