What shocks are available for the ST?

Discussion in 'Fiesta ST Chassis Upgrades' started by AlanBDahl, Mar 25, 2014.

1. jimclark

jimclark Active Member

The rear shocks are available or about to be--mid-August is what Koni was claiming for the adjustable rears. Fronts are not available, at least not yet. (For either the yellows or the orange.)
  2. Register or Sign in

Advertisement Sponsor

3. Smokin

Smokin Active Member

Yes, check the autocross thread. No. wait, check this topic. I posted at 11 AM yesterday...
    They are in to Koni NA. Will now get distributed.

Mine should come today or tomorrow...
  4. David Heavey

David Heavey New Member

Are you still running the Str.t's? What are you longer term experiences, this seems like a perfect solution to the over hard rear suspension on the Fiesta ST. I would appreciated any thoughts. Thanks
  5. Cligedy

Cligedy Active Member

Don't know about the Srt.t shocks, but even the koni yellows ride smoother than oem
    Smokin likes this.
  6. David Heavey

David Heavey New Member

A bit of Feedback.
    I have tried Koni Yellow adjustable sports set at their softest setting, and the change in ride quality is minimal.
    I hope this helps.
  7. NJBooST

NJBooST New Member

I completely disagree with that last comment. I just installed Koni Yellows on stock springs today and the difference in ride quality is night and day. Compression is lower on the Koni's. I have the rears set at one turn from full soft and the fronts a little less than one half-turn from full soft. Both my stock front passenger and rear driver struts were blown and covered in oil. The stock struts are awful. And this is on a 2016 with 10k miles.
    Smokin likes this.
  8. stuntdoogie

stuntdoogie Active Member

Wow stock struts blown on 2016? Thats crazy.
  9. captainmorbid

captainmorbid Active Member

There seems to be a few for every model and year of the Fiesta so far. Probably rare, but common across every car manufacturer.
  10. KKaWing

KKaWing Member

Bilstein listed B8's for the ST's over on the European catalog.

Bilstein B8 Sprint [FL:22-245212, FR:22-245229, R:24-239349]
  11. NJBooST

NJBooST New Member

Of course they become available right after I went with the Koni's. I had B8's and FRPP springs on my FoST and it was a great combo.
    The stock FiST struts have way too much compression from the factory. At 7k miles the dealer replaced a blown passenger front strut under warranty. And now 3k miles later the same strut and drive side rear were both blown. The Koni's have a touch less compression and it's made all the difference. Railroad crossings and segmented freeways no longer require a pretensive cheek clenching. I still have to dial the rears in a bit, but the car is so much more predictable. Especially when hitting uneven road surfaces mid corner. What used to be an unweighted dump truck is now equal to an E46.
  12. David Heavey

David Heavey New Member

Mine is a UK 2 door ST and with Koni Yellow Sports fitted on the rear only, and on maximum soft setting the ride is the same as the standard setup. Maybe the 4 door is different.
    I seems the Twist beam is so ridged that it makes little difference to what damper or springs you fit.
  13. David Heavey

David Heavey New Member

14. David Heavey

David Heavey New Member

Please excuse me one and all. NJBooST, is absolutely right. I had fitted Koni Sports to the rear only and believed I had set them to their softest setting in fact they where nearly one full turn hard. Have re adjusted them to their softest setting and as NKBooST says the ride is transformed. The Car rides perfectly as a touring car. Problem solved, I drove 250 miles of bumpy mountain roads yesterday with no jolts or bangs. My apologies to anyone who was misled by my earlier post.
  15. Phreak

Phreak New Member

I just fitted some Koni rears to my car last weekend, I have them cranked up to the firmest setting to start. Just driving around the difference is minimal compared to stock shocks, maybe a bit more bouncy if I had to be picky about it. Honestly I don't care about comfort at all, that isn't what I am after.

This upcoming weekend I have a 2 day test & tune where I should be able to better evaluate if they have any kind of performance value over the OE dampers, and more importantly, see if they result in quicker times.

Anybody know what is going on with the Koni front shocks for the Fiesta. I still haven't seen them in distribution and I am not interested in running inserts or base Fiesta versions.
  16. MrEss

MrEss Member

They are the same as for the basic Fiesta. You will have to remove or zip tie the ford designed harmonic counterweight because Koni is not going to add the cost of that bracket and the added cataloging expense just to accommodate that minor difference. And yeah, these shocks transform the Fiestas handling! I kept the stock coils when i swapped in the Koni sports. It is much easier to live with now
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  17. AlanBDahl

AlanBDahl Active Member

In my experience the rears act funkly set to abolutely full hard, like all of a sudden they will lock up solid. Adjusting them to 1/4 turn down from full hard made a world of difference. At full hard sometimes the back end would unexpectedly come around. At the slightly softer setting the car is very composed. Adding Koni fronts helps even more.
  18. MrEss

MrEss Member

Yes. There is no need to set the rears to full firmness. Especially if you have lightweighted your Fiesta by removing the rear seat assembly. I have only done tweeks to the front adjustments so far. Things like fuel level, battery location and tire/ wheel size and weight, really change the Fiestas handling behavior. The car also gets more "adjustment sensitive " if it's autocrossed in the wet.