Test drove a Fiesta ST yesterday and....

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by FORDTOUGH, May 9, 2014.

1. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

Maybe try one without the Recaros?

BlackBird likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

Always an option! My non Recaros ate pretty comfy...

Sent by my GS4 via Tapatalk.

SpaceFish likes this.
  4. FORDTOUGH

FORDTOUGH Member

I've got a pretty go idea of what the non Recaros offer. My 2010 Fusion SE has cloth seats and they are fine by me and i'm pretty sure they are the same cloth seats the Fiesta would offer.

5. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

The first time I rode in the Recaros for more than a couple of hours, they DID become uncomfortable. I'm only 5'6" but the side bolsters started digging into my ribs... but when I drove 8 to 10 hours a day in them last week (on the way to the STOA) I had no problems at all. I don't know if they've broken in to me, or if I've broken in to them, but they are comfy as all get out now....

Neely2005 likes this.
  6. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

I have driven both a base model Fiesta ST (only up priced option was green paint) and a fully optioned out one. The only difference in feel is the seats and I personally think the Recaro seats make it a better car. Other than that, the other options that add up the price are for looks and functionality. If you don't think the seats make it better, you don't want a moonroof, painted wheels, or nav, then buy a base model ST for the $21K and you're still getting more standard features than a base model Focus ST1 at a price difference of $2975 less than the Focus. Even with your opinion of the interior being of less quality, that's still a much better deal. You're still trying to compare an optioned out Fiesta to a base Focus... Personally if I was in the market for either or, I'd check out the price of both cars with the same options on each and I guarantee the price of the Focus will be more. Options are just that, optional... If you don't want them and don't want to pay for them, you don't have to. Some people, strangely enough, do want these options and are willing to pay the price for them as overpriced as you think they may be. If you want a base no frills Fiesta ST, find one on a lot and drive it. And since you're comparing it to the base Focus ST, drive that as well.

Neely2005 and BlackBird like this.
  7. ohskigod

ohskigod Member

Anytime you take a car based on an economy model and load every option, it's going to seem overpriced for what the car is depending on how much you want the options. I never get fully loaded unless I really like every option. I won't shy away from things I like though, I paid for the sunroof and molten orange paint.

Similar to a Evo, one can pay 40+ For a car with a barely 20k interior, and yet people do it......especially when they drive it

If your arms are shorter, I can see the shifter beig a little low, but I'd imagine touching the touchscreen would be even more annoying

8. LT Berzerker

LT Berzerker Active Member

Test drove both... Even though the focus was a great drive, felt similar to the fiesta (obviously turbo 4 w/ a 6spd). I like having an open feel cabin for daily driving the FiST gives me. The focus for being a larger car feels cramped up front by comparison (personally).

I came from a two for SVTF and honestly the older gen 1 focus is about the same size as the current fiesta (least feels that way), just a smaller rearend and less storage space. Deceivingly for some reason cause the specs are kinda showing the SVTF sits in the middle...

FoST
    wheel base: 104.3"
    length: 171.4
    max storage: 44.8 ft³
    weight: 3223 lbs

SVTF 5 door
    2750 (depending on source)

FiST

I think the FiST is more of a successor to the SVTF than the FoST considering power, suspension weight etc... or at best the SVTF evolved in two separate directions bigger with bettered suspension (rear specifically) into the FoST, and smaller with more refinement of the preexisting suspension platform FiST.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    BlackBird likes this.
  9. Gpfarrell

Gpfarrell Member

If you're really looking for a luxurious interior, more space, comfort, and a low price... might I suggest a 2007 Lincoln Town Car?

SpaceFish, Neely2005 and timboslice like this.
  10. FORDTOUGH

FORDTOUGH Member

I think you completely missed my point. All I'm saying is I've sat in other cars that garnered a 26k dollar price tag, including the one I own now and it felt like a 26k dollar car. When I sat in the fiesta st it felt cheap. I'm sorry that but if I'm gonna shell out 26k dollars for a car I want 26k dollars of quality. The car is great performance wise don't get me wrong but I feel as if your paying extra because of the fact its an ST.

11. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

Well...yes. It's a low-production, niche performance model. If COURSE you're paying extra because it's an ST.

And the car starts at 21k, largely the same as the one you drove. Minus the Recaros, Nav, and Sunroof. Maybe that price point is more in line with your expectations?

