Tuning tires for top tier times

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Cligedy, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Got some information from a guy who ran a Mazda 2 in STF last season. He did my alignments for my mini and is going to work with me on the ST as well. Based on what Ford did to the ST he thinks it will be good to go for a g stock car. As I am sure you all know Ford increased in negative camber in the front, decreased it in the rear (we will look to maximize font (-1.5)and minimize rear (<-.7) and ensure the car sits the same on both sides with me in it), lowered the car, stiffened the rear beam, increased the spring rates and re valved the shocks...all things that the fiesta and mazda guys were doing for STF. Next step is finalizing the wheels and tires (watching these threads for that information)...then optimizing the alignment

We talked about running the car in a non-stock class, but right now that would be lots of trial and error and too much money for me to worry about. Would rather play with the car in GS, build some seat time in it and then re-evaluate what to do for next season once people have a chance to try stuff out.

He sat in one with his helmet at the dealer and with the sun roof and recaros thought it was tight...I have recaros and a sunroof, but he is about an inch taller (he is 6'00") - that being said first thing I am doing when I get home is getting my helmet to see where I am in the car. I can tell you the seats do not get as low as the ones in the mini did which felt weird at first..

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. WScottCross

WScottCross Well-Known Member

I'm also watching closely on the tires. I have BFG KDW-2's that I was running on my '11 SES. They are pretty good and will be a decent starting point and then I'll upgrade sometime after the Auto-X season starts here.

I'm also 5'11" and I have recaro's and sunroof and I don't have any problems with helmet clearance.

4. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Glad to hear it you fit.

5. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

"lowered the car, increased the spring rates" kicks you out of G-Stock and G-Street. Of course if you're just competing locally the region might not mind. if you're at a divisional or national look out...

You can change shocks and either sway bar, but you cannot change the spring rate or ride height...

6. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Right, I know. I didn't say that was what I was going to do we were discussing what he did to his 2 for STF, basically everything that Ford did to the ST. So, at this point the only thing I am doing is alignment, wheels, tires, then run the car in GS this year.

Smokin likes this.
  7. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Have you had the alignment done yet? Does it look like there is any decent adjustability in there?

8. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Not yet, want to get the Wheels and tires first then bring it down. He has to get access to the shop when it is not open so he can do the alignment with the driver in the car. Normally he times it when a few of us can get down for the day. As soon as I get it done I will let you guys know what we were able to get.

Smokin and Cligedy like this.
  9. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

10. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I was trying to find that out. Thanks.

Have you put them on? do you know what kind of numbers I can shoot for? I had heard it is about -1.5 out of the box, but can not verify that.

11. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

The way I understand it is that the camber bolts are only legal if the OEM service manual specifically mention them. Is there any way to confirm that?

12. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Not yet. Just got the car 2 weeks ago.
    From my notes; these are the changes from a base Fiesta:

The rear torsion beam uses heavier-gauge steel than the non-ST version’s, making it 70 percent stiffer. Also, the rear tires have much less negative camber, -0.6 degree versus -1.5, to reduce rear-axle grip, thus providing a more neutral balance. Bushings at the rear are also firmer than those fitted to a standard Fiesta.

[​IMG]Ford redesigned the front suspension knuckles for more negative camber, -1.2 degrees versus -0.7, benefiting at-the-limit grip. The knuckles’ slightly shorter steering arms quicken the steering ratio from 14.3:1 in the base car to 13.6:1 here. The geometry changes also raise the roll center, thus diminishing body roll compared with the base car.

[​IMG]Spring rates are up all around, by 20 percent in the rear and 36 percent in the front. A higher roll center and stiffer springs enable a smaller front anti-roll bar (0.7-inch diameter) versus what’s in the regular Fiesta (0.9-inch diameter).

Slowclimb likes this.
  13. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Yep, that's a gray area. I'll be checking on that...

14. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

This confirms what I heard and seems like a great place to start...really looking forward to driving this car in anger.

15. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I am going to send this question to some of the guys who keep closer track to the regs then I do. I know that this was a common swap for some of the Civic guys when I started, not sure about the fiestas though.

16. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Yep and they do it on Mazda 3's, Ha Yun Dies, and other tinny pieces..

17. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

So got back confirmation that in 13.8 you can swap bolts only if offered by the manufacturer for alignment correction even if it is outside factory specs. He is checking the Ford Parts Catalog for the parts.

18. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

As an aside, I just talked to FSWERKs about the H&R camber bolts. There was some confusion initially, but I received an authoritative "no they only fit the regular Fiesta" answer.

I'm not worried about SCCA rules, and I'm getting my car aligned on Friday. I really want to get more negative camber -- it's surprising how little the car gained by dropping it 1".

19. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

For those interested there are currently not any camber adjustment bolts in the Ford catalog for the st. I was advised to send letters to the scca to ask them to allow after market bolts, it has worked in the past. Otherwise there is very little room for much adjustment, Jeff said we could probably get a couple more degrees by loosening and wiggling. He is going to try a trick vw drivers use to remove most of the camber from the rear.

20. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

BFH ??

Slowclimb and Firesail like this.
  21. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Hyundai doesn't make them either but they are allowed on the Genesis.