Track Day: Extreme Speed Track Events (Streets of Willow)

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by McRib 1s Back, Jan 8, 2014.

1. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

34 people now registered for this event.
    And 3 are Fiesta STs.
    This will be a great day.

Anyone else wishing to attend should get registered.

Spectators are also more than welcome.
    Come on out and just spend the day.

Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.

Dave

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Ken@mountune

Ken@mountune Active Member

Here are few images from the track day event. It was a great time and there was incredible interest in the Fiesta .
    McRib 1s Back is a great driver and the car was pretty fast with very little development. Thanks everyone for allowing me to hang out with you. I had an awesome time even though I almost lost my toes to frost bite. :) I hope to see you all again at the track.

fisttrackll-6.jpg fisttrackll-5.jpg fisttrackll.jpg fisttrackll-4.jpg fisttrackll-11.jpg fisttrackll-9.jpg fisttrackll-3.jpg fisttrackll-8.jpg fisttrackll-2.jpg

Attached Files:

4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Frost Bite ?? is that when it warms up and the blood in your feet flows again ?? LOL kidding
    Thanks for the Pics they look smashing and make me wish for spring... Though at my age i hate to wish ANY time away ;)
    Glad you all had Fun and came home safe..
    now who was faster ??

5. Ken@mountune

Ken@mountune Active Member

McRib 1s Back maximum attack. lifting the inside rear wheel.

fisttrackl-7.jpg

6. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

RodMoe likes this.
  7. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

The Z2s are great! Seriously good tires. Despite my illegal high-speed industrial "track" testing, I could not replicate the drifting on the track! I'm sad about that. The car was great, but I ran into some weird understeer issues (yeah, I had moments, but it really wasn't as loose as I wanted -- I'll fix that!). Anyhow, I sometimes ran in 3 run groups in-a-row, and the tires held up -- yes, they got a bit "greasy", but what do you expect? These really are better than R-compound from yester-year. Big thumbs up!

The Mountune IC is a must-have for this kind of event! Dave and I recorded some pretty low intake temps. It's a big difference, and I have to say that it's way more of an improvement over the stock IC than I expected! It's easily responsible for some of my faster times.

Also, the Molten Orange color of Dave's car is unbelievably photogenic. It's easily the best looking car to shoot. Ken captured a few very nice shots, but even more are available for sale with Extreme Speed's photo biz!

Dave and LateApex looked great. Really, the FiSTs represented! Oh yeah, we had a pretty fast Focus ST too. ;)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    Smokin likes this.
  8. McRib 1s Back

Oh yeah...

I rode with an instructor in a built BRZ -- only I didn't know it! I thought, man, this stock BRZ is pretty good!

He asked me what I thought of the car...

I said, "wow, that's seriously good for a stock BRZ" -- only to offend him. I'm good at that, BTW. :)

It had a roots-type super charger, custom coil-overs, and waaay more.

To be fair, the instructor was a great driver. I'll claim misdirection -- I couldn't believe how much torque it had! He had 245s and it sounded great. I had a helmet on, so I couldn't hear the SC and exhaust at work!

I said "I think your car has the same power characteristics of the FiST"..."no, your car actually has a fatter power band".

Yeah, it does. :)

9. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Yes,
    A great time was had by all.

Ken,
    Thanks for joining us,
    We are defiantly looking forward to the next event.
    We all turned a lot of heads.

[​IMG]

Dave

Firesail likes this.
  10. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

Understeer? Do you think the additional camber screwed with the geometry?
    How were your brakes? You're on factory fluid and pads right?

11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

and what were you running for front Camber? -1.5 on front if i recall correct ? and she still plowed ? hmmmm looking to hear more ;)

12. McRib 1s Back

I think my suspension geometry changes were net-beneficial. I'm afraid I simply didn't drive the car "correctly" (and I need to play with the air pressure more). Looking back, I think I really over-drove the car unnecessarily. I did stuff that upset the car and it's the kind of thing that more seat time will help me sort out. I was able to get around the track pretty fast, but I left a good amount of time on the track.

The springs were great! Somehow, I forgot to say that (I did get up at 03:00!). The Mountune springs are perfectly calibrated for our car. The stock suspension (paired with our shocks) comes off feeling really stiff (a lot stiffer than a FoST, for instance). This gets the ride height down for the good stuff that comes along with it.

My brakes are stock. I have some Motul 600, but held off on changes. I think a modest SS/pads/rotors upgrade is my next step!

I was obsessed with braking deeper/later, even when it wasn't warranted, and I was harder on the brakes than I needed to be. Again, I'll sort that part out. However, the brakes need help. I never lost them, but they got pretty soft after extended lapping. They aren't "FoST bad", but clearly not happy with severe track duty! :)

13. McRib 1s Back

Nope! -2.8 up front! :)

The car doesn't get much blame here (see my other related reply).

*This might become a double post; I was having trouble getting it to stick.

14. McRib 1s Back

Like Ken said, there was a pretty nice buzz about our cars! People seemed pretty universally happy about seeing the FoST and FiST. I think it was even suggested that we could setup a mini TimeAttack style competition between the friendly rivals.

Speaking of friendly...

I need to say that this was a very well organized event! The guys at Extreme Speed were great all around. They were very personable and made a point to talk to everyone. Two big thumbs up from me! I'm going back for sure -- I took advantage of their "discount coupon". I'm not sure if they do this all the time, but they offered a number of bundle packages for a nice price break. I don't recall what all of them were, but I bought the 10-pack. This is offered for $700. Apart from meaning that track days only cost $70 each with this model, you can transfer them or share them! You can even use two at once (bring-a-friend idea).

Elon (sp?) and Joel were easy going and fun. Elon said that he was seriously considering the purchase of a FiST.

15. Mr UFO

Mr UFO Active Member

16. McRib 1s Back

There are pads out there, but I don't know anyone that has personal knowledge about it. I'm going to head down that path very soon. I've done the dust shield trick too, and it really can make a difference.

Regular DOT4 (min) is 446 deg F (assuming no water in the system). I've heard that Ford uses a high quality fluid, but can't say from specific knowledge or experience. Good stuff in OEM use might be closer to 500 deg F. Maybe it's the relatively light weight, but these brakes were way better than I remember of my small cars of yester-year (like my old stock SE-R)! We know our pads are pretty aggressive too.

I think Ford really did their homework on the pads. Most magazines have recorded very impressive 70-0 and 60-0 stopping #s (and no real complaint on fade). This is one place that random replacement can result in a worse performing system. I don't need to change for sake of change.

Oh yeah, these super dusty pads for street use become comically bad on track use. :) I guess you really do either get good performance or no dust.

17. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Ok yes i saw the extended posts Thanks :)

18. late apex

late apex New Member

19. wash

wash Active Member

I know racers that swear buy Ford heavy duty DOT4 (I think that's the proper name).

If you aren't boiling your fluid, there is no reason to change.

If you take off the dust shields, make sure you hang on to them. They make a nice place to connect brake ducts to.

20. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

McRib,
    You should be looking into Porterfield brake pads.
    I have used them for years with great success.

Dave

21. McRib 1s Back

That's a good idea! I had some custom ones made for my SE-R. No doubt, they were good track pads. The carbon-carbon pads were louder than hell on the street, but I don't care about that so much. I found myself more concerned with disc wear! ;)