12. Gpfarrell

Gpfarrell Member

Nah, I don't think I missed your point. Fun (speed) costs money. So does luxury. I believe you've owned $26,000 cars before but I don't believe they were as much fun as this one. This little fellow hits way above his weight class in fun-to-drive. That's the reason to buy it. If fun to drive doesn't matter, than the 2007 Town Car will save you a fortune. :)

I can't tell you fun is more important to you. I have no idea what's important to you, but that's what you should buy. I wasn't even looking for a car and I got an ST because its absurdly fun without being irrational, expensive, or impractical. But that's just me.

iLiptiKal and Neely2005 like this.
  13. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

As you add options to any car, the value proposition gets worse. Even when you sit in a car whose options add 50% to the base price, you'll still be able to see the base car underneath. In this case, that base car is an economy sub-compact hatchback. If that doesn't work for you, that doesn't mean something is wrong with you or the car, it's just not for you.

14. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

my buddy and I who has a Focus ST had no problem doing 9 hours to and from Utah to LA and back

but why are you optioning the car to $26000, opting not to get the recaros saves you 2k right there.
    Get a base FiST; IMO I like the FiST for ease of service; there's 3x as much crap to assemble/reassemble on a focus st than a fiesta, like that literally useless active shutter thing...

I think you're missing the point, nobody loads up the car with every option with a FiST; you're not buying an F-150 king ranch, the options are not what sell the car.

I got out the door at around $23000+tax for mine with Recaros and Nav, no other options and I am satisfied with that. A Focus was just too damn big for me. I got rid of my V70R for a reason, I like the ease of a smaller car.

BlackBird and mongoose221 like this.
  15. FORDTOUGH

FORDTOUGH Member

I've shopped around. I've even had my dealer try to track down some that I hoped would be in my price range. When i talked to them i told them i didn't have to have the Recaros but i wanted a sunroof. The best he could come up with was one that was still over 24k with no Recaros just the sunroof. i'm not one that needs leather seats and a ton of bells and whistles. I could do without climate control and MFT(which is terrible by the way). However I was just not impressed by the quality in the fully loaded FiST. As i test drove the car there was a very noticable creak in the dashboard. I'm sorry but something like that is completely unacceptable in a car that has 150 miles on it and has a 26k price tag attached to it. If i'm gonna get that kind of quality in a car that's brand new i'll just wait until used ones start to show ujp.

16. BlueBomber

BlueBomber Active Member

Find one willing to deal, 24k is absurd for an ST WITHOUT the recaro package. Talk about markup. You should be at 22k without Recaros.

you can't skip climate control or MFT- you don't get that choice. you can get the SONY head unit.

IMO the fit and finish is just as good as the 99 Volvo V70R I got rid of to get the Fiesta ST. Are my seats diamond stitched black suede on black leather outers? that fucking car creaked like no tomorrow.

so.... what else in the 20-24k range is comparable, as I found nothing and continue to find nothing

iLiptiKal and mongoose221 like this.
  17. FORDTOUGH

FORDTOUGH Member

Well it would have been a dealer transfer so of course they were willing to play the "well we gotta pay some to go get it and pay for fuel" card.

18. mongoose221

mongoose221 Member

Troll.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Gpfarrell likes this.
  19. FORDTOUGH

FORDTOUGH Member

Maybe you should look up the definition of a troll. I'm the one who opened this thread.

20. mongoose221

mongoose221 Member

Maybe I've read the entire thread and all I got out of out was that you came into a fiesta st owner's forum doing nothing but talking about how YOU think the vehicle is overpriced/not good quality/unimpressive for the $$ to the exact people who bought the car... I think that's the exact definition of a troll.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

21. iLiptiKal

iLiptiKal Active Member

I agree wholeheartedly with you. There is nothing that comes close to the ST in performance and features for the money. Before deciding on my ST I drove a number of other cars at the $20-30k price range (CAD) and didn't fall in love with anything. When I took the ST out it was everything I was looking for handling and power wise, and ended up being at the low end of my budget due to x-plan price and not getting the sunroof (didn't want the extra weight, and don't like how it's set back in the roof).

Yes, there are other cars with a fancier and nicer interior, and lots of cars out there with more power; But that's not why I bought my ST. It's a small efficient car that you can drive every day like a normal person, it has good tech inside with MFT, and when you want to have some fun it has a great power plant and handling to do that too.