What Don't You Like About the FiST

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by D1JL, Sep 19, 2013.

1. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

I don't like the wipers with a mind of their own. I don't like that the back automatically wipes when u put it in reverse if the front wipers are on. And the extra wipe of the front after you spray the windshield washer fluid. Very annoying.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. WmJay

WmJay Member

You can turn the extra wipe off somewhere in the MFT menu. It's labeled there as a "courtesy wipe". As for the rear wiper going on when you're in reverse, that only happens when you have the front wipers on. My Honda CR-Z did that too. I guess as a safety thing? Either way, it never bothered me much.

4. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

I always liked the rear wiper going in reverse since that is when I use the back window the most.

5. mrtn

mrtn Active Member

Really... Thanks for the tip I'll have to look for it!

6. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

I wouldn't mind it except that it's usually a dry wipe when it happens. Dry wipes = scratched glass, especially if you drive dirt roads.

7. coffeeslug

coffeeslug New Member

My list: 1. banging my elbow into that center armrest when I shift grr. It's forcing me into some kind of limp-wristed meringue-whisking motion. 2. I can't get rid of that blinking circle around my arrow on the nav screen...that's annoying! 3. rear sight lines. Hey looking out the front windshield is great, but trying to see stuff behind and back left and right kinda sucks.

8. mamiata1

mamiata1 Active Member

My biggest complaint initially was the height of the load floor in the trunk. Why'd they raise it up like that? You lose a good 4 inches of space. But I just went out there and realized that you can relocate it under the corner tabs and gain about 4 inches back which I calculate to be about another 2.25 cubic feet of space. While going up north for a long weekend this can make a sizeable difference. Pun intended. Also It's been mentioned and I know some people here are sick of hearing it but I also really wanted a 3 DR however I will admit the 5 DR does have it's advantages. Like BRGT350 I'm not a big fan of the center console/armrest. Occasionally I do bang my elbow when shifting.

Oh, and I don't know if this has been mentioned but it's hard to read the clock under the hood in the information center without ducking a bit.

AND like my old SVT Focus the heated seats will blister your butt before the system ever turns off. Does anyone even know if the system will automatically shut off before frying your butt cheeks? I never found out in my SVT and I doubt I will here either.

Does anyone smell bacon? :)

9. Mikeygti

Mikeygti Active Member

My heated seats seem to be on a, on for 10 minute/ off for 5 minute cycle. No complaints really, keeps the bunz "toasty " :p

10. peoples1234

peoples1234 Member

Everyone is different.

I hate that they are single setting, they cycle on and off, when they cycle they only stay warm for a few min before cycling off.

11. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

I agree that the touch screen is not very responsive. Seems that I need to use the corner of my pinky finger to hit things like scroll bars and the audio controls. Aside from that I like the system, though I don't have experience with any infotainment systems from other manufacturers.

The shifter feel is good, but definitely throws are too long from the factory. I installed the Mountune kit which makes the shifter feel and throw just about perfect. I would like the shifter moved or angled closer to my leg. I investigated shimming the assembly to tilt it, but the console is in the way. Ideally for me, when I get into the reverse gate I want my hand to bang my leg. On that same subject, the reverse lockout spring is too weak. I guess I like to play with the lockout sleeve when sitting at a stoplight and twice ended up in reverse when the light turned green :-/ I shopped for a stronger spring with no luck and ended up modding an extra spring from my Logitech G27 steering wheel and pedal set. It's about twice as stiff as the stock spring and fixed things right up!

The Recaros fit me just right, but I wish the driver seat was height adjustable lower. I feel like I am sitting high in the car, but it's a minor complaint.

I also have a '12 Focus SEL. That car has a bunch of little features that would be cool to have on the FiST, but I am not going to complain. The FiST hits a price point that makes it a great value in my opinion and all those other features add weight and cost ... neither of which I want.

I agree that the wheel bolt pattern doesn't make for a huge list of available wheels, but I expect that to get better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. spangenb

spangenb Active Member

Oh yeah, the heated seats! My Focus SEL has variable seats. The FiST needs some variability. The on/off seats are way too hot to leave on. If anybody knows how to retrofit some adjusters, I would love to hear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. onederer

onederer Member

What don't I like about my Fiesta ST? Welp, not a whole lot. But, I'd have to mention the occasional blinding by the bottom trim of the steering wheel.
    And the fact that no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get more than 26mpg. (likely my gas foots fault)

At first I hated the raised trunk, but now I just stash certain items under there in a small motorcycle tank bag.

The mood lighting thing can suck an egg. I HATE the fact that I decided not to get the Recaro seats (I am 240ish pounds...I am told some of that HAS to be muscle. Might have a bit to do with the mileage thing too :p) I never really thought about that fact that I would break them in with my ample frame.

