The COBB Fiesta ST R&D Master Thread

Discussion in 'COBB Tuning' started by COBB, Aug 22, 2013.

1. COBB

COBB Active Member

Hello everyone!

Our journey with the Fiesta ST has started and we'd like to keep you all in the loop as to what we've learned along the way. We'll be posting up every so often with pictures and technical information. We are just starting to piece together what will be a long list of discoveries and information, so keep an eye on this thread if you want to know everything there is to know about the COBB Fiesta ST! Also, feel free to ask us anything you'd like to know along the way.

Update: 8/26/13

We always want to know how our vehicles perform in stock form, so we threw this little beast on the dyno and began to gather data. We can see from the results below that the car is tuned quite aggressively from the factory and makes very consistent power from pull to pull regardless of heat. I was quite surprised at how efficient the 1.6L ecoboost motor is with its proper top-down direct injection design!

The car has been going through teardown and parts design for the last week, so we'll have some fresh information regarding all of the factory components for you soon. For now take a look at our baseline dyno results!

Update 8/30/13

The Worlds First Tuned USDM 2014 Fiesta ST, by COBB!

Let the tuning commence! The car was put back together in stock form so we could begin working on a Stage1 calibration. Our goal was to improve upon the factory strategy while maintaining a high level of safety, just like our Focus ST calibrations. We were able to make power gains from the instant your foot touches the pedal to the moment it bangs off the rev limiter (which was also increased btw...)! We'll continue to tweak even further from here but wanted to show you guys the potential just adding an Accessport will bring you without any other bolt on components!

What an amazing little motor! I was pleasantly surprised by how well the engine responded and performed pull after pull. Time to go test out some hard parts, stay tuned for more updates soon!

-Braden @ COBB
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    WRC Fan, aborbs87, Smokin and 7 others like this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Awesome. Can't wait!
  4. WRC Fan

WRC Fan Administrator Staff Member

Looking forward to it Braden. :thumbsup:
  5. Fiat slayer

Fiat slayer Member

A Fiesta ST with 250whp would be sick
    brian likes this.
  6. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I am ready to pull the trigger.

7. Fiat slayer

Fiat slayer Member

As soon as the access port comes out I'll probably get it
  8. WRC Fan

The COBB Accessport is going to be VERY popular on these cars!
  9. FiestaST

FiestaST Active Member

Just left some love on your fb page for the ST! keep up the good work. So excited for the discoveries!!!

I agree 250whp is perfect ;)
  10. Fiat slayer

Fiat slayer Member

with that power level these cars would make Fiat 500 Abarth, Subaru Brz and Scion Frs owners fear the ST
  11. wash

wash Active Member

They should fear the ST stock, 250 whp would embarrass all those cars unless they are heavily modded (power adder).

Ford made a 1.0 ecoboost with 220 HP for the Formula Ford that set the "street car" record at Nurburing.

If the 1.6 can support the same HP/liter, that projects out to 396 HP. That's probably not realistic but a 280+ whp Fiesta ST isn't much of a pipe dream.

In a 2,700 lb car, that's about the same weight to power ratio as a Mustang GT. That's what I'm aiming for.
  12. COBB

COBB Active Member

Updates are now available in the first post!
  13. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Im not too familiar with dyno tests etc so it may be a dumb question but, What octane are you running for the test?
  14. WRC Fan

Always great to see a baseline!
    xorpheous likes this.
  15. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Nice to see that big fat or flat torque curve that early .. It's like 50 to 80 ft-lbs more than my current ride at 2500 plus rpm :)
    ronnie karlen likes this.
  16. COBB

COBB Active Member

This is using 93oct fuel. The octane learning is just under the full amount for performance (-1.00) which means this car is running almost fully optimal for the stock calibration.

-Braden @ COBB
  17. Removed

Removed Guest

If I can get mine to 200 w/o overboost (~230 with) that would be about perfect for me (after I shave off 50-100 lbs with better brakes/wheels). That should be fairly easy, and fun to drive.
  18. wash

wash Active Member

When you run out of gas could you add some 87 and re-test, then fill up with 91 and do it again?

91 is the best I can get out here so that is the data I'm interested in and it would be nice to know how much I leave on the table with 87.

Then do similar tests on your various stage kits.

And find 105 whp somewhere too.
  19. drop360

drop360 New Member

Is it at all possible with ECU tuning to alter the brake override system? I would be very interested in being able to have it turned off completely or have the time delay lengthened to 5 or 6 seconds.
  20. FiestaST

FiestaST Active Member

can you post some videos of the dyno runs :)? and some behind the scenes stuff!! Can't wait for you to take my $$
  21. COBB

COBB Active Member

Another update posted today!