What is this on the front struts?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chat and Discussion' started by reddog99, Feb 16, 2014.

1. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

I was crawling under my ST today for some Sunday afternoon entertainment and discovered this thingamajig bolted to the front struts. I looked in the shop manual, and although I'd guess it's a reciever for the TPMS, the manual says that the BCM is the receiver, and I couldn't find any pictures of it anywhere. My 2011 Fiesta didn't have these either.

I tried Googling the part number and only found a Swedish salvage company selling the part with no name in the description (that I could read). So does anyone have a guess?

ronnie karlen likes this.
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. ohskigod

ohskigod Member

Something related to the torque vectoring ?
  4. wash

wash Active Member

Wild guess but maybe part of the electronically power assisted steering (EPAS)?
  5. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

Read somewhere on a different forum that they were thought to be a type of Mass Damper
    And a quick google popped this nugget ;)
  6. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

Well, "mass damper" doesn't make any sense. It's aluminum. And not very big either.
    As for the grinding brake pads, I don't know about that either. What's the strut got to do with the brakes? If the brakes are grinding, there's a basic problem there.
    That Swedish site I found the part on had taken it off a "B-Max" car.
    I tried entering the part number in Fordparts.com and came up with nothing. :cyclops:
    I wonder if it's on the base model Fiesta's?
  7. McRib 1s Back

McRib 1s Back Well-Known Member

It's true, that unit really is there to combat NVH. I went through the same thing when doing my springs. Apparently, many Fords have this kind of attachment for the same reason...
  8. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

From FordParts.com

RodMoe likes this.
  9. BRGT350

BRGT350 Well-Known Member Staff Member

Vibration damper mounted on all Fiesta's with 17" wheels. It is new for us in the US since we have never had a Fiesta with factory 17" wheels until the ST came out.
  10. D1JL

D1JL Well-Known Member

So take them off.

Maybe you will get a buzz and like it.

11. RodMoe

RodMoe Well-Known Member

hmmmm Oh nevermind it's way left of center LOL