Test drove a Fiesta ST yesterday and....

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by FORDTOUGH, May 9, 2014.

1. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

But the question you have yet to answer is...is the lack of quality ok at $21-$22K? You keep saying it's a 26K car, and the one you saw with your own eyes did cost that much because of the options, but the options do not make the car, they supplement it... Think of it as a $21K car with $5k in optional options. With zero options (or only the moonroof since you say you want it), would the car be worth the price then?

You know you can order a car exactly how you want it right? You don't have to buy a car off the lot. The biggest issue with that is obviously wait time. Or do your own searching around and see if you can find a car at another dealer that fits what you want. If you let the dealer search for you the ball is in their court.

I just test drove an ST with only moonroof, nav, and green paint. It did not drive any different than the ST I drove fully optioned out at $26k and orange paint...nor did the black car with recaros, moonroof, and silver wheels...or the green one with zero options...or the silver one with recaros, moonroof, and silver wheels. I have driven 7 STs in total since September. The only difference in driving feel was the Recaros, and they are great. If you don't like them or don't want to pay for them, the standard seats really aren't terrible and I wasn't overly feeling "man, I'd rather be sitting in Recaros now" because I was just having fun driving the ST. Yes, when I buy my own ST it will have the Recaros and I'm fine with the price hike.

So in closing, if you think $21k is too much for the Fiesta ST, then the Fiesta ST is not for you. It is the same car at $21k as it is at $26k. It does not have a different engine, suspension, transmission, or interior quality. If you think $21-$22K is about right for the quality then try and find a base model or order one exactly as you want it. Shoot, that green one with no options I drove awhile back is still on the lot and it's now listed at $20,995. You can find deals out there, you just need to put in a little legwork to make it happen.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

Guys, you can bring a horse to water, but cannot make it drink.

4. MasterPooBaa

MasterPooBaa Member

Or:
    I'm buying a performance hot hatch for under $30K drive away (Australian).
    I am not expecting Bavarian cow hide, hand crafted leather seats that vibrate, polished walnut dash fascia with 4 zone climate control. :) The money is in the performance.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    Firesail likes this.
  5. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I always expect polished walnut and rich Corinthian leather. How am I expected to enjoy the car without it?

6. mongoose221

mongoose221 Member

"Corinthian leather"... aka chrysler pleather

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

7. sumo64c

sumo64c Member

Other than the new mini cooper S, there aren't any subcompact hatchbacks in the market that compare directly to the FiST, the mini S is $2000 more from the start as well. For a starting price of $21400 and what it offers for the fun/performance/fuel efficiency, this car can't be beat.

8. Zormecteon

Zormecteon Active Member

Simply put, the car is NOT for everyone.

Firesail likes this.
  9. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I agree. So far, I've seen the FiST compared to:
    Mini Cooper S
    Fiat abarth
    Focus ST
    Wrx
    Veloster turbo
    Genesis coupe
    Mustang
    E36 M3
    Mazda Speed3
    S2000
    Mitsu Evo
    Vw GTI
    Civic Si

The FiST keeps good company, but is cheaper than all of these.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    iLiptiKal likes this.
  10. Gpfarrell

Gpfarrell Member

My little guy parks next to a car from Bavaria in our garage. Don't be too quick to assume the Bavarian quality is superior! The little guy is a great package. The OP evidently feels he should get more for his money than we were all happy to get for our money. I wish him luck finding it, especially if he's in the market for fun-to-drive!

11. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

While I wont call the OP a troll, I do question why he is still here when he has stated that the ST doesn't meet his quality standards for the price? What car does? Is that car half as fun to drive? Do you car about how it handles? You have every right to your opinion, but tell us what you really want in a car at this price point.

Neely2005 likes this.
  12. Neely2005

Neely2005 Member

What about the Fiat 500 Abarth?

13. FORDTOUGH

FORDTOUGH Member

I've admitted the car is a blast to drive there's no question about that. I guess I'll break it down more. I have a buddy who owns a focus st2 he paid 28k for it no trade or anything. A focus is supposed to be a step up from the fiesta. I can tell you the focus has a more quality feel to it, however no where near as fun to drive that's why I gravitated toward the fiesta. My point is this the focus is the sister to the fiesta I guess it just bothers me I'd be shelling out the same amount of money after taxes and other fees.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

14. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Spending less money is an option, the FiST starts at $21,400 and ford is offering $1000 cash back on the Fiesta right now.

15. FORDTOUGH

FORDTOUGH Member

Trust me I've had my dealer track one down it had cloth seats and a sunroof it was 24k. He low balled me on my trade I eventually talked him into giving me what I owe on it but in the end I just owe to much still. I'm not willing to get nothing in return for a car I've taken good care of its not worth it to me so I walked.

16. mongoose221

mongoose221 Member

And I can tell you I didn't find much difference if any in the interior quality.
    The focus isn't supposed to be a "step up" it's an entirely different vehicle, tuned completely different, and with a completely different suspension and steering setup.
    You need to get past the comparo of price between fiesta and focus st.
    They are different vehicles with different goals for different people.
    Almost all of us a our choice between the two and CHOSE not settled for the fiesta.

17. FORDTOUGH

FORDTOUGH Member

The only thing I like about the focus better is it's interior. I think the fiesta is by far the better looking car.

Firesail and mongoose221 like this.
  18. mongoose221

mongoose221 Member

Aesthetics are definitely subjective, I didn't see a QUALITY difference interior wise other than the focus having a sub on the upper tier sound system

19. FORDTOUGH

FORDTOUGH Member

To be honest with you I think the sound system is sub par in the focus, sad to say I think my 2010 fusion has a better sounding system.

mongoose221 likes this.
  20. mongoose221

mongoose221 Member

Let me clarify: I concur on it being subpar, was merely pointing out the built in sub box in the focus, making it easier to upgrade while not taking up space/fabbing a box, vs the fiesta where there is no factor sub box built in

21. FORDTOUGH

FORDTOUGH Member

Yeah room is a big factor in the fiesta, I'm not even sure you could fit golf clubs in that boot.