SYNC: astounding stupidity! Caution, rant ahead...

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by reddog99, Oct 4, 2013.

1. DirtyBlueshirt

DirtyBlueshirt Active Member

Hey Dave, welcome back ;)
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Yes, and thank you for ending my AT&T caused forced hiatus.

4. marmacman

marmacman New Member

Actually, a 64 character password is kinda ridiculous as per a test completed by tomshardware in 2011.
    "Fortunately, math is our friend (seriously, it is). If you use the full ASCII character set, then your password strength is 94(password length), because every additional character makes a password 94 times more secure. By adding a few extra characters to your password, you're making it "computationally infeasible" for hackers to attempt a brute-force attack. If 7 298 831 534 994 528 possible combinations (in a one- to nine-character password) isn’t enough to make you comfortable, use a 10-character password, and give any hacker 699 823 827 359 474 784 combinations to try.

Based on our testing, you probably could hit a little over 3 million passwords per second against AES encryption using a pair of Radeon HD 6990s. That means it'd take 7397 years to perform a search of passwords from one to 10 characters long using AMD's Stream acceleration. Even if you could double your speed from there, it wouldn't be much help. To get under one year, you'd have to scale your efforts to 7397 machines working full-time."
  5. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Actually, "ridiculous" is the goal! Making passwords that are easier to crack would defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

And since Toms Hardware tests in 2011, new techniques have been developed using lists of millions of actual passwords that allow those previous "brute force" cracking time estimates to be reduced dramatically. The long password crack is no longer, "computationally infeasible". It can be done in minutes using the "dictionary" techniques by using the lists of previously leaked passwords.

I don't profess to be an expert on the subject, but I like to keep abreast of the technology, and it's naive to think that the cracking technology is standing still, when the incentive value is so high. What was impossible yesterday is easily attainable today. Just look at the mobile phone you probably have in your pocket...
  6. FordIVTteam

FordIVTteam Official Ford Representative

You're right; that is strange. You may want to give the master reset a shot: It will erase any settings you have saved, but it should get everything working smoothly again.

7. DirtyBlueshirt

Most of my passwords include* past license plates of mine. Relatively easy to remember and a great source of random characters making it pretty much impossible for dictionary attacks.

*note: I said "include" since the passwords do have more characters added to increase complexity and the obvious effort of people trying my license plate number when I mention this.
  8. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I suspect that the voice commands have a separate volume setting, either through the settings menu or by simply adjusting the volume knob when the sync lady is talking.
  9. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

For sites like this, I use a simple password that is easy to remember and use it on most of the sites where there is no financial incentive to crack it.

But for a bank, or any site that has my credit card number, I've given up on trying to remember a "good" long password. I review the sites password limits as to length and characters allowed and use a program to randomly generate the longest word possible (I haven't seen any site that I use allow more than 22 characters). I then save this using a password manager that allows copy & paste, so it's just as easy to use a long password as a short one. Here's a good article on password managers for reference:,2817,2381432,00.asp
  10. DirtyBlueshirt

This is correct. When you activate the Sync system, while it's talking or waiting for you rot speak, you can adjust the volume. I will check, but I think there's also a setting in the MFT menus.
  11. FordIVTteam

Hi DirtyBlueshirt,

To control the volume through the system, press the SETTINGS quadrant > SETTINGS > VOICE CONTROL > VOICE CONTROL VOLUME. This will allow you to adjust the volume of the SYNC lady's voice (Samantha). ;)

12. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Mayhem, it has been my experience that radio volume, voice prompt volume, and in-call volume are all independent. If you turn the volume knob while a voice prompt is active then you will adjust the voice prompt volume. Same for adjusting volume while in a call. It will save those volumes for the next time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  13. Removed

Removed Guest

Sometimes MFT won't recognize the address book fields correctly from my iPhone, and depending on what mood it's in, I have to specify either cell or other for anything tagged 'iPhone'.

Text message syncing works sporadically.

And last but not least, 'Advanced Mode' should disable all nags/prompts, but all it does is get rid of the one when you press the listen button.
  14. FordIVTteam

Hi cinderbike,

It sounds like you do have your phonebook downloaded already. If that's the case, what happens when you try to call a specific contact? Does the MyFord Touch system not understand you at all?

Make sure you're following these steps in order for text messaging to work properly: A soft reset to your iPhone should also improve your connection. Just hold the POWER and HOME buttons until the Apple logo appears. When the phone turns on again, it will automatically connect to the MyFord Touch system.

Since you already have advanced mode turned on, press the VOICE COMMAND button on the steering wheel and say VOICE SETTINGS, then CONFIRMATION PROMPTS OFF. This will cause your system to make a best guess instead of confirming every command. You may still occasionally hear confirmation questions.

15. Removed

Removed Guest

Hi Kim,

I do have it synced and imported. The problem is MFT sometimes reads the 'iPhone' contact as a cell, and other times as an other... And it seems to be random.

Rebooting the phone gets text messaging to work for a few hours but invariably it stops working and I have to do it all over again.

Turning off confirmation prompts helps, but what I'd prefer is a mode past advanced (perhaps rename advanced intermediate) that has no nagging, prompts, etc. At all like the early 1.x version did. Just the sounds it plays when it has correctly/incorrectly understood you, nothing else.

For example, when the system doesn't understand a command I have to listen to a spiel that goes something like 'Sorry. Try saying a command.." And it really zslows me down because I either have to wait for her to stop talking or cancel out and start over.
    LotusZX3 likes this.
  16. FordIVTteam

There isn't any troubleshooting I can recommend on the MyFord Touch side for iPhone contact issue; however, altering the phonebook may resolve this concern. I recommend paying attention to which contacts are giving you trouble, then check to see what the phone number is listed as (cell, home, other etc.). See if contacts with multiple phone numbers listed are the only ones that you're noticing this happening with. Basically, we need to determine what the common factor is between these contacts. Let me know what you find.

Have you tried deleting SYNC from the phone and re-pairing it to the MyFord Touch system to resolve the text messaging concern? If not, I suggest doing that as your next troubleshooting step. Check out the Bluetooth connection troubleshooting tips here: The link to the master reset on that page isn't working correctly at this time. If you get to this point, the master reset is done by pressing: SETTINGS > SETTINGS > SYSTEM > MASTER RESET.

Currently, it sounds like you have the correct settings to hear the least amount of feedback from Samantha (the voice of SYNC). ;) Feel free to post your suggestion here:

Also, keep in mind that you can press the VOICE COMMAND button to interrupt Samantha when she says something like TRY SAYING A COMMAND. Once you hear the beep, it means she's listening for a command.

LotusZX3 likes this.
  17. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

Can't text via MFT using iPhone 4gs.. Is it compatible??
  18. FordIVTteam

19. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

20. LuvfiestaST

LuvfiestaST Active Member

I'll give it a try
  21. ohskigod

ohskigod Member

Our cars connect to the internet? Lol. Who knew? #illbedrivingifanyoneneedsme