What changes for 2015?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Autocross' started by Slowclimb, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Mightymango

Mightymango Active Member

I could sit it in (the rack is 50 feet away from where I sit) but with so little adjustment...not sure how much it would help. The good news is that my co-driver weighs almost exactly what I do.

Des is going to be running a wider tire and a front bar, so I'm curious as to how he does in comparison.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Couldahadav8

Couldahadav8 Active Member

1. I have a "custom" 3" straight pipe catback exhaust.
    2. Just ordered the Koni struts for the front.
    3. I have a take-off base Fiesta front swaybar to install. I think there is something to the idea that this will help with camber gain in the front. With the ability to adjust rebound with the Koni's, I think it will be a useful mod. Cheap and relatively easy to reverse. I am going to see if I can make it adjustable.
    4. Going to install a KN or similar filter
    5. I am planning on going with some 16x7 wheels maybe some green Sparcos with 225/45/16 star specs. There are some interesting new options out there too with the new Bridgestone, BFG, and Kumho pending, but not sure on sizes.

Funny thing about alignment. My steering wheel is a bit off center when going straight. It tracks straight, but the steering wheel is a bit cocked. So, I asked them to fix it at the local Ford dealer. The tech drove it, and it was dead center for him. I got in, and in order to go straight, the wheel was cocked to the right. We concluded that my extra 100 pounds of human was causing the steering issue. So, there is some rationale to having somebody in the seat when aligning. They got it closer for me, but not perfect. I decided to quit worrying about it.

4. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I am not sure either...I know on the mini and the miata it was noticeable.

5. Mightymango

Well a front bar on a Miata will be noticeable, interesting on a Mini.

6. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Sorry...meant sitting in the seat...made a big difference in my alignment.

Mini I did a big rear bar - big difference
    Miata Big Front Bar and no rear bar...I was STS so could swap both.

7. Mightymango

Ok, I wasn't sure as the post came right at the same time as another.

I wish the Fiesta had the Mini suspension so it would be a no brainer that the rear bar does something.

8. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

I wish it did too.

9. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

So aside from the Star Specs what other tires look good. I keep thinking the Hankook would be a good tire...but there does not look like a good size fit for a 16 inch wheel. From what I hear though they are good in later runs where the dunlop suffered. My understanding is the new Star Spec Compound was designed to overcome that.

10. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Also the new version of the Hankook is supposed to work better when cool, less so when hot. Also, my experience with the Rivals says that the 225/50 is too big. I was leaning towards the kooks this season, looks like ZIIs are it for me.

11. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Rivals have a 215 45 now...that may be a good alternative if you like how the rivals drive. Toyo also has an option...it is about 25 more per tire...but it could be good.

12. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

I don't like how Rivals drive, but that is a good size. Not liking them isn't the same as not being fast with them too. That size may improve how it drives too.

13. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Ordered the Konis...at 552 I could not pass them up.
    Wheels should be here mid April and will order the Dunlops some time before that.
    Still not sure on the Front Bar.
    Definitely looking for an alignment and getting the Koni's put on prior to April 1st

Mightymango and jimclark like this.
  14. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Given current finances, I may have to settle for wheels and Dunlop ZZ Star Specs only. Those are necessities, and I don't have funds available for Konis and/or new front bar beyond the wheel/tire setup at present. If more cash becomes available, my first addition will be the Konis. That all said, the biggest thing I want/need is drive time.

Slowclimb likes this.
  15. Mightymango

Wow...that is REALLY cheap.

16. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

Where did you find them for $552? If I could get a set that cheap I might not wait.

17. Slowclimb

Slowclimb Active Member

Race Consulting Agency