Tires nearly worn out, what to get?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Wheel and Tire Upgrades' started by AlanBDahl, Jan 21, 2015.

1. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

I just ordered a set of Vredestein ultrac sesanto in 215-40-17. I'll review them in a few months once it's thawed out here... 6 more weeks according to the rodent-ometer...

[​IMG]

Image of oem SES in 195-50-16 Hankooks and new summer shoes for diameter comparison.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Michaelquerty

Michaelquerty New Member

As far as using the stock size tire, I'd be tempted to buy Pirelli P-zero neros. Although, I have no experience with them and don't know if the lower price over the stock Bridgestones would be worth any traded offs that this tire possess compared to the stockers

4. KKaWing

KKaWing Member

The Abarth 500 community don't think too highly of the Pirellis... it uses the same size.

5. eRic

eRic Active Member

yep. a buddy of mine has a FIAT 500 Abarth and replaced the OE Pirelli P Zero Nero with Falken Azenis RT-615K

6. davidp

davidp Member

the conti DWS are great tires for a daily drive .. i had these on my 400+ whp genesis and liked them! nice all arounder and it's really quiet!
    you might check hankook's ventus v12 .. you can get it for dirt cheap and similar to a pilot ps2 in terms of comfort and performance.. it was good in the rain also ..

7. Golfguy11800

Golfguy11800 Member

Pilot super sports will be my next tire.

8. rcl4668

rcl4668 Active Member

I see from your post that you're open to considering summer tires as long as they have good wet handling. If you're willing to play around with sizing (215/40/17, for example), there are some really strong choices out there in what Tire Rack calls its Extreme Performance category: Yokohama Advan AD08R and Dunlop Direzza. As Golfguy mentioned above, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is another great Max Performance (not quite as much dry grip) tire with great all around capabiliites. That tire is kind of the "go-to" tire for the OEM suppliers/car companies for high performance sports cars and sedans. I don't believe it's available in the OEM tire size or in 215/40/17 but perhaps 215/45/17? Have fun!

9. Michaelquerty

Michaelquerty New Member

Can the fiestas speedometer be adjusted to correct for a slightly taller tire? Yes, I know it's not much difference, but there is a difference

10. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Not worth it. Use cellphone gps and one of the myriad apps available if you really need to know. The difference will only be a couple % though.

11. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

If the DWS came in the stock size I'd be all over them. I race on Direzzas and while they are great for that application when it's really wet they can't keep up as well as the stock tire so I've eliminated them on that basis.

12. razorlab

razorlab Active Member

Yes, there are applicable tables in the ECU that you can change if you wish to get anal about the speedo.

13. BrilliantBS

BrilliantBS New Member

If you want a great, comfy and quiet all season for wet, dry and snow I would highly recommend the Continental DWS. I have had several sets on my r53 mini cooper and even used them all through the winter. I can't say anything bad about them, especially given the price.

14. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

I love the DWS, my mom has them on her (formerly mine) Fiesta SES and my wife has them on her Mercedes hatchback. But I'm anal about keeping to the stock tire size so I've decided to go for the Michelins. I've been stretching out the OEM tires and the handling is getting squirrelly so as soon as payday comes I'm pulling the trigger.

15. KKaWing

KKaWing Member

I'm curious about the Federal 595 EVO in stock size, they're supposed to be decent for the price but they are a small Taiwanese tire maker and goes out of stock often. Then again, I'd need the car to arrive and in my possession in the first place... oh the wait =_=;

16. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

The Michelins are on the car and so far they are working well. The rubber has perhaps a little less grip but not so much it's noticeable and there's actually more traction because of the better tread pattern. We'll see how they work when we get rain but so far I'm happy.

17. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

We had an absolute downpour on Saturday and the Michelins worked great. Not quite as good as the DWS perhaps but still very, very good overall!