Track Day Gear

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by McRib 1s Back, Jan 11, 2014.

1. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I've run on the track, so I decided to update my gear. I bought my stuff on Amazon (I'm a big fan!).

I'm using a SImpson Bandit (black) helmet:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005JVOI9Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Simpson Sportsman Grip gloves:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R
    4UUI4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Racequip shoes:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QMBO4Y/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

K1 Race Gear Suit in B&W:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041QSG8C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It was tempting to spend a lot more money, but I decided to go with a good helmet and gloves, and saved a bit of money on the shoes and suit. The savings on the suit was by going with something cheaper than Nomex -- "Proban" in this case. It's still fire retardant, and meets SFI 3.2A/1 ratings.

It's a black and white color theme -- I didn't want to show up like a *total* Stig wannabe. :)

So, what do the rest of you use?

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. McRib 1s Back

...I'll also bring a pretty decent tool box with my torque wrench. This one is fantastic, has great reviews, and is often 50%+ off with free Prime shipping:

Mountain 16250 1/2-inch Drive Torque Wrench - 25-250 ft/lbs
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JFL89I/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I paid $65.46 for it. It's the best one I've ever used. If you don't have one, you need one. :)

Since I will drive there on my track tires, I don't have to carry an extra set of wheels/tires. It's only a 2 hour drive from my house in Long Beach (110 miles).

This 3 ton jack is what I use for all of my vehicles. It is a dual-piston setup, and a joy to use.

Powerzone 380044 3 Ton Aluminum and Steel Garage Jack
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UM7B98/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Valterra A10-0908 Red Wheel Chock
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006MRQXG/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a nice set of jack stands and a bottle jack when needed.

You want to bring some cold drinks and food, though this event provides lunch for the driver. Also, it's always cold in the morning and night! For this event, it will probably be very cold the entire day. It's far enough north of LA to get actual winter conditions. :)

4. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Can you recommend me a common tool box kit to keep in my trunk?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

5. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

When are you going?

Sent with my retro keyboard and mouse.

Dave

6. McRib 1s Back

Oh, I actually recommend against that. I only carry tools when I need them. Too much weight and rattling around! :)

That aside, I have a 200(ish) piece Crescent brand self-contained tool kit that I take to the track (or in my Jeep when offroad).

7. McRib 1s Back

SoW on the 2nd! I posted in the other thread.

8. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

I already carry a small low quality tool kit I bought from pepboys that I keep in the trunk organizer. Just was curious to what you carried.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

9. McRib 1s Back

That's totally fair -- and appropriate in a daily driven car. I don't even carry the full(ish)-sized spare. Instead, I carry a patch kit and an extra-large fix-a-flat style can (one made for a large offroad tire does the trick very nicely). I've had occasion to test this, and it works for most things you'll encounter in the city.

Anyhow, I just meant that this tool kit, that I recommend having overall, is too big to clunk around in your hatch. Even when I carry it in my Jeep, I strap it down. So, it's this kit and a bag with some specialty tools (that are different for my Jeep). It's pretty flat, but long and wide (and pretty heavy). It packs nicely, so it's not crazy to consider it. I was just projecting -- I know that when I carry a kit like that, I keep adding "one more thing" and the next thing I know, I have a lot of extra stuff that I don't need short of the zombies coming to town (plus, that's what my Jeep is for!). :)

Here's a photo (oh, and it looks like it's only 170 pieces):

crescent-professional-tool-148079.jpg

Costco often carries it much cheaper than the retail (which is about $130). I have two of these. One pretty much lives in the Jeep, ready-to-go. It's very decent quality for the money.

Edit: Fixed the broken HTML on the quote.

10. COBB

COBB Active Member

After having used a Proban material suit and a then a Nomex SFI 3.2/A5 suit, I'll never go back! I love the lighter weight and improved flexibility of Nomex.

Ian

11. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I never could afford a driving suit.
    The only one that ever fit had GOODYEAR painted on the side.

Dave

12. wash

wash Active Member

Harbor freight has a 1/2" torque wrench with ratchet head that you can get on sale for $20 and it has a blow molded case so it won't get bashed.

