Tow Hook/Loop

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by MLKN, Jun 25, 2014.

1. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

I know this has been brought up before but I still have not seen a good solution. Has anyone found a bolt on solution?

Before I dump my car into the sand at Laguna Seca I want to know that they don't have to pull me out by my A pillars.

Thanks!

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

When are you going to Laguna?
    I'll be there on Labor Day w/ NCRC.

4. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

I was considering with NASA late in July. Every track in NorCal has a great Labor Day event but I'll be at a family function. :(

5. was-an-M

was-an-M Member

Still no solution that I know of.

6. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I am going to address that soon but whatever I do may be custom to my fairly modded car and not work for others but I will see if I can make it so it can be used by those needing them.

7. iLiptiKal

iLiptiKal Active Member

Are you thinking of a hook or a loop for this? I'm not a fan of the JDM style red tow hook on a daily, but a nylon loop that you can tuck away could prove useful considering we don't have a stock option.

8. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I have done both and prefer a nylon hoop I can tuck in and hide decently so that is what I will be working on:)

Looked at it today but did not work out any plans yet.

Firesail, jimclark and iLiptiKal like this.
  9. MLKN

MLKN Active Member

Just following up on this. Anyone found even a factory tow point under the car? I am tired of being asked "Where's your tow hook?" by the marshals on the grid lining up for the track.

10. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Anyone have a solution for this?

I'm on the track enough these days that it might be something worth having, just so I'm guaranteed that I'll never need it.

11. CrookedRacer

12. haste

haste Member

13. CrookedRacer

Well, I just may be welding up one of those for myself. Sounds like it is one of the few options we have. I wonder if they ever tested it under tow?

14. meFiSTo

meFiSTo Active Member

Ordered one yesterday. Looks perfect and the attachment looks plenty stout. I reckon you could weld it on there for added securement, but I think the crashbeam itself maybe is going to be the "weak point" (which is to say I think it would take a lot -- think car fully stuck in quick sand with just the bumper showing -- to defeat this approach). No matter what, most any front tow hook solution is probably going to attach to the crashbeam in some way. Maybe a welded-in tow hook (no screw-on element) with a strap would be more secure.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  15. raamaudio

raamaudio Active Member

I drilled a hole through the bumper beam and bolted a tow strap to the back side of the beam, long enough to go over the top and then just opened up a bit of the grill to tuck it through. Drilling the beam was interesting as pretty hard steel but other than that a pretty simple, effective, low cost mod:)

I am going to do the rear next.

Sorry no pics, if I come across some I will post them, I sold the beam, etc so no longer here to take any of it.

Rick

16. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

I just posted a couple shots of the FRPP hooks in my "race car prep" thread. It looks pretty good, but requires welding and bumper modifications.

17. Turboduck01

Turboduck01 Member

Eureka! haha. I never even thought about using the hitch as a tow point in the rear! My only concern would be using hollow vs solid bar stock... in my brief search I haven't seen anything for solid bar stock and the hollow recievers are rated for a 4000 lb ATV winch... whatever that means.