What Don't You Like About the FiST

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by D1JL, Sep 19, 2013.

1. rweidman

rweidman New Member

How does everyone rate road noise and ride harshness as compared to the non ST Fiesta. I have a '11 SES and am getting the ST on Monday, hopefully, and wonder how much extra noise to expect.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

I removed the metal key from my primary fob and hid that on the outside of the car. That way, I can at least access the interior. The second fob is hidden inside the car in a RFID secure passport case so that the car's electronics do not recognize its presence.

4. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Way cool ...

5. Marco

Marco New Member

Interesting idea, that's like a high tech version of "key in the sun visor"

Actually, a lot of classics had push button start, as it was easier to wire a key for completing a circuit and a button for the starter than for a key to do both things (plus locking the wheel which became a law). I don't think the key will be making a comeback due to safety reasons (key in the knee).

6. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

Road noise and harshness are completely subjective, but for me daily driving ZX2 (economy car) setup for handling, and with the Fiesta (also economy car) setup for handling the Fiesta is much quieter inside. While I've never felt my ZX2 was all that harsh in the ride quality (some people who drive larger vehicles may think otherwise), the Fiesta ST was a smoother ride while also being able to handle much better.

Did you make sure the case actually blocked the fob? That's not a bad way to go.

7. CarefreeAZ

CarefreeAZ Active Member

Been driving that way since the second day...tested with different cases to find smallest, more effective. It is a sweet way to make sure you're never locked out AND have a way to get home.

RodMoe likes this.
  8. wash

wash Active Member

If nitpicking is allowed, I think it would have been better if the push to start button was on the left and if we had a dedicated keyless plastic molding for the steering column instead of a plugged hole.

I've read that Porsche cars were designed with the left ignition for a ~LeMans start so your right hand is free to put the transmission in to gear.

I know cars aren't designed to start without the clutch depressed and other nanny checks but it doesn't hurt to make it look like it was done intentionally.

Speaking of that area of dash, I've had exactly one car with a perfect turn signal lever, an 1987 Mazda RX7. It pivoted on the dash instead of the column and the lever was maybe 3" long. The key feature was that it pivoted almost 45° when you signal and off was horizontal, you always knew when your blinker was on. Long column mounted stalks that move 15° are nowhere near as nice. The RX7 also had it perfectly positioned for a fingertip flip with your hand on the steering wheel. I miss it often, especially after I realize I've had my turn signal on for a mile inadvertently.

9. Sil3nt611

Sil3nt611 Active Member

Having never driven the Fiesta ST I had no issues finding and using the turn signal on my test drive because it is setup so much the same as my ZX2. I think what it comes down to is how similar it is setup to your previous car. You have gotten used to something the other way and you go to use it and it's not there. I do this a lot when I drive an automatic and I go to push in the clutch pedal and shift. Then I'm let down and driving becomes boring. :p As far as leaving the turn signal on, if you don't notice the blinking light on the dash or the sound of the turn signal inside the cabin you likely won't be looking at the turn signal stock either. At least I wouldn't be.

10. Ataru

Ataru Member

While I don't have my FiST yet, I have noticed a few things that bug me from sitting in them.

1) The moonroof sits too far back to be useful. The leading edge of the moonroof is behind my head when I sit in the driver's seat. If I can't see sunlight from it with my peripheral vision, then it's useless.

2) The floor under the cargo floor is not carpeted like it is in the regular Fiesta. It can't be that expensive to slap down the carpet in the ST as well.

While we're talking about it, why not have cargo compartments under there like the Focus has, or at least make it an accessory that you can add on.

Or better yet, there's so much room down there, why not a subwoofer and amp for the premium sound system?

3) Speaking of sound systems... With the dash so deep, why did they put the tweeters in the doors behind the door pulls and not in the dash or farther forward on the door? This made Ford put in a DSC setting to correct the soundstage for the driver since the speakers are too close on one side. Our Focus Titanium has a great soundstage without resorting to DSC trickery because of better speaker placement and a center channel speaker.

Those are some of the nit pick things that bother me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

11. Noah

Noah Member

As a huge Porsche fan, I think it would be sacrilege to put it on the ignition on the left if the car came from anywhere but Porsche. Its Porsche's tradition and there is a reason nobody else does it. Oh and once again, SCREW KEY FOBS

12. wash

wash Active Member

Plenty of LeMans cars not made by Porsche have a similar setup.

They may have been the first (I'm not sure, I kind of doubt it), they are known for it but I'll be damned if I say anything doesn't belong in a car just because Porsche is known for it.

There are plenty of good reasons not to copy Porsche (the Panamera is ugly as sin) but they are practical not ideological.

13. Devon

Devon Member

Plenty of reasons to copy Porsche as well - they have the highest percentage profit per vehicle of any of the major manufacturers, definitely doing something right. Thank that obsessive German engineering thing...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  14. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

Their build quality and reliability is also peerless.

15. Noah

Noah Member

My point was the ignition on the left is a Porsche Tradition. It's kind of like Saab and their center console ignition. It's a unique aspect that's come to be an identifying factor for a brand. Can anyone else think of any other examples of little small quirks specific to one brand?

16. Devon

Devon Member

Their initial quality reports are peerless; long-term they can have issues though. It's widely acknowledged in the P-cars community that there are 911s from several years that are best avoided as used cars because of engine and other weaknesses.

17. Noah

Noah Member

Yeah the 73.5 cars up to the SC were pretty sketchy. My dad has two vintage 911s (71 and 88) and the only problem he has had has been a gearbox problem in the 71 because the old owner sucked at driving a stick.

18. wash

wash Active Member

When it comes down to it, a car is a car, no matter what the hood emblem says.

A friend of mine had a 550 and sold it because it was too slow. I used to make chassis reinforcement plates for a certain Porsche that is known for getting sloppy in the middle. I also made cross drilled brake rotors and high performance exhaust that were sold for ludicrous amounts of money because people will pay through the nose for anything that fits a Porsche. Its no different than making parts for a VW except no one will pay Porsche prices for something that fits a VW.

Its not only Porsche, I know of a certain multimillion dollar Ferrari vintage racer that has some really ugly factory welds on the chassis. You can spot the repairs because they don't look they were made by a drunk Guido with a MIG gun.

19. Ataru

Ataru Member

Guys, can we pull this away from Porsche and back to the FiST please?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

amathophobia and mrtn like this.
  20. mcummings182

mcummings182 Member

I don't like the layout of the My Ford Touch screen. I hate how it is split up into 4 sections, it looks dumb

21. kvetcha

kvetcha Active Member

Hypothetically, it's for ease of use. You can jab at a specific corner and know which functions you're accessing.