Test drove a veloster turbo today.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by amathophobia, Sep 5, 2013.

1. amathophobia

amathophobia Member

.....and it was extremely underwhelming. I chose to drive this car because if you look at size, price, weight, and HP/tq numbers it is the closest to a fiesta st out of anything out there. It rode much softer than my Prelude Si (with 170k miles on it) and though steering was sharp I wouldn't call it nimble. Here is the worst part: you cannot feel the turbo until 3000 rpm and the sensation of acceleration up to that point was downright boring. After it kicked in it was fun for about another 3500 rpm then it felt like the turbo gave up. There was no torque steer at all. I tested this by flooring it from a stand still with no hands on the wheel (in an abandoned parking lot.) Long story short: my 18 year old Honda with 165hp felt more agile yet just as fast. I hope beyond all hope that the fiesta feels much better. Too bad Ford doesn't have a warranty like Hyundai's.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

I've never driven the Veloster, but I test drove a Fiesta ST and right out of the dealer lot I floored it. I've never driven a turbo car until that, but I have a pretty good idea what turbo lag would feel like and I really didn't feel any lag. I hit the gas and it got up and went. I didn't get to do many curves, but I got on a turn around thing under a highway bypass that I had just driven my ZX2 on which is modified for handling. I took both cars through the turn at a decent speed and I think the Fiesta was the better car in that aspect. Steering felt good. Not sure on torque steer though, I didn't specifically test for it.

I'll be driving the Fiesta ST again at the Ecoboost Challenge Saturday on an autocross style course so I can better test the handling.

4. amathophobia

amathophobia Member

I am signed up for the ecoboost challenge on the 14th in Orlando. If the fiesta pulls hard immediately then it has a better chance of impressing me. I like my cars power and handling to be instant to the point of being twitchy.

5. wash

wash Active Member

The Fiesta ST does have a little torque steer but it also has electronic assisted power steering that tries to hide it so it feels pretty light 99% of the time and when you can feel it, its not too bad.

6. Audrey

Audrey Member

I wonder if the Veloster's lower to the ground profile has anything to do with your experience versus what others have said about the FiST? I like the look of the Veloster, but never really considered one... I don't even know how it compares price-wise to the FiST.

7. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

8. amathophobia

amathophobia Member

I couldn't agree more with those reviews. The veloster turbo feels like a soft econo-car that gets up goes slower than my less powerful prelude.

The one I drove was 22.5k and was really nice inside with leather high bolstered seats, 7" touch screen, and the materials felt pretty solid. Features wise it was right there with a base ST.