I just saw it in an email ad for 9.99 and a 1/2" breaker bar for 8.99 (hurry, offer expires tomorrow).

In my opinion the torque wrench is good enough for tightening lug nuts and the breaker bar is good enough for loosening them and they are cheap.

13. McRib 1s Back

Wow, that really is cheap. I have only one experience with a HF breaker bar -- it literally broke while loosening a lug from around 85 ft/lbs. I'm not a fan, but you could buy a few and still be ahead! :)

14. wash

wash Active Member

I think Harbor freight tools have been getting better, a little trickle down from things like Craftsman tools being made in China or wherever.

A lot of them have a warranty just as good as Craftsman so the quality and value lines are starting to cross.

I have one of those breaker bars and so far it looks like its holding up fine.

Lastly I think the Fiesta ST lug nut torque spec is 100 ft-lbs.

Mr UFO likes this.
  15. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

You are exactly correct, 100 ft-lbs (135Nm).

I do also buy HFT but for torque and breaker bar, I will keep my Snap-On thank you.
    But then I already have them and when I bought them, they were a tax wright off.

Dave

16. wash

wash Active Member

If I had a Snap-On torque wrench it would probably live in my tool chest, not my trunk.

The reason why I don't have a good one is that even the best clicker torque wrenches are accurate at the high end of their scale but if you're using the high end even a cheap torque wrench is going to be close.

If your torque wrench has a 150 ft-lb scale, 100 ft-lb is 66% which is not at that 80-100% where accuracy is guaranteed.

I think the only good way to tighten critical fasteners are calibrated single task tools, an electronic strain gauge torque wrench ($$$) or measure bolt stretch.

For me, buying a cheap torque wrench for a single task and using a breaker bar to loosen is the best bang for the buck and probably more accurate than a torque wrenched used for ten different tasks.

If I didn't mind spending $300+ on tools that would always ride along in my trunk, it would probably be a little bit more accurate but I think that's well past the point of diminishing returns.

17. McRib 1s Back

This reminds me -- all four of my wheels were uniformly torqued to a value considerably lower than 100 ft-lbs! A lot less. I'm curious if others noted rage when changing or rotating wheels?

The torque wrench I linked is fantastic and a good deal. You know quality when you hold it in your hand.

I believe HF tools are getting better, but I regard them as disposable. I don't know the actual torque value, but I can tell you that the simple task of removing a lug from a compact car wheel bent it!

I'm into good tools, and I agree that almost any label can create them. I don't want this thread to be become a debate about that. Almost all tools are made in China (breaks my heart). If HF tools work for you, rock on! :)

18. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

I totally agree.
    As I said above I do buy/use HFT.
    If I didn't already have the Snap-On tools I wouldn't buy them today.
    One other good thing is that that I have a life time calibration on my torque wrench and I have it checked once a year.
    In addition, it does live in my Snap-On tool box but I do take it with me when I need to.

Dave

19. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Harbor freight tools are still pushing the limits of how low quality I'm willing to pay for. I tend to stick with Craftsman, but Northern Tool stores seem to bridge the gap between Harbor freight and Craftsman. I've seen decent tools for modest $.

Smokin likes this.
  20. McRib 1s Back

There's a Harbor Freight that's five minutes away from my house, and it is convenient for the variety of other types of tools and accessories that really are disposable! For instance, they have great deals of latex gloves that I use for changing the oil on my vehicles and various clean up (and to dispense diesel!).

Making this be slightly back on-topic, I also buy the variety of metal and plastic brushes for clean-up. The brass brushes are great for cleaning any kind of surface rust on rough parts, and the nylon/plastic ones are good for the wheels, etc.

One very random thing that I bought there, and don't see anywhere else (in retail) is a trapping cage! They make and regularly stock three sizes. My backyard used to be a transit station for the neighbor cats, possums , and raccoons! I don't have that problem anymore. :)

21. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I have a Craftsman torque wrench bought in 1978 when I started racing. Still works....