What shocks are available for the ST?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chassis Upgrades' started by AlanBDahl, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Unofficial rumor is that Koni sports will be available late summer. FYI.

2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

Has anyone heard anything about Bilstein coming out with HD or Sport shocks? Coilovers are a bit extreme for me, and I love the way Bilsteins ride.

4. hyatt

hyatt Active Member

I posted a question about the future availability of Bilstein HD or Sport shocks for the FiST on their Facebook and got this response back today:

"Hi Kyle - We are currently in development on B8 (Sport) shocks and struts for your car, and are actually hoping to get confirmation on a B14 coilover kit for it. Check in again in a little bit, and we should have some more info for you!"

I'm pretty excited at the prospect of decent damping without going to coilovers!

no-pistons likes this.
  5. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Who makes the OEM shocks? Anybody know? Are they a direct-from-Ford product, or sourced elsewhere?

6. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Even direct-from-Ford parts are sourced elsewhere. I think we can rule out the big players (bilstein, koni, etc) since they need so much time to come to market for the FiST. There are lots of Tier 1 shock suppliers out there. I would be curious to know who builds our shocks too. Any Ford insiders on here?

7. reddog99

reddog99 Active Member

I don't know about the ST, but Monroe makes the shocks for the "other" Fiesta models.

8. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Thanks, reddog. I suspect Monroe probably is the supplier for the shocks for the FiST.

With regards to our hopes and dreams for shocks/dampers from Koni, Bilstein, or elsewhere, I worry we may be hampered for a while by numbers. With fewer than 10,000 units on the road in NA, and perhaps 50,000 more in Europe, and only about, say, 15% of buyers being interested in modifying their vehicles with new shocks, or similar, and only half of those actually doing it, and then splitting that market even just two ways, a company is looking at producing a part with annual sales of perhaps 4-5000 units. And I suspect I'm being generous on the numbers of FiST owners who are interested in this. If they could engineer a part that fits not just the Fiesta but other vehicles as well, but still does what we want, we could see things much sooner--e.g., the sharing of parts with the other/regular/"normal" Fiestas.

I'm looking forward to Koni Sports becoming available, and also hoping that Bilstein gives us another suitable alternative. From what I understand, after wheels/tires, shock absorber swaps are probably the biggest and best path to improved handling in autocross and track duty.

9. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

Hopefully, because fitment is similar between regular fiestas and mazda 2s we can still hope

10. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

Oh, hey, I'm hoping like crazy! Right now I'm working mostly on my own skills; my prayer is that by the time I've figured out a little bit of this autocross thing I'm doing, the shocks will be ready, and it'll make a difference for a good (okay, fair) driver.

11. moff3tt

moff3tt Active Member

I am kind of in the same boat. It seems for now however, the rear shocks are holding us back in autox but the rear shocks utilize a very common fitment so I have been reading about other's experimenting with shocks from other makes and models.

12. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

So Crooked, any updates on the insert install?

13. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

Actually, yes! I've been exploring several avenues for getting the pieces together, but I've taken matters into my own hands. No more waiting for a repair shop to replace struts (that are rarely replaced) so I can have the old ones. No more searching for a machine shop with a lathe that does metric threads. The nice guy who did this for his Focus is all booked up until July.

The UPS truck is "Out For Delivery" as I write with my very own 48mm x 1.5mm pitch tapered thread-tap.

I'm going to tap my own threads into some donor strut tubes I found. I may even try it out tonight if the tap is delivered by the time I get home. The nice thing about this solution is that I can make more if it works out. For a reasonable price ;-)

I have also been collecting other items, like the stock upper brackets for the rear shocks. I'll need to drill them out to accept the single-adjustable VW Beetle Koni Sports (a-la Couldahadav8: http://www.fiestast.net/threads/scca-autocross-setup-thread.362/page-28#post-21501). I bought the brackets so I can return it to stock. I'll also buy some Energy Suspension eye bushings that will accept the Fiesta's 12mm bolt for the bottom of that shock. Again, so I can throw the stock ones right back on the car if I want to.

I'll be updating my thread on http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...d-fiesta-st-g-street-autocrosser/85752/page1/ in the coming weeks.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    Cligedy likes this.
  14. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Excellent. It sounds like great minds think alike; I looked into buying one of those taps myself. The best price I found was something like $150 so I backed off of that idea. Please let me know how it works out for you.

15. CrookedRacer

CrookedRacer Active Member

16. Sena Pratama

Sena Pratama New Member

FYI, I fitted Koni STR.T (Orange) on my 3-door Fiesta ST with no issues.
    These were the ones listed for the normal Fiesta & Mazda 2.
    Ride quality is so much better with these, I've kept the stock springs, so the ride height is unchanged.

David Heavey, mossdahaus and Sekred like this.
  17. mossdahaus

mossdahaus Member

Exactly what I have been waiting for...thank you for doing this!

18. BlackBird

BlackBird Active Member Staff Member

How close is shock housing fitment between the Fiesta and Mazda2?

19. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Anyone else try these koni STR orange struts on our US 5 door?

20. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

I spoke with people who know and they said the orange Koni's are like the yellow Sports at full soft. Full soft was WAY to soft on my GTI so I think they would be so for the FiST.

As you see in the other post the Koni adjustables are in.....

21. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

The koni adjustables are not available for our FiST yet correct?