Track Day: Extreme Speed Track Events (WSIR: Big Willow)

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Road Racing' started by McRib 1s Back, Feb 4, 2014.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

Yep, those RS3s are high on my list!
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. late apex

late apex New Member

Yeah my son and I had a great time, despite trying to run with missing lug nuts! (thanks Dave for the extra lug nuts) The Nitto tires I was running up front were great, had 205 40 17's NT01. The grip.was amazing, handled the heat and not greasy. With just that and the H and R springs could keep up with almost anything in the corners. The straights not so much
  4. djdennehy

djdennehy Active Member

Did you guys have the chance to take any pictures or videos? Those of us in the Northeast are chomping at the bit to take ours to the track, so we are living vicariously through you!
  5. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

CarefreeAZ and Firesail like this.
  6. Firesail

Firesail Active Member

That car looks great on or off the track!
  7. McRib 1s Back

Dave sprung for the pro photo package. As noted before, it really is quite photogenic.

I made videos with the lap timer app, but haven't hosted any yet. I'll get a better mount and get some online.
  8. McRib 1s Back

The next Big Willow day is 3/29. I suppose this thread could be extended rather than starting a new one. I'm signed up! Let's get our party on! :)
  9. McRib 1s Back

For those that recently tried SoW or HTM, this is the next event for you! :)

While I'll admit that Big Willow is a "confidence track", you're far less likely to go off-track than either SoW or HTM (my observations and common driver anecdote). Extreme Speed Track Days does a great job of ensuring a safe event. It's super fun, too!

I'm aiming to have a new suspension setup for this day (sway bars and possibly new coilovers). Between that and better tires, I'm hoping to be a few seconds a lap faster. I know the right line, I just don't always drive it. ;)

Who else is coming?
  10. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I too plan to attend.

I will be testing our "Economical Big Brake Set".
    I also hope to be testing some suspension changes to make things better.

In addition it is planned to have a truly "Purpose Built Fiesta Track Car" at this event.

11. McRib 1s Back

Awesome! I can't wait to see your changes and the Fiesta race car! :)
  12. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

This phase of suspension tuning is done so we will see how it works.
    However the bigger front brakes are on an engineering hold.
    We are having an issue with the rotor and may not have new ones in time for this event.

13. McRib 1s Back

What suspension tuning did you do? I'm guessing you have a new or modified front sway bar (or possibly back to stock!)

Speaking of which, I was able to get the rear sway bar installed, and chose to leave the front sway bar stock. I did a few street miles and can say that the car seems more neutral, tending toward oversteer. I have no idea how it will behave at speed! :)

The coilovers didn't make it in my car, so we'll how this goes for the next event. I'm still planning to get my SS lines and new pads in before Saturday!
  14. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Definitely not back to stock.
    Details will be posted after testing.

15. McRib 1s Back

My car is very tail happy! It's nice, but very different than my last track day without the rear sway bar!

It's even quite noticeable on the street at lower speeds! Stock front, pre-ST rear, shimmed, and you'll have one oversteering party on your hands. Speaking of which, DBS managed a few sequence shots of one of my spins. :)

Overall, I was faster by a few seconds a lap. I opened with a fast morning session and gained a lot of confidence. By lunch, it was gone, and the car was no longer predictable. I had two dramatic spin-outs, but they ended safely. A few more inches of track, and I would have caught it! ;) Sliding around turn 8 at over 100 MPH is sketchy.

Fortunately, I figured out some favorable tire pressure settings, and I was back to feeling good about things. The wind really picked up, the track got slippery, and I just got slower -- all despite feeling like I was driving a lot better (typical at Big Willow in the afternoon).

For reference, the car was near the top of the run group -- even among vastly superior hardware (countless M3s, a new M5, Mustangs, etc.). Some of my best laps didn't record video, but I'll pick through the ones I have and get something posted soon.
  16. wash

wash Active Member

Sounds good.

A racer I know is very fond of a sequence of photos like that. It shows him being passed in the corkscrew at Laguna Seca while he is spinning and winds up going backward.

Did D1JL attend? How did his suspension setup feel to him?
  17. McRib 1s Back

Dave did attend and seemed very happy with his new setup! I'm sure he'll share something soon. :)

Also, I don't recall what happened to the Fiesta race car. Dave?
  18. McRib 1s Back

...I also tried "Sport Mode" stability control for a few laps. It definitely checks the oversteer but allows the car to play a bit. I even did exaggerated movements to induce it, and it works pretty darned well.

After reviewing those lap times, it was clear that the computer aid was slowing me down a bit (worth 1-2 seconds on the big track). If you just want a clean lap, it works -- if you want to go faster, you have to turn all of those aids off.
  19. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

"Cole Trickle: Whoa. Her ass is all over the place.
    Harry Hogge: When the rear end's loose, the car's fast. Loose is fast, and on the edge you're out of control."

Days of Thunder - 1990

Yes, I am very happy with the setup.
    Got rid of the understeer and as Cole said, "Her ass is all over the place."
    But just stab the throttle and that little ass just follows right along.

I have not spoke to Mark yet, something must have come up.
    I an sure they will make another day with us.

20. McRib 1s Back

Ha, that's pretty funny. Just so we don't confuse people, our suspension setup is different. I have a stock Fiesta ST front sway bar and Dave has something different. My car is definitely loose. I like it, but it's just way different.

Are you going to tell them more about your setup, Dave?
  21. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

Yah, I going to tell.

While both McRib 1s Back and I are using similar springs we also have the Eibach rear sway bar.
    McRib 1s Back is using the OE FiST front sway bar and I am using an OE non-ST Fiesta front sway bar.
    I was using the Eibach front bar and found it to be terrific on the street, at higher track speeds it was too much.
    Sometimes you need to try things to find out what really works.

Again I am very happy how things are working now.
    I am also sure the next suspension upgrade for both of us will be different springs.
    I am also hoping I will have larger brakes before my next track day.

Firesail likes this.