I don't like the idea of having cup holders right in front of speakers. I don't like the skinny selection of wheels available.

It took a while to get used to the pedals too. My 2002 Subaru WRX feels like my foot is a direct part of the gas and brake pedals compared to this car. The WRX pedals are heavy and positive. The ST pedals by contrast are so light that I find myself looking like a bobble head.

With all that being said...I love every second in this car. The things that I love about that car are the engine (even the engine bay does sound a bit like a tiny diesel at idle) the steering is so good for being an electric box and the handling is sublime and the comfort on the road is the cherry on top.

14. Noah

Noah Member

26 is nothing. I'm convinced something has to be wrong because I can't beat 22.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

15. takuarc

takuarc Member

There is nothing I don't like about it, this being my first performance car can't realy tell what other cars does what better. But I do wish I can have hids though. Some roads here even certain section of highways lack proper lighting at night. Having retrofitted a set in my previous hatch, it is sorely missed...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

16. moshaholic2

moshaholic2 Active Member

No locking glove box

17. aborbs87

aborbs87 Active Member

Just press down on it instead of up, and it will give you a single wipe.

18. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

4-108 lug pattern !!

envyist, LotusZX3, Mayhem and 2 others like this.
  19. jariten

jariten Member

Just over one week in, 3 things.

1st, and I'm getting over it is the cocked forward headrest. I typically sit bolt upright (I do this at work and home as well) but I can't in these seats without cocking my head down and looking up through my eyebrows. So I've been screwing around I think I've found a slightly reclined position I'll be good with. If it doesn't I'll be heading to an upholstery shop and have it redone.

The other two are the horrible hard arm rest and the bargain bin sun visors (not to mention their stupid nearly nonremovable stickers). I've contacted JPM Coachworks (they make extremely choice pieces for the BRZ and others) to see if they'll take on our car, if not I'll get them covered locally somewhere.

Other than that I'm good to go until it gets warmer.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

20. takuarc

takuarc Member

Oh. The one thing that ticks me off is the lack of auto door lock when you pull off :p I live in a country known for its crime so...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

21. Mayhem

Mayhem Active Member

Hmmm... complaints?

Mostly, I find that I am liking everything a lot more than I expected to. TBH I was skeptical about downgrading from a Raptor to the ST. So far the ST is helping to make that transition a lot less painful. Love'n this little car. Definitely not disappointed.

The arm rest is indeed useless, but I don't have the issue of hitting my elbow while shifting. So far I don't think that has occurred a single time. But at the same time, I cannot use it as an arm rest... I don't know who's arm is supposed to go there, but it certainly isn't mine. o_O It's a bit smaller than I'm used to, but I appreciate it as a storage bin.

Wheel/tire selection is def one of the bigger downers. That said, I do have a set of wheels in mind that I know I'm getting. Tires.... not so much.

That rear spare tire... I can't get it anywhere near low enough to put the floor on the lower setting so far..Still not a fan of the unfinished floor under there. Will keep trying to get that tire in further though..

Sound/speakers/radio controls/ etc.... the whole audio set up.... Not impressive tbh.. It's certainly something I can live with, it's not awful. It's not impressing me though. I don't know that I expected much more but... a larger CD changer, and somewhat better audio quality would have been great.. I am not "crazy" about the console controls/audio controls.

I actually find visibility in general and rear visibility to be great. I'm surprised to hear complaints about that. The headrests don't bother me much.. I thought that might be one of my early mods... but since it's not really an issue, I'll be postponing that one.. So far, I don't find they get in my way... Visibility is better than pretty much every other vehicle I've driven, but I guess it depends on your vehicle history/back ground.. and what you're comparing it too... Certainly worse rear visibility than a motorcycle or a convertible :troll:

Granted, I still prefer the visibility in my Raptor, as it was higher up and I could see over top of a lot of vehicles.

Yeah, I guess one major gripe.. the tires. Living in BC I just don't see the value in the stock tires. Options or at least geographically logical tires.. would have been fantastic. Anyone want to buy stock wheels/tires? lol I'm not crazy about having to go tire/wheel shopping immediately upon delivery just to take it out of the garage. Driving the family's mini van all week is not what I had in mind. But the tires were already spinning at 4 degree's. I'm often dealing with -4 in the morning... so no dice.

the 17's lookin a little to rubber band-ish for my taste. I like the grip provided by the size, but.... I am leaning towards 16's.. just because I hate thin rubber. I hope I don't lose much in the way of steering/handling moving down to the 16's.

What else? I think that's it. Anything else would be dealer/delivery specific... Or the...front plate bracket from the factory.... that isn't cool.

Otherwise, what I don't like..... is how much I feel the urge to go down into the garage to peek.... or sit in it...